The Official Work Pictures Thread

Videos would benefit by a superimposed scale-line. This line is 30', or whatever. I can't tell if the track on the crawler is 60' long, 75', 100'.

Largish twin stemmed ash by the river.

This grapple changes the way we work, I was going to rig it down so we didn't have to fight the brambles and pull it up the slope in pieces, bit I thought sod it, slammed it down in large sections, grabbed them, pulled them up to the chipper in one.

Then saw a grab lorry go past, flagged him down, asked him if he wanted some free wood.
He said yes, so that saved some toing and froing.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 44
Sometimes you've got to make it happen, he had driven past a couple of times, full of gravel one way, empty the way back.

I had spotted him eyeing up the wood, I was eyeing up his lorry, I have a kind of Gaydar, only for lusters after free firewood rather than the other!

Bunch of firewood and sap letchers the lot of ya!

Ray: Mad sap envy up here in the cruel Northlands.

Gary/Butch: re: "fat lighter/rich lighter pine,".... also occurs in the ubiquitous Doug Pig. We call it pitch-wood. Smells like heaven on earth.

Rich: Loved those pruning pics.

Deva: Cool pix.

Peter: Handlin some nasty business.

Sean: Now you see why Paul rocks the House. Mad crane pic.

Mick: My dear and very good Mick... Why sir?... Why O why can we not prevail upon you to get more pics up? Your last shots were the stuff that dreams are made of.

Sorry about the walkabout, gents. I've just been doing TONS of super boring stuff lately. This rather run-of-the-mill Hemlock actually constitutes a real highlight.... Actually... I'm only taking the trouble to post it because of THIS guy...

unnamed-1484.jpg

Here we see the legendary Dave Cashman. I got the pleasure of working with this guy for the second time today. Would any of the more loggerish fellows on here possibly believe me, if I told you that in 1974, starting at 4:00 a.m. and finishing up at 11:00 p.m. in the middle of August... Dave literally put (way out behind the Tolt Watershed) 170,000 board feet (full limb and buck show) on the ground in one freaking day. (That's as much timber as most guys could do in a week.) He liteally broke into the trade on Stihl 090's. He then went to 075's and thence to 070's, then to 056's and yer smaller saws. He has cut 6' to 9' timber up by Mosquito Lake. The freakin guy has cut 230' Noble Fir down like they were stinkin weeds. He lost all of his front teeth from banging an ill-seated wedge. They don't make too many more like Dave these days.

Here he gives me a lesson on Square Fileing. "The main thing's just ta get yer rakers right."...

unnamed-1485.jpg

Clay took off all the limbs for me out of the bucket to 65'...

unnamed-1489.jpg

They I topped it and chunked wood...

unnamed-1490.jpg

Freakin Root-Rot...

unnamed-1488.jpg

Dave shows me how to tie, "The Nut."

unnamed-1486.jpg

Dang fine litle Hitch, I gotta say.

unnamed-1487.jpg

Nah, Butch... He was kinda ashamed for me to even take his pic. Who the heck even cares, eh?

Brian: No sweat, but... Correction! Edit!! It was Dave Sherman (young feller) who showed me the hitch, and not Dave Cashman. ;)

Back