Truck engine problems WCV

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like you're coming down the home stretch, Steve. I know it's going to be great for you when you get it back in service. A little break-in and getting used to the new motor and you'll be set for years.
:)

I certainly hope so Brian. My cousin keeps me on the straight and narrow and doing things right. I'm wanting to start throwing things together to get going, but I know that doesn't work very well.

Today I mounted the transmission cooler on the front bumper as there is not enough room for it inside the grill. I took a piece of expanded metal that I had to the local machine shop so he could shear it and break it for use as a cover in front and on top of the transmission cooler. We also worked on plumbing the power steering stuff and have one hose to install tomorrow and ordered a hose to fit the radiator to the top tank. The first picture is the console that we made for the transmission shift lever, PTO cable control, hand throttle, the guages, and the 2-speed button. The second is the the transmission cooler on the front bumper of the truck (how cool does that look) and the last one is the console from the passengers seat.

Attachments

• truckfriday 003 (Medium).jpg
    truckfriday 003 (Medium).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3
  • truckfriday 004 (Medium).jpg
    truckfriday 004 (Medium).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 5
  • truckfriday 006 (Medium).jpg
    truckfriday 006 (Medium).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 4
We got the motor running today. Drove it around the yard a little and got in the bucket for a little spin. Still have a few issues. The motor started leaking oil out of the bell housing. We removed the transmission and the torque converter then the flywheel and discovered that there are two holes in the crankshaft flange for which there are not corresponding holes in the flywheel. The flywheel which was originally on this motor had holes for these two holes, but the flywheel that we put on which fits the allison transmission flange does not have these two holes. So we looked at the crankshaft flange on the donor motor and it has these two holes plugged with threaded plugs which we couldn't remove. It was too late to call the Caterpillar place in Stockton to have the plugs shipped down in the AM so I will pick them up (assuming that they have them in stock) tomorrow when I return from visiting my wife in Sacramento. I thought we would get it all buttoned up today but maybe tomorrow. The new pump for the hydraulic system is larger than the old one and as you would imagine the boom moves noticably faster.

Motor is running

Spent most of the afternoon yesterday testing the motor and making sure everything is OK. Here we are running the motor kind of fast to heat it up and setting the thermostat on the electric fans. I have a leak in the tranny that I will investigate today and we are planning on putting the headache rack on and the hood. I have an appointment Monday AM at Mitchell Muffler and Custom Exhaust. It doesn't have anything on the motor now. The exhaust just comes straight out of the manifold. Good day to test the cooling system as it was 103 here yesterday.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oa1kI8hFEtI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oa1kI8hFEtI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Business trip, Butch, have to be at a training in Bend, OR at 0800. Laptop and free interweb access.

The FS drafted me to become a liscensed ATV instructor. So all this week I am getting tutored.

i want another highway video:D

I wanted to make sure your heartrate had returned to normal before I shoot another highway video.:)
I ran it up and down the road today. Seems like you have to almost floor it to make it upshift. There was a crack in the oil pan of the transmission and we pulled it off and brazed it up and then it was still leaking transmission fluid and we tracked it down to a plug missing right under the PTO lever. While I had the pan off I saw a filter I didn't know it had and I had to go to Modesto to get a new filter and a pan gasket. I think the missing plug is where the sender for the PTO light screws in. This is all up on the upper part of the transmission right against the floor board and you can't see much of anything. This was about 5:30 and my cousin had to go "take care of some business" (sounds kind of fishy:)) so I just came home. We got the headache rack and the hood on, and finished all of the wiring today. I scheduled a job for it on Friday and now with this PTO leak thing I don't know if I"m going to make it. I had an appt at the muffler place this morning and I moved it to tomorrow and now I'm not going to be there first thing in the AM like I said, but I might make it a little later. Is this enough drama for a reality show? Wrenchmen?

Nice swap! I have 2 non-turbo 3208's, one in the old Bruin loader truck and one in the Louisville crane truck. Very fuel efficient engines. Not powerhouses but good engines.

Nice swap! I have 2 non-turbo 3208's, one in the old Bruin loader truck and one in the Louisville crane truck. Very fuel efficient engines. Not powerhouses but good engines.

It has way more acceleration than my non-turbo 8.2 L Detroit had. You need hearing protection when ever you accelerate.

I have always heard good stuff about those 8.2's. Read on another forum about Rockys problems a year or so ago and have started hearing more about them. 3208's don't have a strong following among some but I have had good luck with the ones I have owned. Recently purchased an F600 with a 6.6 for a chip truck.I always heard bad stuff about these engines but then I realized that another tree guy that was always bad mouthing them had 3 or 4 trucks with them that he had been running for quite a while....

I have a 6.6 in my F-700. I've heard they're terrific engines but no power, and that would describe mine pretty well so far :D. No glow plugs seemed weird to me but I've had no problems starting mine even in the dead of winter.

I have a 6.6 in my F-700. I've heard they're terrific engines but no power, and that would describe mine pretty well so far :D. No glow plugs seemed weird to me but I've had no problems starting mine even in the dead of winter.

And that ain't no weak-kneed winter our boy Squish be talkin' here...that's a strong endorsement.

Well guys, halla freakin luya. I used my truck today. Took it on an emergency job in Patterson (my hometown) and everything seems to be OK, and then went and did a palm tree take down in Modesto. It has way more power than my old motor and seems to use substantially more fuel also.:cry: My camera had dead batteries today or I would have got some pictures. The new hydraulic pump seems pretty noisy when not in use. As soon as you pull on a lever it gets quiet. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks Squisher. I ran about 20 gallons of diesel through it today.

That's great news, Steve. Sorry that it's so thirsty. Maybe the fuel economy will get better as things get settled in.

Back