832.4 KB · Views: 36
  • camera feb 18 09 114.JPG
    camera feb 18 09 114.JPG
    833.9 KB · Views: 39
  • camera feb 18 09 115.JPG
    camera feb 18 09 115.JPG
    809.8 KB · Views: 38
My new FS work truck

I'm sad to see the old one go...it was a beast and a half, but it never let me down and I asked a lot of it at times. But the fleet replacement cycle rules can only be pushed back so much, I kept it longer than they wanted me to by a year and a half.

It was a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4, extended cab, pushed by the 8 liter V-10 gasser. Oversized rail top tool boxes and a Warn 12M winch made for a pretty effective package.

The new truck has been dubbed "poxy little truck" by my friend Pete McTree, after he had to listen to me whine about it's imminent arrival during the WCGTG :D.

It's a 2009 Chevy 1500 4x4, extended cab, small block V-8. I've been truck down-sized in an attempt to improve fleet mpg figures :(.

Anyhoo, I swapped over the same tool boxes and winch, in a new Warn mount. It's a ok rig...but strikes me as low slung. Has enough umph to get itself around, but I won't expect to tow much more than a pair of snowmobiles or ATVs.

Here's pics of the new and the old.

Attachments

• Chev silverado 001.jpg
    Chev silverado 001.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Chev silverado 003.jpg
    Chev silverado 003.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Dscn1537.jpg
    Dscn1537.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 39
Here's my latest old girl !

Can't make my mind up whether to re-build it or run it for a year and scrap it for parts. The bulkhead / firewall is shot to pieces in typical Land Rover fashion :lol:

Attachments

• IPod to end of august 012.jpg
    IPod to end of august 012.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 47
It cost all of us who pay fed. taxes a tiny fraction of a penny or two :D.

And I thank you all :).

Willie, I'll let you know when I'm done with it, and you can apply :D.

Burn, you don't even need a plow for that one....it'll push snow with it's bumper!

Amazing how low they make trucks now for safety.

Nothing like new car smell though! (never experienced it myself sadly)

It has the 5.3 liter. Does anyone know what that translates into for c.i.d.?

When it was virgin, so far as loading it up with the boxes, tools, saws, winch, rigging hardware, signs and stands, and my personal gear, etc., it ran like a scalded dog. I expect that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 lbs. that it's hauling around every day. Now it certainly give satisfactory performance, but it's easy to tell it's carrying a load. Didn't matter what I put in, on, or behind that Dodge...same deep torque every day.

I was getting 11-12 mpg from the Dodge V-10...looking like 17-20 with the Chev.

They don't publish the displacement in cubic inches any more, but I think it's around 330. My 5.4 Ford motor is about 340 I think.

5.3 l is 323.3 c.i.

I never did like half-tons.:( You did good with that V-10. We had one at my first job, it got about half that. When it ran, it was a good truck, but it had a lot of engine and trans problems. The twin to it was a Cummins, and it only had to have a clutch and a muffler in the same time span, and it wouldn't have had to have the clutch with better drivers.

Yes, 1l is 61 c.i. That engine is probably a dod engine as well. Displacement on demand. That's why they get such good mileage.

Thanks for the info on displacement, guys. That's about what I expected.

Burn, you don't even need a plow for that one....it'll push snow with it's bumper!

Amazing how low they make trucks now for safety.

Nothing like new car smell though! (never experienced it myself sadly)

And I already took off the plastic air dam that drops the apparent clearance up front another 4 inches! That thing wouldn't have lasted long in the woods.

Safety, huh? I thought they made them low so the soccer moms and cadillac cowboys didn't have to climb up to get in. :D

Dad's got a truck now:
DSC05904.jpg

Back