The Official Work Pictures Thread

Tops will be chipped, yes.
3-500 cubic meters of chips help pay for the project.

The rest will be left to regrow new tops.
In a few years, when they have the money for it, everything will be replanted.

Here is a unique Cottonwood on the Madison River we pruned late fall 2019.

Attachments

• COTTONWOOD PRUNE 2 2020 BIG TWIG.jpg
    COTTONWOOD PRUNE 2 2020 BIG TWIG.jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 17
  • COTTONWOOD PRUNE 2019 BIGTWIG.jpeg
    COTTONWOOD PRUNE 2019 BIGTWIG.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: DMc
Some recent mulching for a ditch company, cleared a few miles of trees and brush.

Attachments

• BIG TWIG MULCHING BEFORE.jpeg
    BIG TWIG MULCHING BEFORE.jpeg
    851.1 KB · Views: 10
  • BIGTWIG MULCHING AFTER.jpeg
    BIGTWIG MULCHING AFTER.jpeg
    752.6 KB · Views: 10
  • BIG TWIG GTRUCK.jpeg
    BIG TWIG GTRUCK.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 11
In the middle of a 5 day job removing some big trees from the back of a homeowner's property. A dead walnut, a big cedar, an oversized ash, and the whopper, a 9 stem, 90ft. oak or maple (I'm leaning oak, as those were the only dead leaves I found below it). Took 2.5 days on that monster, and finished today. When we went to pull the stick over, the stem I had the rope in completely separated! Seeing dirt/spongy material got me thinking 'Is this 2 trees that merged together?!?!" Nope, it was actually 3 trees, as the next stem split in two on the fall, and the stump showed the distinct break between the specimens. The tree was 42in across at the stump, and made for an interesting story w/the homeowner and family.

IMG_20200314_082153.jpg

IMG_20200402_145939.jpg

Rich, for me the branches left at the topping point would be to lean on, hang on to, tie in to (drt) and to trick my mind into a sense of comfort. Could a seasoned pro have similar reasons?😉

Something like that mate. Holmenkollen is one of the highest points in Oslo, it is where the ski resort and famous ski jump are.

It was very blustery up there. The tree being stone dead was moving like a dead tree does, but in my vision there was live Fir tree which was moving like a live tree does. It was quite disorientating the two going different ways with the big gusts. A few times I considered going up there and knocking out the two leaders and then coming back down to crack on.

The gusts died down a bit so I carried on and as soon as I got within reach of the two leaders I sent them left and right. There were maybe 4 limbs left by that point.

I probably did grab them or lean on them, it wasn’t a calculated choice though, just get rid of the big magic mushroom I was under and the tree would stop moving.

It is a 300mx. They are good but that one is a bit tired. Still goes well but has a fair few hours on it.

Not mine by the way, it belongs to the guy I was climbing for. I still have the ST8.

We just hitched the ‘shitslinger’ to my truck to get it to the edge of the woodland.

Good enough Rich. I get caught up in the idea that there are "rules" involved with treework, where the main rule is getting it down safely and as close to your comfort zone as you can.

There is no doubt about it that topping a tree that has been skinned up to the topping point will wobble. Leaving the limbs on will definitely dampen the wobble.

It just depends what the surroundings are. I find you can make a plan on the deck and then things change once you are up there.

We were supposed to do another one that afternoon. A live tree growing towards a property. The gust were all blowing towards the house, we will do that one another day. We filled the day felling hazel back to coppice level at the same property.

We will speed line the second tree on a calm day and not start it at 1pm on a Friday arvo.

Last edited:
I find you can make a plan on the deck and then things change once you are up there.

When folks ask me how I will take a tree down I usually say: "I won't really know until I get up there". Things always look different from in the trenches (or up in the trees).

I spent most of the day coppicing hazel and chipping it, too.
Dropped a weeping beech, those are such a pain to chip, everything is turned the wrong way.

The owner had a tree he was very proud of, and justifiably so.
A large ( I have never seen one larger here, the picture doesn't do it justice) perfectly shaped copper beech.
He told me I should come by and see it in summer, guess it'll make for a fine outing on the motorcycle.

He said it drops about ½ a ton of seeds every year and he wished he knew someone who wanted them.
I'll turn the seed merchant, we harvested beech seeds for on to it, he is looking for another source for copper beech seeds of the really dark variety.

20200403_155717.jpg

Beautiful for sure. I really love beech trees. The little valley outside by back yard is full of copper beech. Love to see the leaves throughout the winter. They are just now losing their leaves as they put on new sprouts.

Back