The Truck Thread

Hmmm...still thinking about it. It's got 109,000 miles on it. Previously a forest service truck and then owned by the landscaper, who it is claimed, took good care of it. I'll call my Ford mechanic on Monday and see what he thinks. He's pretty sharp about these things.

Oh, it also comes with towing accessories...

That's a cool truck treecycle. Did you chop the frame? The wheelbase looks even too short to once have a factory short bed on it.

I'm interested in how you mounted your winch on that chipper, it's got me thinking...

You guessed it. I shortened the frame to make the turning radius tighter. That meant that the dual tanks got eliminated but in their place the Headache rack holds 40 gallons. Side boxes are just long enough for a 66o with a 36 . The truck started as Ford 97 crew cab longbed Crummy

The winch mount is real simple both for the truck and chipper. On the chipper its a warn 9500 and the fairlead fits just above the infeed. On the Truck its a reciever mount front and back going to dual batteries. I will say if on your chipper winch you are planning on doing some tugging, switch out your battery to a deep cycle. I did not and mine blew out instead.

I ditched my 95 F250 4x4 slightly more than a year ago after it started blowing up plugs in the #8 piston, it had about 195,000kms on it, buh bye and good riddance to the beast. :)
my '04 truck is WAY more comfy. and has better pickup, power and mileage to boot.

A 95 3/4 ton Ford has a crap front suspension in it imo, I would steer clear. Expensive front end repairs could be just around the corner.

Thanks Sotc. I put that up a while ago and being my first try I would definitely take out some of the fluff and add a more defined direction/ identity next time.

Less fluff + More function= Always better

Yes. The earlier F250s had an "agricultural" front axle, as a friend of mine used to say. Solid axle is much better.

When did the F250s go to a solid axle?

Sorry to pester with the questions, but used F250s are a lot more common than F350s around here.

The F250 has Fords I beam front suspension, kind of an independant wheel suspension but not really.

The F350 has the Dana 60 straight front end.

d44ttb1.jpg

0905dp_02_z+1997_ford_f250+dana_60_front_axle.jpg

I'm not sure what exact year they stopped using the twin tractor beam on their 3/4 tons(can't remember off the top of my head). But look closely at Brendons pic and note the differences. The top pic is bad news imo, the bottom pic is what you want. A solid axle straight across.

Twin tractor beam was a joke.:P

I thought 'twin I beam' was what they were called no matter rwd or 4wd.

Back