Tree felling vids

K Peter, I'll give it a try. Did you like,the dog leash retrieval reel at 10:50?

I did. I've been trying to figure our a haulback system that will pay out without snarling. I wonder about a fly fishing reel with throwline, adapting the reel technique for in-tree throwbag work.

No criticism here Bix: Man, you really know what you're doin in them broad-limb trees. Man, for such an arid and hot region, you guys have got some PIGS down there. I wonder how those Oaks can even get that tall down there. Jealous of your SRT skills. That 200T of yours sounds really good BTW. Funny thing about that 361 you were using: I've never seen the paint on a bar wear like that before. Yeah, your chain seemed a bit dull here and there. Tip: if you round file, then get the "goof" file from Baileys, and do it just as you would the round way. MORE better.

Oh: and I know why you were bore cutting them limbs.... Cause it's fun, dangit. But don't tell Stig I said that.

I will defend his boring technique here. Black oaks are notorious for being hollow and/or punky in the middle. Blue oaks are more fibery and a heavy head can hurt you easy. I will agree, he did not need to use it on all his cuts. He did mention this was a while back. Probably using the boring and learning by it. Probably making sure he did not get screwed on the cutting. I can see he wanted some direction because he faced almost every cut. A triangle coos bay is not in play as soon as you put a face to it. More of a trapezoid at that point.
our trees can vary in how they hinge from year to year since we are a mostly drought state. Good rain year, better hinge wood species dependant, Drought year, it can bite your ass.

I did. I've been trying to figure our a haulback system that will pay out without snarling. I wonder about a fly fishing reel with throwline, adapting the reel technique for in-tree throwbag work.
Sean, word is a Spencer's Logging tape with throwline works great, I'd like to try a fly reel set up too, mine jut collects dust.

Thank ya Jed, these people didnt want to mess around and decided the trees were to close to the home, getting too big I guess. The 200T was rippin', just replaced the carb not too long ago. I'll have to check out the 'goof' file... And yeah it is fun borein' them limbs...

Murph, your gonna have to show me next time your around, hope your doing well boss.

Oh, Jed that's a 362' I had just got it from the shop (maybe they forgot to hit the rakers?), this pine tree beat it up purdy good... I like my 361 more anyway.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Sf8qFCfty8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
:rockon: another older fellin' vid

Happened upon this..beautiful tree. Sad to see it cut down. It reminds me of some of the pictures in Jerry Berank's book.

Some good tree work. This guy actually used kerf cuts to prevent tears...have only seen it done in the books. Except once in awhile when I add them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KEGkRfdOpMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use sapwood/ kerf cuts when the time is right... squirrelly grain by a bunch of knots on a pine almost bit me in the ass once, tearing down toward my lanyard. One other time when I was dropping a spar tight between two houses, at the stump. Hinge started tearing down until the hitting the sapwood cut. Don't know it it would have pulled it. If it had, it would have been bad news bears.

I've had it once falling a large pine on a steep hill , bark tore right down to the roots and made me loose my footing, almost almost slipped down the bank . very rarely do i put kerf cuts on ground fells. eucs salix betula, stringy stuff i try and remember em:teeter:

I will defend his boring technique here. Black oaks are notorious for being hollow and/or punky in the middle. Blue oaks are more fibery and a heavy head can hurt you easy. I will agree, he did not need to use it on all his cuts. He did mention this was a while back. Probably using the boring and learning by it. Probably making sure he did not get screwed on the cutting. I can see he wanted some direction because he faced almost every cut. A triangle coos bay is not in play as soon as you put a face to it. More of a trapezoid at that point.
our trees can vary in how they hinge from year to year since we are a mostly drought state. Good rain year, better hinge wood species dependant, Drought year, it can bite your ass.

I wasn't knocking boring those limbs. I was curious. Next willow I do I will try it. Willow and boxelder are a nightmare. They start giving out the instant you get in the back cut and split, pop, and hang from the cut.

That last video didn't impress me. Pretty tree for sure. That saw was a piece of shit and he horses it too much. An injury in the making. Besides that, some of that wood needed to be roped down. Landing those limbs close to the house is all good and fine, but Ive seen one too many limbs land tips first and spring the butt wildly. Yes, you can land them flat if you know how to work a saw, but a lot of things can take place on their journey to the ground that you don't plan for. For me, and my customers, a few of those limbs by the garage would have had a rope on them just to be safe.

Good job again Bix. Man the crane removals are sweet sometimes, but they're always weird aren't they? Nothin like buckin a log in midair eh?

Yeah, Mistahbenn: I was thinking he was probably a left-hander, because why a right-hander wld ever cross his hands over like that I don't know. His 201T sounded like it was ported out pretty good. Man, I still hate those pigs though.

The young kids are always so much braver when it comes to dropping big branches close to the house. Man, I'd NEVER trust our ground guys with a pull line like that. They must have a pretty good relationship. Still, isn't it the climber's job to get the pig down more or less by himself, while the ground guys chip brush. Always gets me scratchin my head when I see a vid with a TON of brush on the ground, while the climber just pigstys even more crap on top of it. Who works like that? "Hey I know you guys have a ton of brush to chip, but I need you to grab this stupid pull-line for me, cause I'm too lazy to go out there to take it smaller." Or why not just run the friction yourself off a limb, on a lowering line? Then, all the ground guy has got to do is untie the knot. Man, I just got on a rant...

Ha!! That's funny Tucker! You beat me to it while I was typing out my thesis. Said the exact same thing didn't cha?

That last video didn't impress me. Pretty tree for sure. That saw was a piece of shit and he horses it too much. An injury in the making. Besides that, some of that wood needed to be roped down. Landing those limbs close to the house is all good and fine, but Ive seen one too many limbs land tips first and spring the butt wildly. Yes, you can land them flat if you know how to work a saw, but a lot of things can take place on their journey to the ground that you don't plan for. For me, and my customers, a few of those limbs by the garage would have had a rope on them just to be safe.

Right on. He got away with it that time........

Who works like that? "Hey I know you guys have a ton of brush to chip, but I need you to grab this stupid pull-line for me, cause I'm too lazy to go out there to take it smaller." Or why not just run the friction yourself off a limb, on a lowering line? Then, all the ground guy has got to do is untie the knot. Man, I just got on a rant...
Since you weren;t there and don't know the particulars of the company, workers etc.. those kind of judgments are very speculative.. Too much unknown to make them accurately... you could be right of course, but who can say for sure? Now that I opened my big mouth I gotta watch it again... skipped around a bit.. mostly man cuts branch, branch falls to ground... good to know gravity is still in play!

Ahhh... You're right Daniel. Always a lot easier to criticize from the armchair. Maybe Ida done the same thing. Except for the pigsty thing. I hear Butch loud and clear about the brush mattress for chunks, but it didn't seem like he was doing that. Always wasted effort for the ground guys when you've got brush slammed on brush just because you want to sit up there and torch off limbs while they grunt like pigs trying to extract an armload.

Back