Tree felling vids

big bit of iron to cut around.
Short bars means less teeth to sharpen.
Just might be more metal in the trees here.
My big bar is 36" and there is maybe 6 times over 15
yrs it didn't tip the tip.
I want a double ended bar and run two 660's for hedging of course :lol:

I thought you were in Canada Thomas.
Canadians don't count.
They understand long bar science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I shouldn't even say "long" I should say, proper or some other snide implication.

Ha ha words of wisdom from the land of the long bar where every woodcutter dreams or even thinks he has the right to cut big timber.
Thrown in a half or full wrap and " boy do I look good".........until the right coast guy proves he can out cut and handle a saw better with a short bar and half wrap. And he doesn't even have to demonstrate the 6 point limbing technique:lol:

Yeah, Holmen, except we cut from both sides with our long bars over here LOL. Which are still short.
And yes, Butch full skip here.

August, while it is of course always fun to engage in a little flagellation of dead ponies, this has been discussed about a gazillion times before.

Consensus is that the working environments determine what bar length it is proper to run.

For the last week I've been felling mature beech seed trees. Those are the trees left to seed the new forest, when most of the old ones have been logged away. If done right, and there is a science and art to it, it works extremely well with beech.
That means the understory forest is dense, almost impossible to wiggle through and about 12 feet tall. Imagine a 12 feet tall grainfield of extremely springy, bendable straw and you've got it.
You fell the trees into this and crawl around and buck them out, being extremely aware of springpoles.
As my face will show, if you get close to me, even a 2" springpole can do a LOT of damage.

Just the thought of you trying to drag your west coast set-up through that mess, let alone cut with it, made my morning. Thanks:lol:

I'll head out and whack some tiny trees with my tiny bar, while bemoaning the fact that destiny didn't let me be born on the American West Coast, so I could be a real treefaller.

Hahahahaha hahahahaha,
Stig!!!! You have a way with words that is hilariously intellectual,"flagellation of dead ponies," etc, etc.
I've never been schooled and liked it so much. Luckily, I remain unconvinced LOL.

Don't forget, I'm still new to hobnobbing with other professionals. I've been in a time capsule but this is fun. Like an Amish kid's first night on the town.
To me, that pony was still alive and misbehavin'. It's actually a relief to hear that other people, off the Amish reservation already noticed the regional proclivity for cutting small trees from two sides LOL.

I'll head out and whack some tiny trees with my tiny bar, while bemoaning the fact that destiny didn't let me be born on the American West Coast, so I could be a real treefaller.

I love sarcasm. You stole my heart. I almost Peed myself laughing.

Great to see the hardheads in action here by the way.…

d420ed1ebc9cd543769263840790b95c.jpg

Ahhh, regardless. I concede to equine demise in light of the fact that this place is the secret VIP secret stash of collective arb knowledge.
An army of little bars can't be wrong.

Now the wedge pounder debate... Looks like a maul, not an ax, Stig.

Don't you DARE dis my maul, Sean!

This maul belonged to the renowned treefaller who taught me logging back in the 70es.
He inherited it from his dad, who also spent his life logging, and having only daughters, who for some weird reason, didn't become loggers, he passed it on to me, when he retired.
I have promised it to Richard, my partner, when I have felled my last tree.

This maul is close to 100 years old.

Imagine the amount of trees it has knocked over and the amount of firewood it has split!

Put a saw with a long bar in a skidder to go back in the woods to get started for the day. Then let me know how it went. Or attach it on the outside of the skidder in select cut work and let me know how it went.

Eastern hardwoods get bore cut. Standard back cut style doesn't work. Your butt logs will split and pull fiber. Bore cutting hardwood all day with a 28" bar simply doesn't work out. Eastern loggers don't pick bar size based strictly on tree diameter. Stowing the saw constantly during the day and picking the bar length most suitable for plunging into hard wood all day every day is a bigger factor then tree diameter. The west coast crowd is so confused by why the east coast crowd uses short bars but the best I can say is that you have to experience both sides of production cutting to understand it all.

Cut with a 20" bar yesterday. Only up that high to get away from fence wire down low.

Back