The Official Work Pictures Thread

That side dump chipper trailer combo is genius. Would save me some DOT hassle!!
They robbed five hours of my life last Thursday.

Jed, I know we say it all the time, but those hinges are artwork man.

You're a good fellow.

I've had this Forest Service kid on my crew temporarily... Christian Houser. He goes back to Helena for more DNR work in a coupla weeks. Yesterday he said, "In the Forest Service they teach us to bore in to get our hinge perfect, then wedge into the bore-cut from the side, and then cut the back wood. Why don't you do that?" It just so happened that the stump we were discussing had been a 5 degree back-leaner. I explained how you'd at least mushroom your wedges that way or maybe even have it sit back, and that you have so very much more wedge leverage doing it the traditional way. He seemed to nod assent to this, but I suspected that it was more out of respect for my "old-timer" lol status than anything. The look on his face read, "whatever." Today I'll try to explain to him that with a back-leaner especially... it's the exact same thing as with the bore-cut... once you have the thing sitting on wedges, you can pretty-up the stump all day long before you plunk it over.

August: It's cause your rigs are too clean, man. They stick out like a sore thumb in the tree industry. It's like you and Willie are in a contest. :/:

Shoot, I'm terrible, I washed my new truck yesterday for the first time! I need a Brendan influence

August, no DOT in sight for me when you're under 10K.
Jed, Willie nice hinges!
Mick, I'm happy my Max doesn't get into that "full sulk mode". Hahaha.
Maybe I should call him "Babe" is he is a true blue ox.:D

A quick 3 hr job yesterday afternoon. Climbed one poplar stem heavily leaning over client's house.
Stump out this morning.

Attachments

• 20160425_140101-1.jpg
    20160425_140101-1.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20160425_150105.jpg
    20160425_150105.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 66
  • 20160425_142637.jpg
    20160425_142637.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160425_152621.jpg
    20160425_152621.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 66
Today I'll try to explain to him that with a back-leaner especially... it's the exact same thing as with the bore-cut... once you have the thing sitting on wedges, you can pretty-up the stump all day long before you plunk it over.
But Jed, one of the biggest hazards in the logging industry from struck byes is cut timber left standing.
Your back leaner sitting on wedges only needs a little gust of wind to bring it down unexpectedly.

Here's old Soren again bore cutting and all with a Stihl 064-18" b/c. He uses 2 wedges spaced opposite of each other to increase lifting power.

http://youtu.be/pLAvjw7lb9A

I've been hunting a couple days now for pricing on those Muck Trucks...they seem to want to keep it a secret. Guess I'll have to make out the stupid form to find out what they want for one here.:|:
Not easy to find a dealer for them either is seems. They could really do better on their website I think.

Dave, I paid $3,000 Canadian for my Max 8 yrs ago. No mechanical trouble to date what so ever , only oil change and control cable adjustment.
There's a major distributor for them out of Florida. In Canada Toronto. I bought mine from a dealer in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Tons of accessories as their website shows.
People say I'll break my back loading it with heavy rounds. Not the case when you know how to lift.
I deadlift the block off the ground with bent legs , when I'm standing straight I then lift it and toss it into the bucket with my left knee/upper leg. Legs are the most powerful part of ones body.

Yeah I see the FL guy is getting about 3300 for the Max unit. I've got a boat-load of stuff to move around here over the next couple years and am thinking one would save me a lot of labor now that I've sold my mini.

$3300 US? I bought mine at the right time.

Quick 1/2 hour job on the 27" combined stump with cleanup. Customer says a new tree is going in its place.
Later on took out several mountain ash for another customer but too boring to bother with pics. :D

20160425_152621-1-1.jpg 20160426_110224-1.jpg 20160426_111636.jpg 20160426_120548.jpg

You run a clean operation Williard. I'm kinda envious of the self-made-man type of gig. I'm dependent on some of the biggest nutcases you've ever met in your life just to make a living. Oh, by the way... I was just joking about prettying it up all day long. I'd never just walk off and leave the pig.

Smore random shots from today...

unnamed-694.jpg unnamed-693.jpg Christian the Atheist produces the Hang-Loose sign completely unsolicited. I swear... it's just mandatory for all tree guys to make the sign whenever there is a camera within a 500 mile radius. Where we all borne in Hawaii? unnamed-696.jpg unnamed-695.jpg One of my prettier double-cuts. unnamed-692.jpg

Nice stuff Jed. I only do the hang loose when on a single tie in. Never on the ground!
image.jpg
Notice something missing on that BC2100? That's one of the owners in the pic. He's the one who has killed two of them with in two days time. Our new 2100 is at Vermeer being investigated because it took 7 fire extinguishers and the Macedonia FD to put it out yesterday. image.jpg
The shaft sheared today on our older one. 5000+ hours on it. Vermeer's local head mech is coming out in the morning to inspect the drum and let us know if it is ok. 10 G's for a new drum plus 4500 for a shaft and new bearings. Add a cutter bar, new blades, and a lot of hours of repair welding. He's on a role. I suggested that he takes our old, worn out, 115 HP, POS 1800 tomorrow and kill it. It's been an expensive week and it's only Tuesday.
Here's a work pic. Just the wood pile from a large double ash for the county today. image.jpg

Yep. Bigger equipment means bigger ($) problems. That damn old 1800 has been on fire 3 times and won't die though. The last time the owner was there and said let her burn. It went out within seconds of him saying that. I think the new one went like a combine. Just dust build up and a spark started it. Luckily it never caused a fuel or hydraulic line to burst.

Back