The Official Work Pictures Thread

Is that a water line on the side of the bridge? Is that a pump/well house in the pictures? Private road or public access? I'd guess private...if public it would be interesting to see how the gov. folks weighed in on that project. Good looking bridge.

Cool pics and story!

So is redwood more or less rot proof ?

Is that a water line on the side of the bridge? Is that a pump/well house in the pictures? Private road or public access? I'd guess private...if public it would be interesting to see how the gov. folks weighed in on that project. Good looking bridge.
Yep... That is a pump house for a spring, and that is in fact a 2" waterline along the side of the bridge ( damn thing was a thorn in our side for the entirety of the project). Private road. Government folks? My lips are sealed....

Last edited:
Cool pics and story!

So is redwood more or less rot proof ?
Thanks Cory.. Redwood like any wood will eventually rot, but it is very resistant to bugs, rot, and water damage in general... There was zero sapwood used on this bridge, all wood that had any soil or base rock contact was PT, and we left 1.5 gaps between the deck board for runoff so it should last well past my lifetime...

Thanks Pete.. Its definitely not perfect but it turned out pretty decent considering the knuckleheads that did the work......I can get carried away when I'm building sometimes, so on bridge projects I have to remind myself that with all the trucks and cars driving over it its gonna quickly get thrashed so close is good enough.

Last edited:
Beefy slab. What's he gonna do with it?

I like the Alaskan cause I can make stuff as needed for not much money, but it really kills my back. A few hours on mill, and wrangling wood makes a loooong day.

Stig: Insane Copper Beach. Loved that beyond words. I might go out there and check it out in summer too. 8) :lol:

U.K. Rich: That pic of that Spruce top going out was insane. Thanks.

Peter: DUDE! NICE STUMPS, man! DANG. Some precision work going on up there. I can't leave you guys alone for a minute.

Ohio Rich: Ashes suck. Let em die imho. What do you wanna make a baseball bat? Just jokin' man, we just don't get em up here. They got em in Oregon, but we don't (we do get the odd one) Oregon Ash, too much, but they are yet native, I believe. I heard one guy proclaim Ash as the "firewood of the gods." I wonder.🤔

Erick: Dude, I can't thank you enough for coming back to the House and posting all of your falling/milling/deck-building/awsome project stuff. I gotta start taking notes for sure if I'm gonna survive the current regime that shut my tree service down.

Chris Girrard: Man, I don' think the pics went through! What forum did you post em on???

Ash is a nifty wood. I've been admiring the boards I made out of ash. It's terrible to mill though, or even cut in-tree as far as that goes. It's a sticky dusty mess. Not sticky like conifers, but the dust gets everywhere, and doesn't want to let go. When I say dust, I mean dust. I don't even know where it comes from. The saw will be making nice chips, but everything's still dusty.

I'm burning ash right now. It's a decent wood. The nice thing about it is it dries fast. My preferred oak takes forever. The ash is at work, and I grabbed some before I came home. We had some chilly weather today, and I wanted to save my spruce for next season as a chill remover; a quick fire to take the chill off til it warms up.

Sadly no pic of the box full of poop.......It was just a simple 8'x8'x10' Redwood box made from 2x10 with a baffle setup to separate the solids and the clear.. Plumbed it up to a new infiltrator system and its working like a champ......

I
Yep...a redwood septic tank got my attention, too.
Standard old school fair around here....folks have been shitting in wood septic tanks for a very long time, and Redwood makes a particularity good one...Think of all the old Redwood water tanks that have been in service for eons....I live in an old shotgun loggers cabin that was built around the turn of the century and the current septic was installed in the 60's. If you keep it functioning, dont allow it to dry up, and dont abuse then they can go a very long time...

Back