Tree felling vids

GOL, right?

He wanted to be smarter and more efficient so that he'd have more energy for after work.

Sounds like it might be right, but I'm not familiar with GOL. Seems like it's a polarizing concept for North Americans(Swedish stump dance :^P ). I wonder if the disconnect is the type of wood logged? Not a lot of skinny conifer poles aside from the north. Most of the US is either broad hardwoods, or huge conifers :shrugs: I should look it up some time, and see what GOL's about.

GOL = Game of Logging.

The vid is old and FBs probably now do virtually all of kind of trees he was dealing with then.

The concept is sound. If you cut conifers for a living you learn everything Sorensen talked about in that video in your first season, without even thinking about really. The method is universal

As Sorensen showed, the chainsaw is designed for right-handed cutting, not left. If it were left handed the procedure would be reversed like a mirror. I hated limbing small conifers, tops, but if I had to do it I'd do it the same, if I could.

In the end it was more righties than lefties, and the chainsaw was designed right-handed But I can't help but think that some one, somewhere, maybe as a concept model, built a left handed chainsaw.

Maybe Angus would know.

I'm gonna play with it later this year. There's a dead yard spruce at work that nothing but little limbs. That'll be a good one to try it with. That's about the only time you'd run into that kind of tree around here.

I started my career working like that.
Spruce is cut here in a 40 year harvest cycle.
Limb them all day and every day and you really get smooth.

All done by mechanical harvesters today.

I learned that technique, never mstered it. On one of my trainings in North Wales there was a guy who was so good at it his saw was almost a blur he was so fast.
I use my slowpoke version on the occasional conifers I come across.
My main question is why the blank is he wearing WHITE work clothes :lol:

I learned that technique, never mstered it. On one of my trainings in North Wales there was a guy who was so good at it his saw was almost a blur he was so fast.
I use my slowpoke version on the occasional conifers I come across.
My main question is why the blank is he wearing WHITE work clothes :lol:
Keeps you cooler in the sun.

It did not really look too big until I saw the picture of him in the top...BIG wood there. Huge "thud" when pieces hit. What was he sending down the line at 24:00?

I think it was a pulley but I could be wrong.

Anyway, we send small saws down that way quite often, there's never a problem but the saws are traveling quite quickly at the end of the rope, we'll have to try the wiggle technique next time.

The wiggle helps, but for anything with some weight to it, I always had the crew position the line the gear was running down so there was a deep belly, good clearance from the ground, and decent rise to the tail end. That slows things down best.

I thought his rope guy was very marginal. Almost every butt-tied limb went up before down.

But big tree, good job of course.

Tying the rigging close to the cut prevents the butt from kicking up. Kind of rhymes.

You don't want to get hit by the butt.

But then rigging a limb a little farther out from the cut, and drawn up tension can steer a limb to a certain side of the layout all better than not. If you engineer it so. Granted sometimes we overthink things.

And, I'll agree, Cory, it didn't look all that necessary to do, as I viewed in the video, but that young man, despite rough edges, has real fortitude to pull a 6 day in a tree like that. Removing each spar required dropping down and working it up. Let alone all the pulling and setting of rigging and the cutting needs be done. That was a two climber job really.

I'm impressed. Good job. Learn more and always error on the side of caution.

Back