The Official Work Pictures Thread

Btw, do you guys have any particular short hand way to write down tree names for your own notes? A friend showed me how to write basically every tree using 3 letters. A single name like sycamore shortens to syc. A 2-part name like pin oak shortens to pio, white oak is who, white pine is whp, maple is map, red maple is rem, norway maple is nom, sweet gum is swg, northern red oak is nro, hackberry is hac, beech is bee, douglas fir is dof, hawthorne is haw. When you get used to it, it saves lots of time and writing.

Btw, do you guys have any particular short hand way to write down tree names for your own notes? A friend showed me how to write basically every tree using 3 letters. A single name like sycamore shortens to syc. A 2-part name like pin oak shortens to pio, white oak is who, white pine is whp, maple is map, red maple is rem, norway maple is nom, sweet gum is swg, northern red oak is nro, hackberry is hac, beech is bee, douglas fir is dof, hawthorne is haw. When you get used to it, it saves lots of time and writing.

I absolutely do that.

I've done a lot of hazard work for parks using such systems, and use them for consults/ inventories, and for bids. Much easier to have a standardized shorthand. DF doug Fir, M maple, Mad madrone, hem hemlock, c cedar.

R removal, Dw deadwood, Pr Prune, C/B Cable and brace.

Deadwooded and canopy raised/ reduced a big sycamore maple/ london planetree. Good dry climbing. Technical but fun. Definitely going to change from a 15' Steel core lanyard to a 20-25' rope lanyard toworrow. Have to go to the high points for broken tops. 4-5' diameter. Respectable spread. The garage has already had the eave cut away before, and is due again. Roof looks like it is 20 years old. IMG_20160331_152617054[1].jpg IMG_20160331_152607980_HDR[1].jpg

New college guy did respectably. Eased him into its. He's looking like a two day a week extra hand. Looking around for someone with experience.

I said to the guy that "this is a foot ascender, this is a floating ascender. its my rope walker system." He says, "I used that once to climb a tree".

Guess who's gear he was climbing on?
Turns out that I helped friend put on a 'tree climbing day' for some WA Conservation Corps workers/ volunteers a while back and this guy was there.

Had the new kid from the employment agency cancel an interview, as he got a job offer, elsewhere, today.

I did a similar one today.

Cory: I used to never post pics, but now I do. Here are the reasons I can think of for why a guy wouldn't:

1) The awkward time required to actually get out the device to take the pic in the first place.
2) The awkward moment... feelings of vanity in front of the boys, etc.
3) Feelings of vanity over the entire ammount of time taken to take the pics, email the pics, upload the pics, post them and explain them.
4) An indescribable shyness/reticence as if you are losing a part of your soul the moment the pic goes online, or else the reluctance to shoulder potential viewers with any feeling of the social duty to respond.
5) Ignorance of the technical aspects in posting etc.

All of these have prevented me in the past from posting pics. Which ones effect you?

Stig: That was such a beautiful bole. Great shots.

August: That might be my new favorite tree vid. Just loved it. Love when you perfectly nail the diagonal of that Humboldt. You cut from feel like a commercial faller.

Jed, very well stated...you have that well thought out..good thinker between those ears, there.:D

As I dropped an arc-shaped 30 foot spar yesterday (bad leaner that I had to piece out) a great picture appeared all of a sudden. From my cutting point 4 feet below street level as the tree eased over (Alex had a portawrap holding it..couldn't gouge the Dr's nice grass) the arc perfectly framed my truck. I considered whipping out the cell phone to get it but we were pushing hard to finish in time for him to get boys off the bus and I wasn't sure we had time to spare...so I just mentally recorded it.

We all miss some good ones I am sure...just have to take what we can.

I always felt like a dufus trying to line up pictures, didn't fit with my borderline medieval tree slayer look.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. Lol.

Cory: I used to never post pics, but now I do. Here are the reasons I can think of for why a guy wouldn't:

1) The awkward time required to actually get out the device to take the pic in the first place.
2) The awkward moment... feelings of vanity in front of the boys, etc.
3) Feelings of vanity over the entire ammount of time taken to take the pics, email the pics, upload the pics, post them and explain them.
4) An indescribable shyness/reticence as if you are losing a part of your soul the moment the pic goes online, or else the reluctance to shoulder potential viewers with any feeling of the social duty to respond.
5) Ignorance of the technical aspects in posting etc.

All of these have prevented me in the past from posting pics. Which ones effect you?

That's some serious over thinking Jed.

S'right, overthinking.

I enjoy keeping them on the iPad and periodically (whilst waiting for boats, planes, clients etc) going through my old work photos just for enjoyment.
I don't post many because a lot of my stuff is routine. Blue skies always help.
We're all on here to talk about this stuff aren't we? Photos help.
I enjoy pics with context, workers, chippers, houses, gardens. Awesome is good but I love a peak into other people's working day.

I'm narcissistic and vain. It helps dispel any awkwardness about taking awesome selfies and pics. I hope Stig sees this pic. The Jacket belongs to a Major in the Danish army.

Attachments

• 12194729_10208235483674329_7498527649886842016_o.jpg
    12194729_10208235483674329_7498527649886842016_o.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 45
How did you get that jacket off him, Ed?
There seems to be some rules about military uniforms and non military people..............?

It is ok to be nacissistic and vain when one is so good looking.

I'm narcissistic and vain. It helps dispel any awkwardness about taking awesome selfies and pics. I hope Stig sees this pic. The Jacket belongs to a Major in the Danish army.

Ed, just an awesome pic.

That's a cool looking lid, never seen that. Whats it like ?

My girlfriend sold him 5 million euros worth of aluminium roadway, dispensers and trucks. As a bit of a busty blonde valkyrie, she went down well with the Danish military staff. The jacket was a present, along with some amazing danish military thermal underwear. I promptly appropriated the lot for a more worthy cause when she got back.
And yes Stig, Major Lars would get a bollocking for giving away that jacket...

Back