Fine Second Growth Timber

Trees that amazing just command our respect. Thanks for the pics Jerry.

Fishhuntcutwood, that's a tall slender patch of whips you're in there.

Trees like that sway in the slightest breeze, set back and barberchair, and tangle through others and get in the most wicked binds, you name it. They can be some of the most dangerous stems to work.

Oh heck yeah. They worked me that day. A bit of a breeze, but nothing that was dangerous. And they were actually all about 24"-28" at the stump and made for nice, clean loads. It's been a couple of years, but I think that was a 460 with a 32" for reference of stump size.

Here's a shot of one, and if I remember correctly, even with it's lean it sat back on the wedges in a gust and I had to wait for it come back over itself and fall.

Attachments

• dougfir.jpg
    dougfir.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 26
Jerry,

Those trees look too big to be made of wood...it makes more sense for them to be rock...I just can't imagine that much wood in one place...for one organism to be that large...it makes whales seem small. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff how'd you get that gig? Looks like Shovel ground.

Buddies with a gypo. It was a small 10 acre piece that has a house and an ocean view on it now. I worked for the experience and admittedly, the fun of it, and he got free labor out of it! I worked for a couple of summers with him like that. Had a blast.

And he's litterally a one-man operation, so he only works shovel ground. He doesn't have a high line.

Back