The Official Work Pictures Thread

I want to make sure I have this right- you lowered a 100' long hedge by 40', in one day? How many climbers? Is that cedar of some sort?

Yup, just me climbing, 2 on the ground. Bit of chipping and trimming left to do today.

It's Leyland Cypress, X Cupressocyparis leylandii

Today's horror show. 60' reduced to 20', 100' run.

Wow. I've never had a nightmare like that.... yet.

Joel: Excellent work.

Rich: I can't believe the size of the oaks you guys do all the time. I think the biggest tree I've ever done in my life was 52".

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Just a few from yesterday. Nice stand of locust on the ROW. The two closest to the road leaned a bit to much to try and pull with just a fiddle block so I just stripped them down quick. Locust sucks to set lines in. To many tight crotches.

We had to leave our logging site to help a mechanical harvester deal with some trees that were to big for him.
Spent the remainder of the day trimming and dead wooding an old oak.
Back to logging again tomorrow. P1040179.JPG P1040180.JPG P1040185.JPG P1040197.JPG P1040194.JPG P1040193.JPG

Those locusts look bloody horrible! Glad I don't have to deal with them often.

Nice variety of work for a change there Stig. I like felling for the harvester - drop them, length or two off & on to the next one

Great pics!

Solo day, not a fan of doing it, but the area was right and the weather was good, going to get worse through the week. Disassembled a crimson king norway maple.
IMG_20160330_125531.jpg

Then took the weight off one side of a small harlequin maple and pulled it over with the maasdam, since it would fit in the yard. HO clean up.
IMG_20160330_142117.jpg

Finished the two small trees and struck up a conversation with a neighbour, who had a stump. 7 minutes with 2 sets of angled teeth added to my old 8inch disc, haven't had time to install the 10 inch disc yet.

IMG_20160330_162820.jpg

Peter, seems like you could weld on an alternator, air pump or whatnot, that has the slide tensioner, and the pulleys/bearing for your tensioner. No?

Pin oak removal from Saturday. Made a lot of sawdust. Went out with a different crew and they weren't the best in the ropes so it came down with a lot of cuts

Btw, Rich, if you had a good guy on the ropes, would you have 'negative blocked' that big trunk down?? Between the sidewalk and road is always a bit tricky. That wood was fat. I did a similar one today. After the second rope cut on the spar was not allowed to run/stopped dead (regular rope guy is out of town), I just chunked down the rest. Not sexy but pretty simple.

Haven't caught up on the thread, I'll catch up tomorrow. Shot a bunch of cell phone pics and video today on my latest beetle kill job.
Was going to throw stills up here and talk about it but thought I might just make a video edit with my phone instead to tell the story. I got a lot of cleanup to do after I get those logs decked 😬

Just using my iPhone so if someone will embed this properly please...

http://youtu.be/1ItZPMzyV5Y

That last fell at the corner of the house actually made me stop chewing my egg sandwich...as did the crack opening in the stump at 1:36 as the spar went over. Very impressive the quality and detail possible with our everyday devices we keep in our pants pocket. Loved the impromptu phone holder over the water....somebody is crazy!!

Cool video August.
Cory I if I'd of had my crew I would've roped the trunk wood down. Double up on the rigging and do 6-8' at a time. Or stayed single and 4' at a time. Still would've had a crush pad.

So 6-8' and with a pull line on top? By doubling the rigging I guess you mean 2 bull ropes, 2 blocks, and 2 portys ( or some other LD that can handle 2 ropes)? I have no doubt you would do a nice job on that with your regular crew, but just for sake of discussion, that sounds like a lot of setup time for those 6-8' pieces (though I am guessing because I've never doubled up rigging), would it be easier or faster or safer to chunk it down with no roping?

I think it's a draw on time. No pull rope though. Undermine the cog to tip them.
image.jpg
The task for today. Raining pretty steady so we've been taking breaks.

LOL Gary, yes when I made that iPhone mount over the water, I told Joe this is crazy but it's more exciting.

AMEN! On the undermining COG Rich. Love hearing people talk like that. It's so sane.

Back