The Official Work Pictures Thread

scared the shit out of me too. I was the only one on my crew who saw that as well, out of nowhere winds picked up 25mph, gaffs slid down rotting wood, and thats the tree spider jack bolt came out. Brought up with me incase i needed fast exit.
Was not climbing up another inch.

IMG_20131105_155746655.jpg

This is the 2 wide maples that had to go down into the narrow spot between houses, with the skylights and glass roof on the porch. The little doug-fir between the houses went away, too.

I'm up there about 10' below the topping point/ rigging point. The second tree behind me was 1' from the glass roof, which I almost broke, but only flipped the plywood off by clipping the edge of the plywood which overhung 6".

He really wants to clear out all those tree behind. Some volunteer maples have gotten big right next to the 90+ y.o. neighbor's sun room. The redwoods are way too close to the foundations, and they are only 40 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_20131105_155746158.jpg
    IMG_20131105_155746158.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 71
Yesterday's double leader (used to be triple) maple, each about 24" DBH. Some minor decay. My concern was all the dead cambium hidden under the sapsucker damaged bark which was still over a lot of the affected areas. Ultimately the tree was pretty sound, but I was able to tie into one lead, and rig any heavier stuff, minorly heavy, onto the other lead.

The tree is declining, and they are going to build a small outbuilding for better pumps for the feature, which is probably 150' long, with several small waterfalls, and has koi.

IMG_20131119_131045538.jpg
The water feature is about 10 times what you see there, and come up to about 15' from the trunk, so we swung stuff away, missing some pump boxes.
IMG_20131119_131102771_HDR.jpg

Today's nightmare:

Subject: One 40 foot Casuarina tree in a tight back yard. Tree is on top of 40 foot cliff with another house at the bottom. Oh, and the base is almost completely, frighteningly decayed. No problem, just another day in Hong Kong.

But wait! This fine tree also happens to be covered in, smothered by, indeed, completely engulfed in a giant Bougainvillea, from bottom to top, inside and out.

For those of you that don't know what Bougainvillea is, imagine millions of 30 foot long whips covered in nasty nasty thorns and all tangled together. Whatever you imagined, it's worse than that. Fiona will know what I mean.

So, who you gonna call? The crazy foreigner that will do anything.

I am actually ashamed to post pictures of this tree considering all of the other impressive and mighty tree work shown in this thread. But this tree left an impression on me. I screamed, I cursed, I groaned, I nearly cried, I bled a lot, I felt like a total beginner again. This tree humbled me.

And the best part is it's not finished. I get to go back again tomorrow and continue pulling this godawful mess out of this tree, and then rig the scary thing down in itsy bitsy pieces. Please wish me luck.

IMG_20131121_094716.rotated.jpg IMG_20131121_123210.rotated.jpg IMG_20131121_164546.rotated.jpg

Leon, I've seen that kind of mess before, maybe partial to Asia. Lots of yanking at it? We don't very often get to see your work pics in that part of the world, cool to see. Are pools common in HK? The house also looks interesting.

Pools are not common Jay. This is in a very wealthy neighborhood, Jaguars, Porsches, Maseratis, Ferraris all over the place.

I think I must have seen more big Mercedes in Honk Kong per square meter than I have anywhere else. It's no wonder that the Chinese didn't want to mess with the place too much when they took it over.

Good luck with the rest of it Leon, I know what working with Bougainvillea is like there's heaps of it around here.

My condolences Steve. The stuff is horrid.

I just came up with a plan for guying the tree before I start any rigging, so I'm feeling a little bit better about it now.

A guy wanted a simple low table for a traditional mat room. I've always liked the combination of Walnut and Cherry A little natural asymmetry seems to work well in these rooms, everything is so rectilinear and furniture is very sparse to non existent. The mats are really comfortable to sit or lay on by the way, if you have never experienced it. You can get them with heating elements installed under now, very nice in the winter.

Attachments

• sawada1 copy.jpg
    sawada1 copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • sawada2 copy.jpg
    sawada2 copy.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
Nice work, Jay. Agree with Pat/ Pigwot about the change from angles.

Leon, good pics. Any drilling to see what kind of shell it has. Poor compartmentalizer? Does that look like bulldozer-itis, or a lost leader that caused the catface?

I need to tell skwerl thank you. I was up in the bucket yesterday and one of the low pressure lines cracked and I lost controls about 50' up. My ground guy got me down and I got on my phone and the forum to check my PM's for the message skwerl sent with the part number, I was up and running again within an hour.

When the line cracked the wind blew fluid on the side of the house, it has vinyl siding. Whats the best thing to use to get it off the siding?

Back