Tree felling vids

Here's my take on your other question, Cory. These were most decidedly NOT "bombed out areas", imo. These are lands managed specifically for industrial forestry. Your attitude is the sort of thing foresters in this country buck against every single day of their careers. Trees are a renewable resource, and if you want to grow trees EFFICIENTLY here in the PNW, you clearcut, you manage slash and brush regrowth aggressively, and you put board footage on the market over and over to meet our need for that resource.

I loved seeing a new stand of trees take, on a cut-over unit. I was and remain passionate about our responsibility to utilize our own lands to meet our needs for wood fiber rather than farm those appetites out to third world countries that haven't the wealth enough to balance wise natural resource management requirements against the need to feed their children. It was the farthest thing from depressing to work these sites. And even more so, the work of survival inspections, and stocking level plots. These are the follow-up work that foresters like me do to make sure the ground is satisfactorily reforested. Climbing up and down those same slopes one, three, and five years after sheparding a planting crew over those units was an extremely rewarding part of the work.

Great post.

Clearcut harvesting, in my eyes, is farming. Ive not had the chance to look it over out west. In Maine, Ive been in MANY clearcuts. At first, it is just that, clear cut. In short order, it becomes lush and full of wildlife. Then, pre commercial thinning, then, years down the road, harvested again. Like a long term farm. Crop is harvested, planted (or naturally regen'd), cared for while growing, and harvested again. Very little difference from raising corn, aside from the time frame. In Maine, its awesome to see. North Maine Woods is like one big farm for producing the wood products we need.

North central Florida is much the same Chris, they even farm out the pine straw. Mechanized planting however. One cool part is seeing the sign of the planting date and species.

I'd put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger. My back would be TOAST from doing that. Cheers to whoever can do that and not be crippled by it.

Chris, you haven't much worked with Mexicans? I don't know if it is the tortillas or exactly what, but in the vegetable fields of California they are like superman bending over all day. Generally pleasant blokes to work with too. I picked some crops one summer. The farm labor bus picked up so early I sometimes forgot my lunch. Dudes would always share theirs, though I might try to refuse. Never forgot that, and good beans! I noticed a tendency to beat up their old ladies though.

So what was the safe part at 4:10 with both hands on the rear handle of the saw over his head? You seem to have learned better than that.
Yeah Bud, that was old Don in that shot. That guy is crazy. Still around though, does work out of his bucket. Old-timers man, they're a dying breed.

Find a young girlfriend, go to another country and start over:D

Just for the record, she is 3 months younger than me.

This isn't a tree felling vid, but it is a tree vid. It is cable installation we did and it is a little dry. We installed six cables in two trees that day, but this only shows a portion of one tree. I made it for the home owner, who is 97 years old and was an engineer by trade. He really enjoys figuring out how things work. He had actually installed his own home made cabling system in the American Elm in this video about 30 years ago. He was intrigued and curious about the cable support system that we were installing, so I told him I would be happy to make a video for him to help better understand the work. We had two go pro's, but only one shot footage as the other had a poor battery. I really wanted to show more. I feel honored to have met this man, he is sharp and intelligent, and I feel like I could listen to his stories about life for hours on end. He told me that when he was a kid that he and his friends used to play auto polo. Polo with Model T's, instead of horses...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E_iFXTU8CVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nicely done Fred.
I love how the Wraptor has really taken a lot of the work load of the climb during cabling.
Especially for me where I am the only climber on my crew.

Superb video. I really like that you did this for the man. Very cool that he cares enough to have you take care of his tree..and that you cared enough to make such a fine video to explain your work. Your descriptions are very good. I will probably use that for an aid when I do my first cable job.

Thanks for sharing. And the music was a fine choice.

Thanks guys. I think he and his partner Lois are going to really enjoy it. Lois is his partner. I believe he was married for ~50 years before his original wife had passed. He has been with Lois for over 20 years, but they never were married. They are in Florida for the winter, so I am going to send them a dvd. They are such genuine people, and I feel lucky that I was able to meet them.

FFZ, both trees had structural defects, and both tree had canopies that extended over the house and/or street. Both trees are in good health and the owners are very pro tree and adamant that they stick around. The cable's job in this situation is to support the tree during a high wind event and lower the risk of a major leader breaking out. A steel static cable in this situation also helps take some of the load off of the union where the leader connects to the base of the tree. Think of it as an insurance policy, lowering the risk/odds of a major problem. Not all trees need this though, it will vary by species and structural issues. If the American Elm in this video did not have any structural issues I would have recommenced that it be left alone.

Awesome video Fred! I love making movies like this for the customer, I've done it a few times and they love it. They email it too all their family and friends, so basically free advertising for us!

Are you still using those 10mm bee line i2i cords I made you awhile back? It like familiar in the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome video Fred! I love making movies like this for the customer, I've done it a few times and they love it. They email it too all their family and friends, so basically free advertising for us!

Are you still using those 10mm bee line i2i cords I made you awhile back? It like familiar in the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good eye Adrian! Those are the ones you made, and I still have two unused cords. You did a great job on them.

Oldschool vid I filmed
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X5vPeuUDrgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back