The Official Work Pictures Thread

Yeah man, that's solid work there, Deva. Nice pay too, imagine if you could line up 3 of those a day. You'd be solid as a rock and flush with cash!

Nice to see the AT in action. What did you do with that big ugly piece once it made it to the front yard?

Yeah they were, Tom. Seeing Greengrocer mill that stuff up pretty much made my day... Wish I were doing stuff like that.

Deva: You're gonna look like Arnold by the time you make it out of that city.

Rich: You guys ever burn Honey Loc? Man that stuff's rock hard ain't it? Can't rember if it's ashy or not. I burn a bunch of Black Loc.

Reg: Now THAT'S something different for up-here. I've maybe only SEEN like three of those trees over in Seattle, and nothing anywhere near that big.

This was our last day for these Cottonwoods, so you gents don't have to look at em anymore. I actually somehow don't really mind Cottonwood, (well... can I get away with this in the House?) to be totally honest, I actually love them in my own sick little way... Now the boys, on the other hand... Oh, MAN are they happy to be out. ...

unnamed-963.jpg unnamed-964.jpg unnamed-960.jpg unnamed-965.jpg

unnamed-961.jpg Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. unnamed-962.jpg

Fine looking gap.

Does that stuff become firewood, or what?

I guess we know why that reinforcing is on the bottom of the boom. Maybe should have gone up more? Glad it wasn't your job and nobody got hurt. When crane picks go wrong they go wrong quick

Can you imagine what that is going to cost to cut up and get out of there??

That is crazy!! Hope to never have to see that in person. So who is gonna be held liable for that? I go for the crane company as the op should've known better.

Jed I'll burn damn near anything. Only woods that I won't burn are cottonwood and willow. Just not enough btu's. Waste of time. Honey locust is very hard and dense. I let it sit CSS for at least a full year. I've been hauling the last load of the day to my house. Gonna set it aside and split it for when I get my outdoor burner installed. It burns hot as the hinges of hell when seasoned properly. Great for January.

I guess we know why that reinforcing is on the bottom of the boom. Maybe should have gone up more? Glad it wasn't your job and nobody got hurt. When crane picks go wrong they go wrong quick

More reinforcing is just moving the failure point up the boom. Must have been a major overload to cause that?!

Glad it wasn't your job and nobody got hurt. Can you imagine what that is going to cost to cut up and get out of there??
Me too. I'll find out the details, a friend with the power company sent me the pic. They had to get involved too so that will probably add even more to the expense.

Yeah, some outfits live for jobs like that, no choice but to hire.

Very lucky that nothing or nobody got smashed. I was at a job where the crane op forgot to put in the locking pin on the jib, it has to be done manually on that particular model crane. It would have been lucky if the pick didn't brush some other trees when getting transported to the lowering spot and the op then remembered, but the other trees made the jib crash back into the boom and the load plummeted taking out the edge of the roof with an elderly couple inside. At first I thought, "Oh shit, I must have blew the cable tie off somehow". Someone under that Oak when it came down could have easily died, no way to have the time to react, and who looks up the whole time a pick is being moved. The op had a head cold that day and was running a fever, likely something to do with his forgetting the pin. Cost of repair to the jib and boom was in the neighborhood of 25 grand, and no insurance available for anything above the lower portion of the crane. At least he could fold up well enough to get the thing home. Like the song says, "All shook up".

Jed (beautiful pictures as always), Is that knuckleboom the same truck you chip in to?

Nope. We needed three different trucks on this one. The knuckleboom, the flatbed which pulls the trailor with our Swinger-loader, and my weird chip truck which, at least DOES allow us to load wood into it over the side with our Swinger.

Cory: Nope. There's only a couple people up here with the huge, outdoor, hydraulic-type wood heaters who will burn all the Cottonwood (or whatever else) they can get. Ours just gets turned into hog fuel... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...AAARzxrBUed1cAWHvBqgLw&bvm=bv.130731782,d.cGc and used by some big electrical plant in Oregon.

Rich: Thanks... good info.

Ray, insurance covered the house damage. After the operator reasonably composed himself, he was on the horn to the insurance company. It was his job, by the way. I remember well because I was on extracurricular assignment to run to the home center store to buy large tarps to cover the roof, and back to my shop where I had some polypropylene rope 10,000 miles long. I remember the elderly couple sticking their heads out as if to say, "We're not really sure, but something must have gone wrong". Poor folks...

I remember the elderly couple sticking their heads out as if to say, "We're not really sure, but something must have gone wrong". Poor folks...

:lol: You're so funny, Jay... I can perfectly picture the little, grey-headed lady's face.

I just did Alders out of the bucket all day, over a road that the city of Kirkland had completely shut down just for our benefit. I was well past the guard-rail so I decided to put this stove-pipe cut into one...

:lol: unnamed-966.jpg

Look what it did...

unnamed-967.jpg

Pretty easy day... the biggest one out there easily wedged into the woods.

unnamed-969.jpg

Oh... our consulting arborist (I thought maybe somebody out there might get a laugh out of this) this morning said, "Jed, be sure to do one, long, big sloping cut on er to finish er off, like this... (makes sloping gesture with hand)... It's the 'new way' to do snags, I guess." :lol:

unnamed-970.jpg

Check out this Cottonwood I found down in the ravine... that pig was 150' all day long.

unnamed-968.jpg

Ray, they should fab that crane into a kboom now, it's halfway there....

Back