Throwline reel

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I was walking past my work bench the other day and saw this chalk line sitting there that my dad gave me. I already had one so this was just a spare that I was never going to use so I thought I would put it to use at work. It has about 80ft of Zing-It or Fling-It. I always carry a little throw ball with me anyway so this set up really wont add much weight to my saddle. I plan on keeping it in my pouch that hangs on the back of my saddle until I need to use it. It doesnt auto-rewind like those fancy fly fishing reels but hey, it was free!

Throwline reel 1.jpg Throwline reel 2.jpg

Nice idea, but it rewinds really slowly if it is anything like the ones we have here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have not used it yet in a tree but it is slow. It beats stuffing throwline into a little chalk bag or other stuff sack.

For sure.
That is what we were doing when we first ventured into the Redwwods and sequoias 4 years ago.
Really hard to work out the tangles when you are an old guy, who needs glasses to read, but still prefer to climb without.

So when Jerry B. showed us his fishing reel set-up, it was like a revelation.
We immediately bought reels, and Anders have been trolling garage sales and fleet markets ever since, picking them up, turning them into throwing line reels and selling them to local climbers, who have never even heard of the concept.

Since he has also mastered Jerry's Boomerang shot to the extent that he can do it consistently out to 45-50 feet, he can do a pretty convincing sales pitch.

Yet another enterprising way to finance ones studies:D

i bought a chalk-line reel a while back to do like you have, but i never got around to it and started using it as a chalk line:|:.

Get Jerry's working climber series.

He does a very fine demo of it.
That was inspired Anders to spend a whole summer practicing it in the evenings ( He is such a nerd, when he gets obsessed with stuff:))

emr, I've heard that the chalk reel thing just doesn't work since the spindle is so tiny, you're only getting like 1/2" of line per turn at first. I think you might be able to stuff into a sack faster than you can wind that reel.

Get an auto-wind fishing reel! They rock!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xn6ATuhPArw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty neat idea to go with the fly reel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kuCF7ENOG1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back