Tree felling vids

Nice work, Nick. Like the reverse editing, too. Just wondering, it's hard to tell in the vid ... why such high felling cuts? Was the drop zone short?

Good job! :)

I was sure that the first oak would fit, but there was some speculation so Billy cut it from his spikes. Looking at it after it fell, it would have fit but it worked out fine either way.

The second two trees, also oaks, had a twisted trunk thing going on.. Of those the one where we took the top out had a heavy lean over the smaller maple. Billy tied into the left one, straight and tall, and descended to the leaning part of the right one. He put a shallow hinge and a shallow back cut at 90 degrees to the lean. I had a line high out at the end and was cranking on the Maasdam A20, we were able to pull the entire stem over 8 or 10 feet before it snapped and the top cleared the small maple perfectly.

As I went to fall the first of the two twisted oaks, I didnt want to plunge into the the second spar accidentally or have to plunge while setting the back cut of the first one. I set the face cut way up high just to be sure. The second of the two twisted oaks I cut a block off the stump from the first to get it a bit lower but since I am pretty tall I just went ahead and cut it from there. Look at 3:53 - 4:00 and you can see the twisted stumps.

As far as the rest of the stumps go, we went around at the end of the day and flushed em low. I usually save the ALAP'ing for the end just in case, since I only have one large saw.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Thanks for the details, Nick. Again, nice vid, nice work. :D
Like that shoulder 'weapon', too. ;)

I can't say as I've ever seen one cut from 10-12 feet in the air but it worked out okay ,good job .

Now as far as root hogging one out with a dozer of which I've done many ,you're better off with the whole tree .

Besides not being able to use a full sized sledge to pound wedges 10-12' is no different than blowing the top out at 1/2 way or cutting it from the ground. We just wanted to make sure it would fit, although it almost assuredly would have fit anyways. I would have most certainly gone with my gut and felled it from waist level, but technically it was Kentucky Chris's jobsite as laughable as that was. So he wanted Billy and I to drop it off the hooks so we did.

This guy didnt make it into any of the video really but he was a trip for sure. If you can imagine what white trash is, wherever you are from, this guy is what you see in your head.

for the record: Nothing against Kentucky, thats just where he was from, I love kentucky its a great place.

Like that shoulder 'weapon', too. ;)

Yeah thats the APTA device... (air powederd tree access). I broke my shraeder valve tossing it around which gave me some issues as far as pumping it up or else I would have included that footage. I have meant to fabricate a shroud over it but with my plans for the new prototype I just never got around to it.

What you see there is the extruded fire extinguisher model, just 2.0... 3.0 is coming soon! teaser: Barrel will be set inside reservoir, giving it a total length of 24" and a much truer shoulder mounted firing technique more akin to a shotgun.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gwH4TTwNxo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was wondering if you were wondering if it was going to reach it's maximum length of stroke? Then I guess you would have to stack wedges and such. I wonder if then spitting out could be a concern? :\:

Wow Willie you get all the fun! I cannot say I have ever been near or felled some thing like that. Great work! I have climbed some bigguns and pruned the like, but nothing like you have there. Awesome,

I think it is 40ish ton. It wasn't leaning back too far and I set a pull rope in it while I was cutting a few limbs off so running out of stroke was no real concern. Wood hauling is tomorow

Nice work Willie!!! How thick was the plate on top of your jack?

I have a set in my shop that belongs to another guy. I'd like to pick up a set but the tree savers are $1500 used and I get alot more throw from that big bottle. I can borrow Kevin's if I really need to.

Jack, there were 2 plates, that quarter inch angle and a 3/8 flat bar

Steel plates to spread the load so the ram doesn't just sink into the tree, you can see one fall off as the tree lifts off

Back