The Official Work Pictures Thread

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l50L4GYhpLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks, woodslinger, im still building my confidence on just gaffs n flipline. But thanks man much appreciated.
Didn't see the video on my phone. Sounds like you're learning and processing by leaps and bounds.

I don't get the wanting to be able to climb on sports and flip line only.

Personally I'm both safer and faster when I've got a climb line installed. Easier on the body, too. I can believe getting a good DdRT climb line isolated and a friction saver installed allows a person down a lot.

This will wear out your body, IMO, especially in tree gaffs.

I am possibly in the minority here.

Again, congrats on skill development.

Little contract climb today, no groundies were sent, again, self lowered some branches overhanging a neighbours house and fence, kinda make out the mini porty I welded up behind the mini block, I was going to cut smaller, decided to rig it instead. First time in a long time I've had to drag brush, thankfully it wasn't anything.

IMG_20150715_095102.jpg IMG_20150715_121010.jpg

Nice drop, Charles.
Gotta love it when a big top goes off like that:)

What is your lowering system, there? Looks complicated, and heavy, Peter. No offense meant, just asking. I hardly take a block into a tree, working solo, especially. Lowering device, mostly for a spar.

You could easily weld up a crude Belay Spool, non swiveling side plates, but functional.

Didn't see the video on my phone. Sounds like you're learning and processing by leaps and bounds.

I don't get the wanting to be able to climb on sports and flip line only.

Personally I'm both safer and faster when I've got a climb line installed. Easier on the body, too. I can believe getting a good DdRT climb line isolated and a friction saver installed allows a person down a lot.

This will wear out your body, IMO, especially in tree gaffs.

I am possibly in the minority here.

Again, congrats on skill development.

Gaffing and flipping is were I lack, I get better at that the rest is easy, im at the point right now we're someday I trust my gear n somedays I don't. Wish I could figure that out.

What is your lowering system, there? Looks complicated, and heavy, Peter. No offense meant, just asking. I hardly take a block into a tree, working solo, especially. Lowering device, mostly for a spar.

You could easily weld up a crude Belay Spool, non swiveling side plates, but functional.

No problem. A rigging rope bowline around an anchor point, sling choking the branch to be lowered, biner clips on rigging rope, mini block, on a loopie, and a mini porty on a loopy. Lower the limb, untie bowline, pull through and back up. It all fit in my speedline backpack. I just clipped it with the rigging line to the tail end of my climb line and pulled it up once I got up.

I had it in my head some of the branches were going to need be lifted up and over a fence, so I opted this way.

I am going to make a belay spool, only issue is finding suitable square tubing with a nice radius on the corners. That's what's holding me up. I'm going to make it like a block, with a captured thimble and one cheek swivels.

Besides.... bought the damn mini block I'm gonna use it where I can! ;)

Peter, that's a Double Whip Tackle, allowing your to retrieve your rope. Are you attaching midline at all? First limb on the end, next part way down clipped on a bowline on a bight, perhaps, or just tie directly to the limb.

What about a piece of square tubing, and add some weld to the corners, and grind smooth, or something? The BS has "radiused corners". Its not a huge bend radius, though. I always thought of that as a limitation. I don't know if they throw out a rescue line after one use, where you don't care about cycles to failure or dynamic loading.

If you look on TreeBuzz, half way down the page http://portal.treebuzz.com/where-should-friction-be-in-our-rope-rigging-systems-672, you will see Glenn Riggs homemade device. Looks welded and ground smooth, maybe.

I just got a call back from metal supermarket, I was thinking some solid 3inch aluminum and I can round the edges in my lathe, $48/ foot. I might also bend up some flat plate out of steel, bend a good radius in it in my 20 ton press, gotta dig out some dies I have.

When?

What kind of bend radius?

With the Belay Spool, my take on it was always that it had a bad/ non-ideal bend radius. I like it though.

Any ETA?

Rope capacity? 1/2" or greater?

Thanks for the help naming the mini guys.

Got a fun project this week

Lonnie rigging out a Doug Fir

image.jpg

Good views, Gallatin river below
image.jpg

Back