The Official Work Pictures Thread

The long-sleeves and gloves guys are peverted weirdos in my humble opinion. I work with a dude (And I wouldn't be worthy to untie his boots, in heaven) who sews (yes, I said "sews") an extra flap onto the bottom of his sweatshirts in the winter time (he's probably 55 yrs. now) to prevent any possible chance of DougFir saw-chips getting down his pants. Perverted weirdo, imho.

The "authority" question is--for me--a deeply interesting one. For me, at any rate, Butch's, "Does HE wear chaps?", perfectly echo's Jesus's condemnation of the Pharisees... "And woe to you Pharisees, for you tie up heavy burdons for men to bear, but are not willing to lift a finger to help them carry them." At Davey... we've got chaps (all puns intended) who will drive around in air-conditioned trucks all day long, only popping out of the truck long enough to write you a SPVN, (or, Safe-Practice Working Violation, to the uninitiate) for not wearing your chaps. Big companies still suck even if I still make a decent living off of them. Small companies should suck a great deal less, imho. Someone will say that power-saw cuts suck worse, and I'd be hard-pressed to argue with them... we've all seen some disgusting internet images. I've seen one guy's arm... I won't go into it, but... this guy was a really good pro-faller... knew exactly what he was doing, and still dang-near cut his arm off. All the same, I agree with Reg... till we're chipped... they can't do a dang thing. It's up to you in the moment to decide whether the heat or the saw-chain poses the greater danger. Let them "write you up". They'd have fired you long before now if they'd really wanted to.

Just tons of pruning and some small-removal stuff for me, as of late. Four little Birches like this one today. So... there was this neat, little boxwood under the trees that I didn't want to smash... went with the Block-out Face... huge one... ripped down the "face," a good 12"... worked a charm. Here's what she looked like...

unnamed-1428.jpg

I can go without long sleeves when its super hot, but I gotta have gloves. Shorts sounds crazy, but I never had to work in those temps...

Two things I guess...

When in Rome... and... live and let live.

That's a sweet hinge Jed.

You guys might remember me posting a lame picture of a high stump a couple weeks ago. Well the carver is finished with it and it looks awesome!

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

Wow, that eagle is really nice.

Nice work Jed.

Cuttin for dad this weekend, finished cutting for the day, dad is yarding logs on the 518 as we speak.

Im drinkin beer, its hot. :)

Attachments

• 20170729_140413.jpg
    20170729_140413.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 55
518... I ran one of those alittle. A grapple machine and a line machine. I remember running the line machine in winter with 5 chokers. I got a little greedy with the wet snow on everything and ended up breaking the bull line. And setting chokers in the winter, not fun.

I wondered about that too but the guy has done other sculptures in our subdivision and they have all held up really well.

Great stump art, Buddy!

Jed, you're the ambassador of all that's saw!

I like that...when in Rome and live and let live

Bout sums it up for me. If I'm using the chainsaw all day, then saw pants...only because I tell my employee to wear chaps when he cuts... days where it's all pole clip, ladders and handsaws...I wear the arb pants...

The city barely gets above 65 degrees...or was freezing cold in some parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

:lol: One of the funniest scenes ever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wS3LWOTCW4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I will never really get it with you folks saying chaps, saw pants, long pants, long sleeves, etc. are too hot to wear.

Federal field work requires all of the above for regular daily work, and if you don't do it you get unemployed fast enough. And don't tell me those workers are just sleeping in their trucks through the heat of the day...I have been there children, and it is uncommon, though only a fool would say it never happens ;).

Fireline duty allows no such pissant copouts under far more difficult conditions...and if I did it, and hundreds of other fire fighters can do it, why can't you little girls buck up and do it?

Wimps for the most part, I guess is the answer.
:)

Lovely eagle.

The one thing I'd say about chainsaw trousers in the (hot hot) heat is that I don't wear them because I think they're a danger.

I find them horribly uncomfortable that's all.

I will never really get it with you folks saying chaps, saw pants, long pants, long sleeves, etc. are too hot to wear.

Federal field work requires all of the above for regular daily work, and if you don't do it you get unemployed fast enough. And don't tell me those workers are just sleeping in their trucks through the heat of the day...I have been there children, and it is uncommon, though only a fool would say it never happens ;).

Fireline duty allows no such pissant copouts under far more difficult conditions...and if I did it, and hundreds of other fire fighters can do it, why can't you little girls buck up and do it?

Wimps for the most part, I guess is the answer.
:)
If I lived and worked in Oregon then I might feel differently. But you have neither the heat or the humidity of central Florida up there.

Ha, wimps, that's a daft statement... they sure as shit are not working as hard as a production tree crew. I've had many close friends in the FS/gov agencies and as employees, govt work is not at he same level (aside from fire, that's a different animal).

Pulled over a real nice back-leaning Redwood for a neighbor. Had to set a tag-line and remove limbs on backside. Did the job for the logs, and skidded em' over to my place. Breaking in a new Lucas 10-30 before I set it up on some real logs. I've got about 50,000 board feet of Redwood and 35,000 board feet of beautiful Fir to mill, stack and dry. Man I need a vacation! DSC_1168.jpg IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0281.jpg IMG_0284.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 51
Erik...you have some bodacious pictures coming through. Great stuff...thanks for sharing!

And I see that yellow old truck back there...cool to see it as part of your operation.

Back