Timber Framing

I'm working on a 1/16th scale model of my current Dutch barn project. I'm not allowed to get as detailed as I'd like due to time constraints, but I think it's coming out ok. I've got everything up to the sills done, and I've got most of the stuff done for the main frame. I hope to have it done Monday or Tuesday. This is the barn I cut all those 47' timbers for. Anything that runs the full length of width of the model is 45'-3" full scale.

DSC_1172.jpg

DSC_1171.jpg

It is a sales tool. It is much easier to get a feel for what the barn is really like from a three dimensional model than a set of blueprints. And it's a lot of fun.

Dave, Have you thought about using steel I beams instead? you could built the barn without all those irritating posts in the way.

UPVFV.gif

This has been a really fun project. Accuracy is paramount, as a 1/32" error is really 1/2", to scale.

Yes, Al, I used a table saw, and a jointer, and a thickness planer. I've got the machines set up well, and that really helps. I made a jig for the tapered rafters. I'll log in with the phone and get that pic up. I have a few furniture concepts that I think I will make in scale, although maybe not 1:16.:lol:

This is the jig I made for the rafters. The rafters taper from 7/16 square to 5/16 square. I start with a half inch square stick and run it through once then rotate it ninety and run it through again. Everything else is just straight stock ranging from 1/4 x 3/8 to 5/8 x 1.

2011-10-12_10-19-37_842.jpg

I made a quick walk through video today.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6mcIrlYBua8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back