Toba Inlet or: Am I being paid by the vertical foot? (lots of pics)

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 6K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sitka spruce is one of the strongest woods around by weight. The tops that tore a little off the back were leaning enough to pull the bit off the back. The tree at 1:57 was right next to another taller tree so all it's limbs were on the one side. Some I had a wedge in even though I was 99% confident they leaned the right direction. The tough thing when falling tops out of tall trees like these is that if the top sits back even a little, it pulls the whole tree into a lean back. So you're better off to be sure that you've got a wedge in to begin with. Most tops were in the 40-60' range.

I've never seen a video of anyone using a handsaw in a tree like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was mostly using the handsaw because I had the camera in my other hand. I would usually just use my 200.

You were just cutting the little strap of holding wood, right? I've done that before, especially if you know you're going for a little ride when the top goes over. It's not like you made the entire back cut with a handsaw.

Beautiful pics and sweet video.

Hey MB the first top in the video I did drop the wedge, I think that's maybe about the third time I have.

What's AMFO sothere?

I think he is confusing it with ANFO which is Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil which means mix the white pellets with diesel and an good cap, and BOOM! The stuff in the bag is just Ammonium Nitrate which is fertilizer.

Just an amazing thread. And ya got grizzlies too?? Wow!!!! What an amazing place to be doing treework in 2009!

You look super smooth as usual ,Gord.

Wow!
That was really something. Great trees, great work and FANTASTIC scenery!!!
It totally blew this flatlanders mind.
Thanks for posting those.

Great work and visuals, Gord!

The Coast Range is awesomely rugged. Not far north of that area lies Mt. Waddington, the highest peak in BC at over 13,000 feet. The vertical relief equals the Himalaya.

Hey I was wondering if there are any good sources of info on what justifies piecing down trees like that in forest situations. A friend of mine is looking into doing his senior research on selecting out mature trees in a low impact way to preserve as much understory as possible. Do any of you, have any info I could forward to him about it? It seems it's done on the west coast and in Canada more often, so I thought some of you west coast guys may have some better sources than over here.

Sorry for the derail.

Back