Tip for Rope guys OMG!!! watch this

wow just when you think you have seen everything along comes another prize winner.
I cut my lowering rope two years ago to free a groundperson from the portawrap when he decided to wrap the rope around his hand.
He managed to roll the rope off so it half hitched against it's self onto his thumb and had pinched him tight at the infeed point of the portawrap,
unable to lift the piece back up the only option I could see left to me at that point was hit my new rigging rope with the saw and be dammed with the fence etc underneath.
no lasting damage to his hand and the wood missed the fence with no damage so a win/win.
we now regularly remind him to keep his hand out of the rope.

Do you need to remind?

I have kinco insulated leather gloves for roping. An Atlas gripper glove/ kinco is sometimes used. I only really run ropes with gripper gloves, 'cause I'm self lowering while climbing, so I can't vouch for the combo system personally. I don't know if anybody has been burned through regular leather gloves. Probably/ possibly the insulated are unneeded, but we have them for really cold days, anyways, the whole week of it.

Lucky the climber didn't get crossed up in the line. Yet near the end something kicked him out of his spurs, but it was long after the jolt.
The climber was holding himself on the big stub. It seems that the stub's end (behind the climber) catch the pull line and acted as a pulley, until the log and the groundy almost met together at the vertical of this point. That was the max load and the stub broke, sending the climber up side down.

I can't understand how the groundy went through this mess with only a broken arm. Lucky lucky.

I just watched the video. That has happened to me twice when I was younger and works as a groundie. I don't believe it was as severe in my case, but not by a whole lot. One I recall was lowering the top over on a lightning struck tulip poplar. Climber was scared as heck and told me don't take too many wraps and shock the tree. I didn't take enough wrap and soared like an eagle across the yard into the base of the tree. Banged me up and left my arms and shoulders sore for a few days.

Back