Timber Framing

So *that's* what you call it! I'll have to change the marketing on my cants...

<.<
>.>

Very cool Dave. Question for you, are the sills laying directly on the crushed aggregate and if so do you feel like they will last a bit before rotting? My climate conditions are brutal on untreated wood which is why I ask.

Black locust. It'll last two years longer than the stone is sitting on.

My wood boiler is sitting on two white pine 8x8s in the dirt with sawdust and bark pulled against them since 2014. I am surprised they've lasted this long, but they aren't ready to be replaced yet either.

Black locust is some bodacious wood. We've got some fence at my father's house that a buddy and I put in 45 years ago. Some of it is rotten but some of it is still very viable. And it is simply in the dirt with rocks thrown in to stabilize it and packed back in with Georgia water-holding red clay.

Job security. Actually, it was out of necessity. No money for a more substantial foundation, and ledge just a foot down. I expect it to outlast pt easily. It's really not much different than being on a dry laid foundation. If they pile it full of horse manure, it doesn't matter how high off the ground it is.

So the sheathing/ siding is 1/2" full cover, then 1" nailed right on top? Do you take care to offset boards so gaps don't line up?

Yes, we're offsetting. We were going to ship lap, but didn't work out a system, so just went with the no fuss two layer system. It's got some advantages. If you have boards that might lose a knot over time, you won't have a big hole in the siding. There's no machining necessary. You can use random widths.

Back