To be tied in is a plus when logging check out (false crotch pics)

jalegre0

TreeHouser
I am tied into the tree behind my left shoulder, also the tree over my right shoulder & also to the tree in front of me.( Use rope with low stretch like static ropes. )
IMG_0961.jpg I used 3 static lines and tied them to a large DMM Rigging Hub. dmm hub.jpg
The center is where I attached my climbing line, D.R.T.
Tension all at once by hand till in desired area you want your false crotch. IMG_2087.jpg
Then pull out 3:1 mechanical advantage preferably a 5:1 to finish tensioning ropes.
Make sure you run climbing line in hub before raising. This took me a minute to set up, it is only worth setting up if you are going to be in a spot for a minute and want the weight of your body and gear off spikes. Another reason I set this up was because I had to cut logs with a 044 stihl and was exausted from climbing all day. So we lower the lower logs in the same spot we lowered the brush, in a 5 by 5 foot space. Yard was full of ponds, landscapes, pavers, ornamentals and 100 other things you shouldn't try to cram in such a small space. IMG_2088.jpg

What I wanted to ascertain was, the lumps that are being lowered, are you lowering them from the big tree or "snatching them from the stump itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tensioned the three static lines in three different directions from the hub one rope went to Tree on left behind me second one the tree on right behind me and the third went to the tree that's right in front tention them all and ran my lowering line to the center at it. Putting tension on all three lines it made hub stationary roughly about 60 foot in the air. When all my wait on it it might of sagged I dont know Maybe 3-4 feet that was it . later ill set it up take clearer pic

Thanks, sometimes pictures don't show proximities very well.
Question: why not throw your climbing line over the branch above your head plus a pulley and lower all the sections down like that?
Is the remaining tree not as close as it looks?
Just a query, you clearly know your stuff:)
Edit just read the last post, so making a bit more sense.

Like u said pic no justice tree in front 50ft away
2 trees behind 100' there was nothing but sky over my head

I feel like a dog watching television.

I wore a ball cap my first 15 years doing treework.

2ylmmmo.jpg

Code:
Where's the logging?

I'm wondering that too....

I don't understand anything much else either....why so many tie-ins?
I guess I can see the reason for employing the rigging hub... but to me, its an expensive gadget. And an 044 is a mere mid sized saw. Nice to get some weight off your gaffs... but that's not possible when rigging/blocking down a spar if there's no aerial tie in nearby. Maybe the poster should get some better gaff shin pads, and better boots.....

So you just used a floating false crotch as a tie in point and were negative blocking the wood?

I've done a similar setup once. I used a petzl rigging plate with a pulley off it. 2 lines to two other trees. It worked well but took a bit of time to get setup. The oak I was removing was split from the base up to around 10'.

Took down this elm with two high lines... Tree crispy dead and hollow. Store owner wanted no impact or crane. High line with floating tie in for the climb line and high line floating block... pretension and swing pick into a parking area. Two separate lines from two separate points of rigging. on two different trees. Special kind of circumstances.

Attachments

• IMG_4925.jpg
    IMG_4925.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4926.jpg
    IMG_4926.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4927.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 54
No impact? Lordy, whutta nutjob client. And when they say "no crane," they are really saying "I don't want to pay for a crane."

I hope you charged him just as much as you would if you'd have used a crane.

Split the crane charge with him.
Shallow cast iron drains... asphalt falling apart if you piss on it. I think the septic was now illegal and under the parking lot or drive as well...
BTW.. I have to pay 2 hours on top of working and set up for a crane MB
I had the job done in like 3 hours or so. Including set up.

Thanks Adam.

No to mention HWY 140 just behind and down the hill from the trailer... Year round highway to Yosemite. One loose flying piece of wood could ruin your day with Cal Trans and insurance company :lol:

Only had one tie in, my climbing line through center of hub. The three ropes connected to 3 different places on the hub were for placement and support (false crotch). They ran horizontally 50-100ft in three different directions to 1 of three different trees I used then down to the base of tree. Tensioned 5:1 mec. adv. and secured. When full body weight was put into system it felt secure. System sag about 3-5ft
That day it was over 100 degree 3rd takedown, only climber on crew. I was exhausted at the time. Owning Hub for about 3months, never having a chance to check it out yet I was dying to use it for something. Since then I been using it as a rigging point with multiple connections, pretty much what it was designed for.Can't really see from pic I used a block to lower each log.
Since then got new boots and spikes, retired my 15 yr old spikes for geko carbon fiber, love um upgraded saddle what a difference.
Little background about myself on the way I remove trees and climb these last few years. I am always trying out new methods that I have seen someone else do or thought would work myself or a combo of both. Researching rigging techniques and loading. So if job is running smooth and ahead of schedule I will take the time to test out new rigs or climbing methods. Test them in less critical situations to see how it works. Practice,improvise, and when perfected be able to set up without a second thought.
I get bored. Need to spice up my job a bit.
Most of the year I work mainly for this large senior development Crestwood Village 1-7 in N.J.
This area, the trees there are not that difficult, medium size, and are abundant in trees and species on all the property so its the ideal place to set up multiple rigging points, reduces risk of damage if anything should fail.
Thats why I joined this forum looking for feedback about my rigs Are they practical? or dangerous? or can be improved by changing or adding this? Or pretty cool how did you do that?
Looking forward to checkin out master blaster's more

Last edited:
Back