Tree felling vids

I'm with Jed, you had plenty of bar to reach, if you had a decent set of dogs on that saw you could have dogged in 2 or 3 times on the near side of the tree. Also it appears you cut the hinge off on the far side early on. The wedge in the back will lift easier than the ones on the far side, also with the little tapping you were doing they were not being used for anything other than keeping the tree from setting back. A bigger beater and harder swing will make good use of them! Alls well that lands well

What Willie said.
And.......
You climbed the tree to set a line. If I climb it to set a line, I am damn sure I will limb it to my favour of the fall I want. Just saying.
Put the spurs on and screw the SRT. Limb it out to make the weight favour the fall. It will take not much more time than what you did at the base of that tree.

Thanks Willie, I could use some bigger dogs on that saw, a falling ax is also something I should have with me. An experienced logger could put that tree on the ground in no time, no pull rope, no climbing.

Stephen, I still don't think that tree even need to be climbed. Having only one tree to cut that day, I figured give it a go. Probably most efficient to just set a line, base tie, and cut. But I know if I go up there with a chainsaw and start cutting I would be thinking to myself... 'I should be limbing this tree on the ground'.

One thing I'm into is taking trees down in as few as cuts possible and being as easy on the body as possible. SRT to set a line is easier on the body than spuring up that tree. Not taking back-weight or side-weight out of a tree may come up to bite me one day, could put me out of business real quick.... I'm so glad I didn't kill the guys dog! Did you see that ol' boy stroll through the drop zone!

If you limb, only what you need, you localise the ground clean up. If you're not cleaning the tree up... Set a line, 3 cuts pull over and get on with the day. Hiking a 200 T up a straight tree with spurs is not much more chore than SRT. And again, you can cut the limbs to your advantage for weight.

Randy, What I meant by a base tied anchor was you shoot your throline into a pine or other conifer. All you need is for the limb to go over a sizable branch, then you run it to the ground and tie it just above your notch. Pull on the other end. No need to isolate the line or cinch it at the top. Plus its easier to dig the rope out then.

If you limb, only what you need, you localise the ground clean up. If you're not cleaning the tree up... Set a line, 3 cuts pull over and get on with the day. Hiking a 200 T up a straight tree with spurs is not much more chore than SRT. And again, you can cut the limbs to your advantage for weight.

I do like localizing the ground clean up sometimes, but in this case only limbs over the deck would have helped reduce the chance of it falling on the house. So I only took one limb off and used the pull rope to my advantage and the rest landed in the field. I did barely clip the deck a bit though. No damage, all good. I charged him $700 to put the tree on the ground, no cleanup. He didn't expect us to go over and limb it, and buck into 6-8ft sections, but we did.

Willie, I didn't cut through the far side of the hinge, it does kinda look like it though. just maybe a tad through the bark. I like a tapered hinge on those side leaning Ponderosa's, I swear it helps.

Randy, What I meant by a base tied anchor was you shoot your throline into a pine or other conifer. All you need is for the limb to go over a sizable branch, then you run it to the ground and tie it just above your notch. Pull on the other end. No need to isolate the line or cinch it at the top. Plus its easier to dig the rope out then.

Oh, sorry Nick. I thought you were talking about climbing up to tie off the pull rope. :|:
Ayuh, base tied anchor, I've done that a few times works great. The problem this time
if I had done that, the rope would have come up short..... I needed every foot of rope I could get..... ::oops:

Bix: Thanks for the thoughtful response. BTW, (and full confession) I was working in a bit of a "false idiom" (a euphemism for lying) when I busted the great, "I was taught..." What I meant by "I was taught..." is that: "I read in Gerald F. Beranek's book that..." :lol:

Yes. I know. I'd love to be personally trained by a real live timber cutter too. (Well, Willie, I guess we'll have to call Max Adams a "real live timber-cutter" now won't we? :lol::lol:) But, until then, I'm afraid that we "res arbos" will have to make the most of every stump cutting experience we can possibly get, and push each other along as best we can. Too much collateral damage if we mess it up, ya know?

Yeah, we watched that one at another thread. i didn't mind seeing it again though, it is pretty exciting. The guy hiding by the corner of the house has the right idea. He is wearing a hardhat too. Maybe some inference can be drawn, trust the guy with the hardhat?

Thanks Willie, I could use some bigger dogs on that saw, a falling ax is also something I should have with me. An experienced logger could put that tree on the ground in no time, no pull rope, no climbing.

Stephen, I still don't think that tree even need to be climbed. Having only one tree to cut that day, I figured give it a go. Probably most efficient to just set a line, base tie, and cut. But I know if I go up there with a chainsaw and start cutting I would be thinking to myself... 'I should be limbing this tree on the ground'.

One thing I'm into is taking trees down in as few as cuts possible and being as easy on the body as possible. SRT to set a line is easier on the body than spuring up that tree. Not taking back-weight or side-weight out of a tree may come up to bite me one day, could put me out of business real quick.... I'm so glad I didn't kill the guys dog! Did you see that ol' boy stroll through the drop zone!
Brother from another mother :)

Yeah, we watched that one at another thread. i didn't mind seeing it again though, it is pretty exciting. The guy hiding by the corner of the house has the right idea. He is wearing a hardhat too. Maybe some inference can be drawn, trust the guy with the hardhat?

hahaha..I noticed the hardhat guy, too. He looked like the pro there to me. :lol:

I wanted to post this older vid of mine. It's interesting to hear some feedback from the house. I believe the first tree was bid at $900, the larger one at $1,700. Job took a day and a half with three man crew. Client was a well know musician in my area and I used one of his songs in the vid because he gave us a few of his CD's.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k1nbtP7In8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tucker, with all that end weight it seems to help relieve the tension so we don't get barber chair action.

MB :headbang:

I know, I know... I'm working on it Sean, kinda. Peace brother rastafari!

Thanks again Ian arbor brotharian.

YA MAN watch de tum rap... (especially starting those plunge cuts with a 24" bar... thing could easy rip right out of your hands and take a ricochet into your thigh... NO JOKE BRO!... bad habits die hard.. takes focus and intention... I AM working on the same thing right now.. object is to use it every time as a mater of habit so when you REALLY need it, you got it... )

Tucker, with all that end weight it seems to help relieve the tension so we don't get barber chair action.

MB :headbang:

I know, I know... I'm working on it Sean, kinda. Peace brother rastafari!

Thanks again Ian arbor brotharian.

Either go a bit smaller, or use a different cut (Coos Bay or triangle) or sharpen up that saw!

Obviously not coos bay on a hollow limb.

Back