Tree felling vids

Mine sure ain't as exciting as Murph's, but I sure did enjoy it..... ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DayjfGjDrkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Murphy Nice!

I always hate being near a trunk when felling, they like to Jump back at you, glad you came out safe.... that was one bad tree to get down!

Watching it now, Randy. I sure don't do all that overhead rope throwing. I like to stay on my lanyard, but open it all the way up so I can three point climb.

Watching it now, Randy. I sure don't do all that overhead rope throwing. I like to stay on my lanyard, but open it all the way up so I can three point climb.

Butch,
how long is the lanyard you use? I'm gonna make one for myself, I've heard everything from 15 to 40 feet, what would you suggest? :?

Also, when you "open up your lanyard" do you have it cinched around a limb/trunk? :?

Well done gents: All of ya.... Sweet flix. :beer:

Yeah, Daniel, they'll often run us out there to take down some pig with only a two man crew, so, as you can imagine, you want to free up the ground-guy all you can; so I'll take natural wraps Beranek style, all the time to run my own ropes. Gives the round-guy a bit more draggin time instead of lowering on the porty.

Theres a time and a place for everything. On a job with only one or two pieces to be lowered, I have my guys take a wrap. I don't get out and set up a lowering device for one limb. That's just silly.

NH. I had my groundy watch your vid at lunch today. I've been trying to explain to him about speed lining. Your vid was perfect. He got to see it from my perspective. And he has a lot better understanding of it and of what I'm doing up there and why. Thanks.

Murphy. Yours was beyond what we are spooled up for yet.

NH. I had my groundy watch your vid at lunch today. I've been trying to explain to him about speed lining. Your vid was perfect. He got to see it from my perspective. And he has a lot better understanding of it and of what I'm doing up there and why. Thanks.

Murphy. Yours was beyond what we are spooled up for yet.

I only have "a little" experience using it compared to a lot of the guys here, I love it! I find it to be much safer in many situations and a huge time saver. :thumbup:

honey.... get the skid steer............

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DmlbIE3KcDY?list=UUseSwqsha7yQm1oZhJcPhsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Daniel:

1) Nice hinge! Very well cut, I must say.

2) Green with envy over your particular skid steer, for obvious reasons. Jealous even.

3) I disagree with your idea that the skid steer was essential for that--or any other-- side-leaning pig. Man, the thing is simply not fast enough. My idea, is that, unless you can get a 90 degree retainer line--with no obstructions--dogged off to a fixed object, then a pull-line will simply be no help, (o.k. I'll be fair) or very little help at all. I'm thinkin there's no way that your machine is fast enough to keep up with the forward velocity of the fall of that Beach. Or, were you pulling diagonally? If so,..... a bit too tricky for the average res.arb. don't cha think? Having said that, I was deeply impressed by your launching of the top of that White Pine, with your truck. I'd never try it in a thousand years myself, .... but I was really impressed by it.

I agree to some point Jed. But... One you hit over COG... speed is of not much consequence with the momentum you have already achieved. Hit skid steer is pretty quick until you hit too much weight off centre. Then it is more pulling power vs speed until you hit COG.

I am sure Burnam or Gerry or someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Jed, do you have some pulling devices, what do you use? It certainly would be a luxury to be cutting at locations where you can even consider using a skid steer.

Daniel:

Or, were you pulling diagonally? If so,..... a bit too tricky for the average res.arb. don't cha think?

Yes Pulling diagonally to compensate for the side and back lean.. nothing too scientific, but certainly not beyond the ability of a caring res arb... That pull line was pre-tensioned with 1.5-2x the usual, and that monster still sat back on the saw.... I pull diagonally all the time, with or without redirects as needed... Works VERY WELL... Also was using true blue for the pull line and had the machine well back, leaving a LOT of line in the system to store elastic energy. Between that and the diagonal pull, the megalith laid down perfect.. I really wasn't expecting to need that much pull... Beech is some heavy wood!! Next time, break out the bull line!

Daniel, how much pull do you figure that your machine is capable of, assuming solid ground? Something that is somewhat unclear to me is the advantages or lesser so of speed when pulling. I can see where a steady slow very controlled pull is desired in some cases to get the desired results from a hinge, one reason why I like the endless line cable puller, used successfully on some heavy leaners that you have to get pretty fine with. I can also see where speed can be an asset. Vids have shown that the skid steer can really yank things over. Obviously the amount of work involved changes with a hand puller compared to a motorized device.

Mostly the times I try for speed are when throwing tops (or trees)... other than that, I prefer to pre-tension by feel, then watch carefully see how the tree responds... that gives a lot of information about the type of cut needed... some times the pre-tensioned line is all that is needed.. other than that, after the back cut is made and signal given, the op just moves back at a normal speed. Almost never slow, unless we're trying to allow the hinge to fail to side weight.. Its rare to use speed on back or side leaners, but happens in extreme cases... mostly when the hinge wood has decay and can't be trusted..

Turf tracks will slip on ground, before breaking true blue... though on pavement the SS breaks true blue pretty quickly.. SS cannot break a bull line.. don't think too much about the numbers, just what is needed to get the job done.. I believe the dodge 2500 with cummins diesel, in 4x4 low, on pavement has more pull than the SS.. would like to get a dyno to checkout the numbers someday...

Why don't you get a Dyneema rope for pulling, Daniel.
I realize you won't be able to " store dynamic energy" in that, but then you won't have to worry about breaking it either, using a skid steer.

I try not to use my bull ropes for pulling, unless it is very light pulls, because it makes it somewhat trickier to keep track of where you are in the " Cycles to failure" thing.

Besides, Dyneema is pretty cheap.

Back