Tricks of the Trade.

• Thread starter Drella
  • Start date
  • Replies 92
  • Views 10K
Here's a trick I just learned today. I can't believe I hadn't figured this out in 25+ years in the tree biz, or maybe I did and I just forgot. :?

When cutting a large stump, plunge the bar into the center and then a little beyond. Then make a big circle around the stump, keeping the tip near the center, but cutting backwards, so to speak, using the TOP of the bar. This pushes all of the chips into the kerf, keeing the stump from sitting down on the bar as you finish the cut. When you're done, the bar will just slide right out and those chips will act like ball bearings so the stump can be pushed off easily. Simple, huh? ;)

That sounds like a winner. I'll have to give it a try.

Back to blocking a spar as to weather to use a FS or just step down.

I have to agree also with Butch, DMC, and Burnham. I find it much easier and less complicated to just work your way down a spar and make the cuts just standing on your spurs using your lanyard and your climb line as a second safety.

The Sherrill method or the picture of it is a waste of time. Using a rope guide is a complicated affair to get set-up for the amount of time need to use it then have retrieve it or get it loose enough to fall down to you if it does at all.

If you need to have a TIP on a spar to make a cut with a saw the ring / ring FS either fixed or adjustable like RR's is the simplest and easiest to set up. On a super smooth spar like a Sycamore I can see that this set-up can just fall down the spar when you need it to. I have not had this kind of luck when using a FS of any type on a spar. I have always had to unlock the darn things and reset them because they get hung on a little bump, stub, even little suckers that haven't beem cut clean. I am more partial to the Buckingham FS than one made of rope although I do use both just depends on what I am doing.

I like the way Wagnaw has rigged that second tie in. Looks like it could come in handy once in awhile.

It works good on softwoods like pine. Not so good on hardwoods. Seems to jam up if you have to cut a good ways with the top of the bar.

I usually just bang a wedge in the kerf as close as I can get to the top of the bar after I've cut 90% of the stump. Then when I finish the cut, the stump rocks up away from the saw.

thats what i do also except ill set a wedge in the back to keep the kerf open, then when its nearly cut through ill put 2 more between the bar and halfway through the cut, pull the first wedge out and finish cutting, stump tips up off the bar8)

Packing sawdust into the kerf works well if you don't saw back and forth with the bar.

Makes me laugh when I see a guy using a chain saw like a hand saw

This is very true. Tricks and energy saving techniques should be used for what they are; not as replacements for lack of abilities and training.

Dave

WOH! What's all this about lack of abilities?! Sure... I have the 'ability' to work on a leaning tree, but why not do it in a safer, easier way? My bad for not being as punk rock as you guys. :roll:

As for the munter hitch... I keep a short sling with two carabiners on it for redirect, but I also use it for this by clipping the one biner into my saddle or hitchclimber, then tie the munter out past my friction hitch to aleiviate most of the weight from the hitch. I know a couple people who just swap out their hitch with a gri-gri when working a spar, so they don't have to worry about the munter, which twists the rope, is a little bit of a pain, etc... Take that for whatever.

The pants... I geeked out a while ago and bought some arborwear tech pants. They're nice I guess, but too expensive I think.

I've always thought about setting up some kind of system like the ones pictured. Never got around to it though. I double wrap my lanyard and that helps to keep my in place, the hardest part of leaners is cutting a nice notch. I always seem to get it done within the "KISS" system though. The less shit on my saddle the bigger my smile is.

WOH! What's all this about lack of abilities?! Sure... I have the 'ability' to work on a leaning tree, but why not do it in a safer, easier way? My bad for not being as punk rock as you guys. :roll:

Your talking about something different. It's the climber who fights the tree and is uncomfortable working up there so uses techniques that are slower and less efficient to get the job done.

Ever see a climber who doesn't want to use spurs even tho they struggle and work twice as hard finding or making foot holds?
Ever see a climber set up a complicated system which takes way to long to set up and is unnecessary, because they are just don't have the skill to see the big picture?

I watched guys spend way too much time fiddling with some system of roping when they could just quickly set a line, get up in the tree, and get the job done.

This talk reminds me of guys setting the 'perfect' tie in, and taking hours to do it, when picking a lower less desirable tie in will get them into the tree and get the job done.

I hear the excuse of 'I have to do this so its safer'. When actually they are spending more time than and energy than is safe setting up some weird system to use on just a small section of the tree.

I worked with a guy who would ask me to set his line. If I threaded the eye in the 'wrong' direction, he would ask me to re-thread it through the crotch. So I would have to stop what I was doing, go back, and fiddle again with his line. Finally I just told him to be happy with what he got and start climbing and help with getting the job done.

He told me in a put down way that I was too focused on 'production' climbing, as if he was a gourmet climber and I was some kind of slob. He would tell me that he was being safer. I would tell him he was being inefficient and lame.

Way I figure it, climbing is fun, but I am there to get the job done safely and efficiently.
If I want to do a rec. climb and play with new techniques and equipment, I will do it on my own time, not on the job site.

A good sign (for me) of a 'bad' climber is when they hang in their rope gazing up at the tree for long periods of time. As if plotting out every single detail of what to do and where to go next. Instead of simply getting their ass up there and doing what needs to be done.

Wagnaw, my apologies. In no way was I implying a lack of abilities on your part. The internet reaches many, many people, many of whom do not have well-developed skills. It was to those still learning that my comments were directed. It is so very important to have the basics well-engrained prior to using advanced techniques.

My bad on not making that clear.

Dave

true frans but at the same time chunking out big wood is very hard on the knees and hips when done old school. i usually do it old school and am sore for the next day as opposed to possibly setting up a system like this to give a few minutes change while you face up the chunk. wouldnt use it much but i like the idea for my bag of tricks .02

Ever see a climber set up a complicated system which takes way to long to set up and is unnecessary, because they are just don't have the skill to see the big picture?

I watched guys spend way too much time fiddling with some system of roping when they could just quickly set a line, get up in the tree, and get the job done.

This talk reminds me of guys setting the 'perfect' tie in, and taking hours to do it, when picking a lower less desirable tie in will get them into the tree and get the job done.

I hear the excuse of 'I have to do this so its safer'. When actually they are spending more time than and energy than is safe setting up some weird system to use on just a small section of the tree.
He told me in a put down way that I was too focused on 'production' climbing, as if he was a gourmet climber and I was some kind of slob. He would tell me that he was being safer. I would tell him he was being inefficient and lame.
...Instead of simply getting their ass up there and doing what needs to be done.
Wow, I agree totally with Frans' words and message! Is Jupiter aligned withe Andromeda, or what? :?

I've had to pay primadonnas dinkin around with some newschool method and gear, and hearing the same "safe" rationale.

Bull-loney. Climbing is a means to an end, but too many "industrial athletes" lose sight of that.

IN my opinion, a 'journeyman' climber should know, or be aware of, just about every trick used in doing tree work.

I have used my climb line overhead when making a face cut, sure. It works pretty good especially when hauling around my 660. I have also tied the big saw on it's own line before. I have also used two saws, a small one to make the guiding cuts, and the big one to cut through.

All of them thar tricks should be in the arsenal and used when they are most efficient IMO.

Except for the ball bearings. I draw the line there.

[...]

I've had to pay primadonnas dinkin around with some newschool method and gear, and hearing the same "safe" rationale.

Bull-loney. Climbing is a means to an end, but too many "industrial athletes" lose sight of that.

You can leave me the hell out a this!:cry:

Back