Tree felling vids

I'll be honest...I was a bit spooked knowing the top was crippled and I needed to get the H out of Dodge. Hindsight says I could have taken an extra few seconds to take the saw with me....maybe next time. Ladder? Last thing on my mind... :D

Looked like a safe place to hang the saw. While you could have grabbed the ladder, or even had it removed ahead of time, since you were on spikes anyhow, its always good policy to get your body to safety asap in any sketchy situation.

did you hear that sweet gum hinge moan so loud? That stringy wood hinges well .

This is an awesome video Gary:

Looking back I would have rather been on the spikes for that last cut. The ladder was actually slower to come down than just roping meself down.

Oh NO...you found me out! Thanks, Merle. That yoga video was part of a performance we did for the Ambassador of Myanmar a few years ago. My martial arts group is starting to show to the public more of the system that my instructor, Dr. Gyi, has shared with us since he emigrated to the USA in the late 50's. It's a martial arts system with aspects of Hurting, Healing and Harmonizing. The Bando Yoga works with the last 2 "H's"...develops the capacities to administer the 1st H if you need to.... :D

Last edited:
I'll be honest...I was a bit spooked knowing the top was crippled and I needed to get the H out of Dodge. Hindsight says I could have taken an extra few seconds to take the saw with me....maybe next time. Ladder? Last thing on my mind... :D

Fair enough. Valid reasons.

Gary: That was pretty impressive brother... I don't think I've ever done a PIECE of serious treework with that level of control. Rad video. :thumbup:

I did a workout with a bodybuilder friend on Sunday. He broke out the staff and OMG... I was so stiff and inflexible. It was a serious wake-up call in large part because I had just seen your vid Gary. That is HUGE that you can take care of your body like that. I need to do something here! Thanks for setting such a fine example. MUCH APPRECIATED

I was checking out Carl's Youtube channel. This is the first video I clicked on.

Very interesting cut in that it moved a good bit and then stopped until he tickled the back cut a little.

Any thoughts?

If I had to guess, I'd say a narrow face with a fat hinge. Didn't get enough momentum going to break off, and needed some encouragement.

I simply don't get the question?
If you are pulling a tree and stop pulling before it is committed enough to break the hinge, it will stop going over, at least in my part of the world.
Coriolis effect may be a bitt different since this is way further south, maybe that plays a part.

Carl is almost as imprecise with a saw as you are, but that is cool, because he is just showing stuff, not going: "Listen children, this is how the true master goes about it, now be quiet, wide eyed and learn from your betters".

Last edited:
I simply don't get the question?
If you are pulling a tree and stop pulling before it is committed enough to break the hinge, it will stop going over, at least in my part of the world.
Coriolis effect may be a bitt different since this is way further south, maybe that plays a part.

Carl is almost as imprecise with a saw as you are, but that is cool, because he is just showing stuff, not going: "Listen children, this is how the true master goes about it, now be quiet, wide eyed and learn from your betters".
My cuts are as precise as needed for the given situation. Your need to constantly put them down is questionable. Kind of like why did you feel the need to put Pat lacy down, when his skills far outshine yours?

I've made cuts that you never have. And I've shown more novel techniques and advanced skills on Youtube than you ever will.

Carl looked a little lax in attitude given it was so close to the roof but he got the job done and perhaps his nonchalant attitude reflects his comfort and skill level more than sloppy saw skills as you insinuate.

Getting back to the question, for as big as that tree was and as far as it moved, I think it is quite unusual to stall like that. Perhaps it was a back leaner and he had just used the stretch in the line to move it to get enough forward lean that he could have either cut the hinge a little more, or pulled a little more. It looks like he was working alone.

Or perhaps there was some aspect of the cut that caused the stall. That would likely be in the face, perhaps a slight bypass. unusual outcomes can offer great opportunities for learning. That is the only reason I put up the video!

I've made cuts that you never have. And I've shown more novel techniques and advanced skills on Youtube than you ever will.

Every time I poke at you, I get the same response: " I'm the greatest!!!!!!!"
Kinda like watching a rerun of a Cassius clay prefight interview :lol:

Who the hell is pat Lacy and what have I ever done to him?

Dance around and beat your chest a bit more, then accuse ME of having a personality disorder :lol:

This would be so much fun, if it wasn't like shooting fish in a barrel.

Who the hell is pat Lacy and what have I ever done to him?
He's a big wood logger, a good one it seems, from the very few we can see in one vid (a nice and quick cut of a monster tree). That's some years ago. The vid came in a discussion where the main line was " a pro logger makes his cuts perfect and first shot". As I recall you made a comment about him being not top because he had to touch up his notch. At the time I thought that was a bit exaggerated, that's why I recall it, but Murphy seems to take it way worse than me.

The fact that Stig criticized that cut shows that hes either a fraud or jealous.

There is no other reasonable explanation.

That shows his true colors.

And the fact that he won't make his YouTube channel public or repost any of his mediocre falling skills video.

Hes managed to talk a good game here and get in with the good old boys network but has little skill to show in reality. Hes a fraud.

Back