Things that go bump in the night!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No feelings in the 3 first fingers.
But I can run a saw :D

Last edited:
Stig have you been doing anything in the way of mind muscle exercises? My dad fell off a roof last year and busted him up pretty good. They recommended anything that is technical for your fingers. Like playing guitar, piano any type of puzzles. Just something to work your hands even if you're no good at it. I took him a spare Rubiks cube and had him just turn it and mess with it and not even try to solve it. I've been slowly teaching him guitar for a few months. He also bought a Bob Ross painting course and started trying to paint. He's probably never going to master any of those hobbies but he's having fun messing with them and getting a little dexterity back in the process. He can run a saw again but can't hardly salt and pepper his food sometimes. Seems to be the fine motor skills that are lacking. All the best in your recovery.

Update.
The 3 fingers are still dead.
I can run saws, but anything like engine repair or other stuff that demands manual dexterity is really hard.
I keep dropping stuff.
This morning I woke up before the alarm clock went off, so I figured, I'd turn it off so it didn't wake the mail order bride.
Grabbed it with the dead hand, lost it on the floor, pieces of alarm clock and batteries going every which way.
Margot woke up with a "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!".

So that didn't work so well.

Thursday I'm going under the knife.
May not work, but the hand surgeon, who BTW seems extremely accomplished, said that she wanted to go in and have a look at the nerve.
See if it is lying dead on it's side, with it's tounge sticking out or if there is something to work with.

Meanwhile it seems like my leukemia is starting to raise it's ugly head again.
I went in for my bi-annual blood test last week.
The doc called me and said that the numbers are slowly rising, like we know they will, and asked me how I'm feeling.
I've been dead tired lately, really dragging my ass and have a serious case of TGIF at the end of the working week.
Once the saw is running, I log at my usual pace, but I really pay a high price for it now.
I'm feeling that the end of my logging life is near.

That had him worried, so he put me in for a scan, to see how my internal lymph nodes, liver and pancreas look.

Second scan in a week ( First one was the hand), am I happy to live in a place where we have socialized medicine..........................................Can I have a BIG yes!!!!

So now I'm simply waiting for the outcome of the operation and the scan.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
I'm sorry stig, hope they can do what you need them to, and your cancer can be controlled. Waiting is the worst imo.

Kyle, when all this shit started, I was asked if I wanted to join a large international study of the kind of leukemia, I have ( The kind that a certain moron believes comes from being vaccinated against measles, or some such shit:lol:).
Basically, " Sir, would you like to be a guinea pig, please".

That turned out to be the best thing I could have done.
Being part of the study, They give me all the research that comes out of it.
A humunguous stack of paper,most in English, some in Deutsch and even a bit in Danish. I read it ALL.
So I know that after the traditional chemo treatment failed, they have at least 4 more newer treatments to work with.
Some of those are really spacy: instead of doing a burned land tactic as is the case with most chemo ( Kill everything and let God sort them out and hope some of the good guys survive) this one marks the cancer cells,so my own immune system can see them and pick them off.
Imagine those little fuckers swimming around, thinking themselves invisible, while in fact they have a blinking red light on top and there is a A 10 Warthog on the way, fully ,loaded.

'Man, just that image cheers me up no end.

If they ask you to turn guinea pig, think about it.
Someone have to or medical science won't move forward, and in my case, it has been well worth it.

Last edited:
Immunotherapy has really advanced a lot recently. It's a very promising part of the oncology field.
Always ask if there are studies related to your specific type of cancer, and ask the oncologist who they know who is doing immunotherapy work in your area.
Gets the docs talking to one another...

Here's your big YES for socialized medicine!
Three drs visits, ER, x-rays and cat scan, blood tests for my Mr....bill $0...I'll even add an AMEN.
Really, really hope you get some positive out of the scans and surgery Stig

Yeah i haven't been asked to join any studies yet, and of course i would if asked. They did explain they have many other treatments if this turns out refractory/ relapses, and the odds they gave me take those into account as well. They have me on the da epoch r chemo for now, which is the standard high risk cancer one, and has remarkable results, usually over 80 percent response or something. I feel good about everything, and i would be in better shape if it would have been caught before it started messing with my kidneys and i wasn't the odd 1 percent that develop an autoimmune response to it lol. I keep telling the wife to start buying lottery tickets so we can have the one in a million crap happen there instead :lol:

Yep, that autoimmune lottery is a bad one to win for sure.

I was at the hospital today for the results of the latests blood tests and lymph node scan.
Turns out the reason I'm tired all the time is not the Leukemia awakening, but simply because I'm an old man doing a young man's job.

Made me feel ever so much better.

The leukemia is slowly getting worse, but key word is slowly, so Chemo is about a year ahead for me, hopefully.

Back