Truck engine problems WCV

The MAT 3's are sweeeet IMO. It doesn't over center and yet it still gets similar or better side reach compared to an over center unit while giving you another degree of freedom. The bottom boom will go to 100 or 110* I believe, not a big deal.

I do wish my Genie was a 75' machine, that would be awesome.

Here is hieght plus side reach.

Attachments

• Elevator%201.jpg
    Elevator%201.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 75
Ed, it could be an F-650, F-750 or F-850. They all look identical from the outside, the differences will be in the frame, suspension and brakes. If you can count the leaf springs and see if it has air brakes, we might be able to guess the exact model number. ;)

That setup isn't all that heavy so I'm guessing that it would ride just fine on an F-650 chassis.

Hey Steve, sorry about derailing your thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I consider it an honor.

I just returned from purchasing a donor motor. It's the one I found on Craigslist. It has an air compressor so I might see if I can keep it and have compressed air on my truck for cleaning saws and airing up tires. I have a date with my cousin to go pull it out a week from tomorrow.

We test ran the "new" engine today.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-k1iM1pw0tQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-k1iM1pw0tQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Pretty responsive too. I'm getting excited. My cousin and I couldn't get it to start because the solenoid for the fuel pump is different than normal. We assumed that it needed to be energized to turn on but it is always on and you only energize it to shut the motor off. So he called his other Cat mechanic buddy who has more experience with these motors and is the other guy in the video. Another curve we had this afternoon was the starter and alternator are 24 volt. I'm hoping we can get all this stuff off of the donor motor which is 12 volt.

We went and pulled out the donor motor today. This motor is in a truck that was flipped on it's side and the motor wasn't shut off right away so it ran out of oil.

Attachments

• motor 014 (Medium).jpg
    motor 014 (Medium).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 6
  • motor 015 (Medium).jpg
    motor 015 (Medium).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5
  • motor 016 (Medium).jpg
    motor 016 (Medium).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 6
  • motor 017 (Medium).jpg
    motor 017 (Medium).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 7
Any progress on the truck this week, Steve? I'm looking forward to seeing your truck back in production again.

I spent all day switching stuff from the donor motor onto the new motor. Got the exhaust manifolds on, the pulleys for the fan and power steering pump, cleaned the transmission yesterday, I have to go to the donor motor guy and get the plate for the torque converter to match up with the plate that I have on the flywheel. I also am taking the starter in to be rebuilt as it looks to have significant wear on the bendix. The starter on the new motor is 24 volt so we will use the one on the donor motor. Ordered a bunch more gaskets and locks and crap like that from the caterpillar dealer. My camera is in San Francisco with my daugher or I would have some pictures. Is this TMI?

Sounds like alot of messing around. I sure hope it all works out and gives ya years of trouble free running when you're done.

Squisher, you are right. Trying to save a few thousand has made for a lot of messing around for sure(I'm not being a smart ass). I worked on it Sat afternoon and all day monday and a few hours today and I can't see where I have made all that much progress. I hope it all works out and I have made my decision and will have to see it through, but I'm getting impatient.

Back