The Truck Thread

Another neat truck. This is a 1949 Willys Jeep that belongs to my 83 year old neighbor John. He bought it a couple years ago and patched it up a little. He has a blast riding around and driving it in parades, etc.
Restoring old Jeeps was my fathers favorite past time.He did at least a dozen or more total frame off restorations ,maybe many more non frame offs. His last one is setting in the barn as I type ,done when he was over 70 years old.

He sold one to a man from Houston Texas who drove that danged thing all the way there,took him about 4 days.Wound tight those things are hard pressed to go much over 45 MPH. On the other hand the gearing is so low that if they could get traction they could climb a tree.:)

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. Fact is, if I wasn't investing in this truck then I wouldn't have much else to spend my money on. I love what I do but my life is rather narrow focused and when I'm not working then I'm thinking about working. Without the new truck I wouldn't have much incentive to go work.

Good-bye old friend...

I put the ol' 1979 GMC 3/4 ton I have had since 1993 out to pasture...

The Blue Mule.

The best truck I ever owned. Never left me stranded anywhere. I only got 'er stuck once when I rolled 'er over on the passenger side on a loggin' road.

She'll be missed, I just don't have the time or room for 'er anymore. Got offered a deal i couldn't refuse for it. A kid and his dad down the road have been pestering me for dang near a year to buy the truck...

Yesterday mornin' the showed up with cash money...I took it.

I have my little Muscle Truck in the garage. That should be done soon.

Anyways... here is the Mule last year up in the Cascade Mountains during deer season.

Gary

Attachments

• Blue Mule.jpg
    Blue Mule.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 44
Those trucks are some of the best made work truck IMO. Super simple to work on, chugged right along, and rugged. The kid will enjoy it, I know I loved mine. (77', 78', 79')

I had a 78 chevy but it wasn't a HD one like yours Gary. I used to pull a trailer with a D-6 caterpillar on it. About 20,000 lbs total. I put about 350,000 miles on it then gave it to my cousin. I even wore out the rubber cab mounts, cracked the frame, fixed all sorts of stuff on it. I shoulda got one like yours. Gas mileage of about 12 mpg, it had the california smog stuff on it.

The Mule had 295,000 original miles on it before i rebuilt the small block (350) engine, put new synchros and stuff in the tranny, and freshened up the transfer case. She ran like a top.

Yeah... that kid was 17 years old... and was grinnin' from ear to ear. :)

Gary

Good for you, Gary. I remember certain individuals who were instrumental in introducing me to new phases of my life when I was about that age. People giving me tremendous deals on amazing stuff for no particular reason that I could fathom. Now I realize that they were simply passing it along. And the best part is when I get the opportunity to 'pass it along' to some bright eyed young kid.

Congrats Gary, I'm sure he will learn to love that truck as much as you have.
8)

MB didja ever get that boombastic sound system hooked up in the truck? I have a very similiar truck now and am considering swapping out the CRAPPY ac delco getup. Thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't done anything yet. I would suggest you have a pro install everything, and shoot for the smallest subwoofer possible.

I would suggest you have a pro install everything

I hear you, my days of gutting an interior and shoving the stuff in myself are over. I did a number of installs in my late teens and early 20's, no thanks, the install price is pretty reasonable for me, would rather drop it off and pick it up all done and shiny ;)

:headbang::whipitgood::glasses2: meh, its only paper...

I actually thought it would be a lot more, the regular price they list was what I was thinking, the sale price really aint that bad, that and free shipping!

and dont forget Ebay

Been awhile since someone posted a truck up in here... :)

Well... It's not the brand new Chevy or GMC 1/2 ton that I wanted... but it's a very nice and clean 1994 GMC 1500 extended cab.

5.7L (350) with TBI. I got a good deal on it... I was just too upside down on the loan on my car I was going to trade in... So I kept the car... rat holed some money... and paid cash for this pretty neat truck... :) Just bought it today after work...

Gary

Attachments

• 1994 GMC 001.jpg
    1994 GMC 001.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 37
Back