The toughest trees to remove

Really nice work Jon. I know those trees well. You handle them way better than I ever did.

Albizias when you have to rig them out over houses or structures. I've been out on a 150ft long limb flatlining my tie in and been flipped upside down out of the spikes when trying to rope the remainder of the branch down, not fun.

Better when you can free drop them!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a3K8y-H3Q_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jp:D

loving your vids bro , i showed a few of the lads this one and they couldn't believe the size of albizas. what species btw ??

Just saw these posts. Leon's got it, they are beasts and not pleasant to work with, there's just an uneasy feeling with the wood I'm sure Leon remembers well!

MB I was tied into a different tree to the side so my rope was crossed under that branch.

jp:D

I can only think of Poplar as being the toughest or mb Weeping willow
Wood is most unpredictable, touch it and it snaps.
Pruning/crown redn on the other hand spurless and Bur Oak can be tricky
cause its so sprouty and dirty with bits to get in your way.
Always said Gleditsia is toughest for anything and refer to it as the tree of 1000monkeys
every piece you cut has to be wrestled to the ground plus the bark and thorn will cut you.

My saw instructor said he always wondered why more sawyers are not found dead under cottonwoods. My area is full of huge cottonwoods, some dead ones, some live ones, most of them are hollow on the inside.

But for me personally, it would be trees that are currently or have recently been on fire.

Jim, there is a fellow in this group that does cutting in areas hit by fire, including trees still burning. He has some interesting vids posted of when doing that. I don't recall his screen name, so maybe someone else does. Perhaps you have seen his posts already?

My brother lives in Kansas, and he tells me that he's never seen anything so hard to remove as Osage Orange.

This stuff is HEAVY.....about 4000 pounds per cord. Even small chunks are very heavy and difficult to move by hand. Even worse is the menacing thorns that easily slash tires, clothing, skin, and will even penetrate a good pair of work boots.

http://catherinesherman.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/dsc_0024-1.jpg

Cottonwood is bad too. It can grow to become a huge tree, requiring long bars, heavy saws... and many, many man-hours for removal. One large Cottonwood removal can require several trips with even the largest trailers. Worse yet, the wood is all but worthless for anything. It makes horrible firewood......though it will burn. All but a small amount of it is far too large for a chipper. In general, Cottonwood is the worst I've tackled.

If anyone out there knows of some useful purpose for Cottonwood, I'm all ears. I've been given 4 rows of it, three miles long........tens of thousands of cords I suppose. I really have no desire to even begin the project, UNLESS there's some good use for the wood.

Joel

In my part of the world I'd turn it into chips, sell them to a powerplant and make good money.

I have 49 biggish ones to remove around a school. I'l have a forwarder pile them up, bring in a truck mounted chipper and figure to make about 2 grand once the forwarder and chipper is paid.Biomass pays well here.

The timber is good. It's going for veneering and furniture making now. I do exactly the same as Stig with all the none timber grade - get in the big chippers and send it for biomass.

If anyone out there knows of some useful purpose for Cottonwood, I'm all ears. I've been given 4 rows of it, three miles long........tens of thousands of cords I suppose. I really have no desire to even begin the project, UNLESS there's some good use for the wood.
Matches, cheese's boxes, crate for veggies or fruits ...
for the most value of it, I guess, nice and straight wood.
pallet, box, paper, biomass for the decreasing values.

Some logs with intricate fibers can be used as trailer's flooring, they are difficult to be milled but the planks sustain very hard use ( better than oak), like impacts with stones and boulders. Info from a miller.

Back