The Official Work Pictures Thread

One of the main things I remember about New England apart from the hot blonde from Cornell I was seeing, was the autumn colours.

Greens through purple and most hues in-between.

We get colour changes in the UK but it blew me away the variety I saw over there.

Nice work and expaination Jed... ...If I go big it is usually because it is more convenient to do so.

That's what competent, responsible tree guys do. I'm trying to transition into your camp rather than behaving like a show-off jackass.

Sean (Ruel): Yeah... yeah... I know. Just between you and me :lol: I might go to work for P and D Logging, or Eastside Treeworks pretty soon. Man Davey sucks something fierce sometimes. I just need to shut up on here about it till I actually make the move. Then again... they're giving me a pretty good deal right now. :|:

On a brighter note... Here's a shot of the stump of a West Coast beaver if I ever saw one. He tried to put in a "high back cut Burnham Style," but the little bugger just got tired and waddled away.

unnamed-1561.jpg

We got hired to finish the job for him. Here's the crown with the limb weight toward the street. The string just to the right of the trunk is barely visible from my plumb-bob.

P82A27391.jpg

Back cut first plopped it right into the slough, off a wedge bang with no pull. 105'x33"...

unnamed-1562.jpg unnamed-1563.jpg P82A27371.jpg

Bob: That was seriously the coolest "before and after," that I've ever seen in my life.

I'll have a hinge worthy of a picture some day. Beautiful shot as we have come to expect Jed.
Bit low on the back cut, maybe next time.
72e4607594377110391d233ec43ec99c.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

A friend of mine just emailed me, currently doing BC Faller training. Somewhere west of Cambell River, North Island. His training is 30 days, + $30K. Then 180 days supervised falling for a Logging Co. He's loving it so far.

IMG_6497.jpg IMG_6582.jpg IMG_6585.jpg IMG_6603.jpg IMG_6570.jpg

Yeah it costs each candidate 30k. You have to go through the training. You might be able to challenge it, but with very little chance of getting a pass now days.

Bit low on the back cut, maybe next time.

Fine looking cut on a fine looking northern red oak, they grow great in Maine, eh?8)

A friend of mine just emailed me, currently doing BC Faller training. Somewhere west of Cambell River, North Island.

Nice post n pics, Reg.

Derail Alert: Seeing pics of virgin BC old growth being mowed down, and knowing the alarming increase of global warming stats together with the alarming increase in length of fire season as well as the unprecedented northward spread of fire territory, a reasonable question would seem to be is clearcutting another northern rain forest really a wise idea?? Robbing Peter to pay Paul? Injuriously focusing on the short term, small picture while thumbing the nose at the longer term picture?

It's big business and government Cory. Nothing is going to change until that fibre is all gone or becomes worthless. Otherwise it will be log on.

Squish,that's the short answer and I suspect the accurate answer.

And if true, that's rather sad as well as frustrating. As with most things in life, it's far easier to prevent problems than it is to fix them. A stitch in time saves nine.

Those cutters working there, it must be quite a feeling cutting old growth in the rain forest. Lotta hard, dangerous work of course, but the feeling must harken back to the early days of PNW logging when the forests seemed utterly limitless and global environmental problems and rampant population growth weren't anywhere on the radar. Now, it probably helps to pretend those problems don't exist while cutting hard and fast just like in those old days. But reality could easily catch up within just a few years, not some unforeseeable time in the future. Raging fires in the old growth rain forest would be a game changer.

I guess I smell a rat with industrial logging in virgin rain forest. Obviously smaller scale sustainable resource use is a very good thing.

I guess I smell a rat with industrial logging in virgin rain forest. Obviously smaller scale sustainable resource use is a very good thing.

What do mean with the smelling a rat comment ?

Your posts might be worth copying to the logging forum. It's a big subject.

Back