The Official Work Pictures Thread

Are you a hospitality acceptor Mick?

Might be some good food and drink on that place.

Like you'd ever come over!

Willard emailed me a while back, says he's in France with his family next year, threatened to visit, it'd be a laugh.

Everyone's welcome for a couple of nights, after that.....

Man, Buddy... Everything about that post was utterly beautiful. But who will fault me if I point to your hinge as the pinnacle?

Nice hinge.
Did a bit of pruning today. First was a white oak. A bit of a limb lift with dead wood and removing the sucker growth. Poked a few holes in the canopy as well to help with the lawn.
IMG_2050.jpg
Jason ran the bucket while I hit the inside. Saved me from having to go clear to the tips for thinning and dead wood and saved the tree from having holes cut in for boom access.
After lunch we went and did some reductions on some silver maples. They had been previously topped and then pretty much lion tailed. Home owner said it had been 5 years so it worked out ok for a reduction. The sucker growth was heavy enough to leave decent laterals and set it up for a better job in a few years
IMG_2052.jpg
Picture was taken from the bucket while I was finishing the second tree.

About five years ago Jason and I removed 20 hemlocks from the property with the white oak. All in the backyard and had no equipment to access it. We worked out asses off dragging everything out by hand. I remember thinking then that I was hoping to get a chance to prune that tree one day. The day came. It's not the biggest but definitely a beautiful specimen. Wish I had more pics. I had the HH and the Hh2 in action

thumbnail_IMG_2442.jpg
After zip lining limbs and tops out of a cluster of these long leafs yesterday, I hit the ground for lunch, took my hard hat off a little too close to one spar and splat, a big glob of sap right on top of the head. Had the Brylcreem look going with the GoJo last night.
I thought about making an Avatar like Buddy's on one of these ;)

Remarkable amount of sap! Seems impossible that can come out of a tree. My grandkinds discovered fat lightard yesterday...had fun making a Minecraft torch. They "harvested" the lightard and inserted it into a handle...gotta love that pine sap...sometimes.:D

Attachments

• 20171007_180140resized.jpg
    20171007_180140resized.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20171007_175948resized.jpg
    20171007_175948resized.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20171007_180021resized.jpg
    20171007_180021resized.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 76
It's cool stuff...wonderful aroma. Smells like Mr. Clean.

Mr_clean_2006.jpg

It makes me happy and hopeful for the future when I see young men playing with fire. Boys will be boys!

A natural attraction there. The torch was lit off of the campfire we made on the beach from the Driftwood. Lots of fire hahaha.

Nothing wrong with smelling like a pine tree there, Butch.

Fat lighter is cool stuff Gary, great to see the grandkids making such a wonderful discovery. With a little fat, you can start a fire under just about any weather conditions. I cut some old cat faced turpentine trees that had mostly turned to lighter for some yankees that had moved here and they were just fascinated by it. They had never seen or heard of it. There are still a few stumping outfits around that dig fat lighter stumps for explosives and turpentine. A stick of it we call "fat lighter". A knot we call (like you) a "lightard knot" which is super hard, almost pure pine rosin. Those kids better watch having that lit lighter over their heads, that hot, molten sap will drip out and make 'em holler for grandma!

hahaha...you are right. I let Hayden use my torch lighter to start it and he was under as he lit it...when I explained to him about pitch dripping out he almost looked horrified. One of those "what else can the world come up with that can bust your ass without mercy".:lol:

We worked up in Petaluma today...

Super burnt skies from the nearby fires.

This guy has been shoeing horses for 60 years. Gave him a discount and he tipped me way over what retail would have been... weird. I mean, Great.

62913e771bf64b421e50b3eeede882eb.jpg
3ddca957995d8b65287e2814561920a3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

40ish foot rotten split applish type tree. Leaning on cable and phone. A couple other tree co said they were going to do it, never showed up. I had no buisness doing it solo, 2 maasdams 90deg apart pulling and a 5to1 pulling up the center. Rotten hinge, was the best sounding wood with a hammer. Took as many branches I could with the 18ft pole saw. Didn't go where I was aiming, but it didn't go anywhere bad. I wish I had a skid steer!! ;)

20171010_100738.jpg

20171010_100943.jpg

20171010_104529.jpg

20171010_123820.jpg

20171010_125527.jpg

20171010_125616.jpg

Back