The Official Work Pictures Thread

The Maka

I highly doubt the Makalu is rebuildable, but I will say that I have been thrashing my Makalus for 5 yrs and they are doing great. Hoffman is my go to family run American built builder, and as far as I know all their boots are rebuildable. Hoffman is a class act all the way and I think their classic line is probably the best value in a spur boot. Just a beautifully build and super comfy boot.

6" Hoffman Classic Plain Toe - https://hoffmanboots.com/6-hoffman-classic

I'll have to disagree about you, I've been beating the hell out of a pair of custom made Wesco lineman's since forever and the way I'm friggin' myself up, they'll last my time and more.

For logging, I've had to switch to Hoffman since Wesco doesn't do the Timber boot with steel toe anymore.

I've basically lived in those for the last 12 years or so.

T'was a major piss off when they wouldn't build me a new pair.

For one reason; I have weird feet, so being able to have my boots custom made was well worth the price.

I was going to swing through Kellogg ID this summer and have a talk with Hoffman about paying them to do that.
Not going to happen, now.

Hoffman has one REALLY great thing going.
They resole European boots with caulk soles.
That means a company like mine can have a boot that is up to all EU certifications with CAULKS!!!!
I'll say to those of our European members, who log: " Find a Haix or Meindl boot that you like; then order it from Hoffman with caulks"

Trust me, stupidity and stick in the mud tradition is the only reason we don't wear caulks in Europe.

Try it out and thank me later, when you've danced along a wet, slippery beech log in your new boots.

I’ve got a pair of caulk boots that I’ve put on once after falling on a big Doug-fir barkless flare while getting set up for a felling cut. practically like velcro.

I'll have to disagree about you, I've been beating the hell out of a pair of custom made Wesco lineman's since forever and the way I'm friggin' myself up, they'll last my time and more.

For logging, I've had to switch to Hoffman since Wesco doesn't do the Timber boot with steel toe anymore.

I've basically lived in those for the last 12 years or so.

T'was a major piss off when they wouldn't build me a new pair.

For one reason; I have weird feet, so being able to have my boots custom made was well worth the price.

I was going to swing through Kellogg ID this summer and have a talk with Hoffman about paying them to do that.
Not going to happen, now.

Hoffman has one REALLY great thing going.
They resole European boots with caulk soles.
That means a company like mine can have a boot that is up to all EU certifications with CAULKS!!!!
I'll say to those of our European members, who log: " Find a Haix or Meindl boot that you like; then order it from Hoffman with caulks"

Trust me, stupidity and stick in the mud tradition is the only reason we don't wear caulks in Europe.

Try it out and thank me later, when you've danced along a wet, slippery beech log in your new boots.
I apologize but I am not sure what your disagreeing with stig? Makalu's not being re-buildable? My love of Hoffmans (I have their 16" pole climber, the modified Meindl linesman, and their Classic linesman)...Hoffmans being rebuildable? The fact that dont care for the old school linesman boots any longer? I also do not wear caulks any longer as I am no longer a real logger, and can get by without them.

Hope your on the mends and feeling a little better everyday..

Last edited:
Reactions: DMc
Is that poodle cut a common thing to do with conifers? I don't think I like it, but maybe it looks more normal in person?

Take a stuff out of the middle so it has puffs above and below.

1-lion-cut-265-0-600.jpg

Well its either that or top them, which is frowned on/ maybe a little bit illegal in the shore land zone.

From the zoomed out picture, you really can't see it from the house

Looks like they're getting elevated for the view to me.

Worked on a view myself today. Bunch of topping. Not my favorite but vista work is bread and butter around these parts. I gave up on the arborist side of it long ago. As long as the homeowner understands it aint right for the trees I can make my peace with it. Lots of habitat spars on this one. :evil:

KIMG0528.JPG

I do a lot of vista pruning on Reds and I always try and talk the HO's into simply taking every 5th-6th or 7th branch out (depending on structure of tree) to create a see through vista, rather than topping or a heavy over skirting which creates a vista under the top....Most a very happy with the results when we are done...

Poodle cut :lol:.

In truth, shade intolerant conifers in closed natural stands would have long ago shed those lower limbs to natural exclusion of enough sunlight to keep them productive, photosynthesis-wise. The trees are well adapted to 30% crowns.

I had a job late last fall where the HO's wanted me to skirt the living bejeezus out of 7-8 big beautiful Reds so that they could get a peek-a-boo view of the Pacific. I did my best to talk them into doing the right thing and not destroy these trees, but they were having none of it... Screw the trees, we want what we want...Imagine the look on their entitled yuppy faces when I told them I wasn't interested, and that they could shove their $ up their derrière's...Priceless!

I apologize but I am not sure what your disagreeing with stig? Makalu's not being re-buildable? My love of Hoffmans (I have their 16" pole climber, the modified Meindl linesman, and their Classic linesman)...Hoffmans being rebuildable? The fact that dont care for the old school linesman boots any longer? I also do not wear caulks any longer as I am no longer a real logger, and can get by without them.

Hope your on the mends and feeling a little better everyday..

Sorry Erik.
Rereading that post of mine I'm not sure either.
Inner cranial bleeding will have to be my defence.

Sorry Erik.
Rereading that post of mine I'm not sure either.
Inner cranial bleeding will have to be my defence.
Fair enough.. A serious head injury such as the one you received is no joke, so I sure hope your taking it very easy and healing up... This place needs your input, experience, and expertise.

Last edited:
Was pruning some old friends today. This fella is pretty good sized. Just taking dead and obvious stuff out of it. Been some years, but the prune I did back then held well. Rest was all crown raising and taking hangers out. That big dead log in the middle was bigger. Left it for habitat since no real targets. It had woodpeckers nesting in it. Squirrels. Top of it broke off. Now some crows are nesting in the top hollow of it.
I missed a lot in this thread. Seems my "new posts button does not give me this thread or How'd it go Today. Wonder what else. Guess I'll have to use the watch button. IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0576.JPG

Back