The Official Work Pictures Thread

I have a few friends in the UK who are recommending it. I have an old Pantin, old faithful. The strap is on its last legs.

I also had a CT which I loved but I wore out the strap under the heel. I either need to get a new one stitched up, wouldn't have a clue where to start looking to be honest. Or plum for a new one.

Decisions Decisions.

I have a few friends in the UK who are recommending it. I have an old Pantin, old faithful. The strap is on its last legs.

I also had a CT which I loved but I wore out the strap under the heel. I either need to get a new one stitched up, wouldn't have a clue where to start looking to be honest. Or plum for a new one.

Decisions Decisions.
I have a very lightly used CT sitting around here not getting used. PM me your shipping info and it yours.....My Covid present to you....

Last edited:
John, i even go so far as using a chest box, cause I'm bigger... above the belt. :lol: it's about the same effort as climbing a ladder once you get it set up right, and about as quick too. I have an adjustable bridge, so i just lengthen it to above the chest box roller. The chest box holds you upright, and i put my homemade knee ascender bungee up there too, so it has a longer stretch area. When i get to where i want to be i simply sit in the harness, unclip the chest box, then stand up and tighten the bridge, then pull ascenders. Only takes about 30 seconds to set up or break down, and i usually just leave the knee ascender in place if I'm going up and down a bunch. Works really well, i wouldn't consider using anything different until I break down and get a wraptor.

Kevin is a freak of nature😜. But yes, as Kyle said, it’s as easy as climbing a ladder once you get dialed in. I’m not an out of shape person ( although I’m not a marathon runner by any means) but I can rope walk to 80’ without really raising my heartbeat much. When done right you just use your hands lightly for balance. Your legs do all the work.

I’ve had a jetstep sitting in the box since the expo. I really need to try it out but my CT is so reliable that I just can’t bring myself to test the new one

Kevin is a freak of nature😜.

Ha I agree! Cool vid.

Eric I was watching a couple of your older vids, one was Double for Nothing, great vids. Do your know what boots you had on, were they Karakorum by LaSportiva? They look like a great boot, I almost got a pair, went tried and true Redwing instead. Yes I know lotta folks hate Redwing

La Spo
Ha I agree! Cool vid.

Eric I was watching a couple of your older vids, one was Double for Nothing, great vids. Do your know what boots you had on, were they Karakorum by LaSportiva? They look like a great boot, I almost got a pair, went tried and true Redwing instead. Yes I know lotta folks hate Redwing
La Sportiva Makalu....It is a crampon ready mountaineer boot with a full steel shank in the arch... One of, if not, the best spur boot I have ever worn....I spent over 35 yrs climbing in old school 16 " lineman boots (Wesco, White, Hoffman, ect) and will never go back to those torture racks... The new Euro mountaineering boots with proper steel arch support simply offer a level of comfort that the older Americana style boots cannot keep up with..I am a spur climber. Its what I do, so having the right purpose built boot is very important to me...IMHO these 3 are the best spur boots on the market-

10" Meindl Plain Toe Logger Lineman - https://hoffmanboots.com/10-meindl-logger-lineman
8" Hoffman Classic Plain toe - https://hoffmanboots.com/8-hoffman-classic-plain-toe-2
La Sportiva Makalu Mountaineering Boot - https://www.sportiva.com/makalu.html

I have become so enamored with these Euro style boots over the last few years that I now where these for everything but climbing (no steel shank). Built like a brick shithouse, light, waterproof, and like walking on fluffy clouds of joy...

Guide Non-Insulated GTX - https://www.crispius.com/guide-uninsulated-gtx

Yea, every once in a while I get all nastalgic and pull out my White or Hoffman lineman boots and lace em up for a job.. Inevitably it doesn't take long before I am yanking on my friction hitch and bombing to the ground to put on something a little more comfy.......

I see your from Maine.. My father was born and raised in Maine and some of the most valued moments of my life are hanging out with my grandpa at his cabin off Spar Cove Road outside Freeport and looking out over the water at Pound of Tea Island..

That's damn close to home. Did a ton of work this winter just a little up river towards mast landing. This shot is pointing at spar cove/ south Freeport, obscured by the pines. 20200115_130757.jpg

God's country, Ruel!

Good info for sure, Eric. In addition to yours, the LaSportiva boots have great reviews. The tread looks awesome. Are they tall enough to keep sawdust out?

The Crispi's look real nice but pricey.

The Makalus are 6-7 inch so you should be good as far as sawdust... I myself dont need or particularly like a tall boots. Some folks like the extra protection from pad rub that a lineman boot offers, but my shins are like something akin to old whale bone so nothing bothers them.....

Yea I splurged on the Crispis and absolutely love them... They are not a spur boot however...

Ha, "spring steel and whale bone"!

I guess those boots aren't rebuildable once the sole is shot , does that bother you at all?

The Maka
Ha, "spring steel and whale bone"!

I guess those boots aren't rebuildable once the sole is shot , does that bother you at all?
I highly doubt the Makalu is rebuildable, but I will say that I have been thrashing my Makalus for 5 yrs and they are doing great. Hoffman is my go to family run American built builder, and as far as I know all their boots are rebuildable. Hoffman is a class act all the way and I think their classic line is probably the best value in a spur boot. Just a beautifully build and super comfy boot.

6" Hoffman Classic Plain Toe - https://hoffmanboots.com/6-hoffman-classic

Wow those Hoffmans look good, I didn't click the link before, thanks.

If you've been thrashing the LaSportivas for 5 years and they are still good then I guess rebuilding is sorta irrelevant

While we're on a euro boot kick, check these out.
Not quite 4 years on mine and plenty of life left. That being said I only wear them for spur work or snow, muck, and the real steep and shitty terrain.
I like the arb pro evos for normal, everyday stuff. The newest rendition is even decent in spurs for half days, a bit more heel than the original. They just don't last near as long as the higher end boots.

Done two pairs of la sportivas in the past and I would also recommend those. I could never go back to loggers, killed my back.

Thats a fine looking boot.

Im gonna start shuffling on pavement instead of walking, gotta wear out these redwings, wanna try a fine euro boot and/or Hoffmans

While we're on a euro boot kick, check these out.
Not quite 4 years on mine and plenty of life left. That being said I only wear them for spur work or snow, muck, and the real steep and shitty terrain.
I like the arb pro evos for normal, everyday stuff. The newest rendition is even decent in spurs for half days, a bit more heel than the original. They just don't last near as long as the higher end boots.

Done two pairs of la sportivas in the past and I would also recommend those. I could never go back to loggers, killed my back.

I have considered the Scarpa's before but could never get an answer as to what type of arch support they have (steel of composite), and how stiff they are...

How do you find the arch support for long days is spur with the Scarpa?

Last edited:
I have considered the Scarpa's before but could never get an answer as to what type of arch support they have (steel of composite), and how stiff they are...

How do you find the arch support for long days is spur with the Scarpa?
The wrangells are steel. Super stiff. Like can't even feel the clutch pedal in my Tacoma stiff. Really good support in hooks

Back