The Official Work Pictures Thread

Yep.
But with that much die back, it would be a wonder if it got better with no other treatment than a prune job.

I told the guy straight up it had a 50/50 chance; it would either die in the next five weeks, or in the next five years. He's ok with that.

Rich, how deep into the removal of EAB ash (read: all ash :cry:) would you say your area is? Around here, I'd guess we are approx 30% into, still still about 70% left to go.

The main difference I've noticed between "fallers/fellers?" and "arborists" is that fellers will move away as the tree falls(good) but arborists generally stand right beside and watch it go(not so good).

I don’t hang around most times. This includes a spar drop. Bad juju Hanging around the stump.
After talking with someone onsite, this is a result of watching the tree fall. A few other things were going on that led up to it but in the end...

I run and tell my guys to do the same. Newbies tend to stay close to stump.

I've been singing this song since before dirt was made from rocks, here on the 'House. It is begging for a beating to stay by the stump. In the woods, it's more obvious, but in res settings it holds true too, if you look into injury/death stats for arbs.

Run, Forest, run!
I have to beat that into every new apprentice.
Once the tree is committed there is nothing you can change, so get the hell out of Dodge.

Fast feet and an awareness of what is going on.
I've had my share of barberchairs even though I bore cut a lot..
Some you can cut your way out of with a sharp saw, the trick is knowing when to cut and when to skedaddle.
It is something that can really only be learned by surviving a few.

That's a deadly tree right there, Pete. If you're not both aware and fleet of foot, that's a high percentage killer. Well done keeping your head.

Back