The Official Work Pictures Thread

I mull the design over in my head, just kind of let it come to me, often cleaning up the shop from the previous work until I get an idea. I like to ask myself, what does my eye want to see in that room, the feeling of it, try to become a bit detached like someone else that will be looking at it that didn't make it. Might hit a few books of classical or modern furniture to get some inspiration. It isn't hard to get carried away with your own ideas. Have to work out the proportions, arrange the wood, sometimes from outside to inside the shop for some additional seasoning. After cutting to length plus a bit, let it sit a little longer. It seems that when you remove some of the stresses off of a piece of wood in the length and width, it often wants to move around some more. Some species variation with that too. Get to making it, maybe some mockups out of plywood or cheap wood, things look different from paper to three dimensional. Consider thicknesses and joinery. Get to the machine work, finish planing and edge details, sanding, then the overall construction. Hand planing takes time, but is also one of the most enjoyable aspects of woodworking, never seems to get old. Get it all put together then really go over it for bruises or blemishes, what all can happen when clamping or even just moving it around. Some final sanding. Finishing adds time on and off over a week or ten days or so, drying time between applications of oil, with lots of polishing during the oiling process. So, total time involved is kind of a combination of the constant work and when on and off the project for intermittent periods.

I guess if i considered the total time for a table like that, my time involved would be like three weeks at a comfortable pace. I don't like to rush it unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes things have a way of time stretching out. The second time around on a given design generally goes a lot faster, much less considerations involved. That is where you can do pretty well. Problem is, often I will never do a design again. Each house is different, and the people there. Unless you have a big name and can get big bucks for whatever you do, having some standards that you might do fairly regular, or at least know the general design and other specifics well for a given piece, is pretty essential to be successful at it business wise. Not having to spend time thinking so much is a big plus. New work is fun but more often than not doesn't pay so well. I have a few standards, but these days coming up with new designs mostly keeps me interested.

Tree work adds a really great change, I dig it. With trees, much easier to measure how much work you get done in a day, plus doing it with some bros.

Thought I'd post these for Jay. A friend of mine is a furniture maker. This table would be about $5k

Attachments

• 20131117_222503.jpg
    20131117_222503.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20131117_222724.jpg
    20131117_222724.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20131117_222514.jpg
    20131117_222514.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 63
Thanks Ed. Can't much get away with using gnarly knots and voids here as a rule, but sometimes interesting. It's been some years since I was practicing woodwork in your part of the world. That table is more representative of an individual approach, but the traditions for interior woodwork in and around Great Britain were highly developed and the finest in the world. At least during my time there, people seemed to understand the value of quality work. What you could see in the average furniture stores generally wasn't bad to quite good.

99% of whats sold here is now Ikea Jay. Tims work is very rare and sought after. He deliberately uses a lot of figured and knotty timber, and highlights the natural flaws and structure within. Not sure if you can see it, but he puts in a lot of pewter and purple heart detailing.

Ed, Ikea is big here now too, seems to be a world wide phenomenon. People want inexpensive. Great Britain was full of fantastic woods for woodwork, way back when. The wood yards around Buckinghamshie, logs sawn up and sold in the flitch. Beech to your heart's desire, and huge Elms! That is the best way to buy wood if you want matching material. Is there any English Walnut left? Beautiful wood.

Indeed beautiful! A work of art.

I feel for you Leon... People plant that all over CA and AZ as well.. I first tangled with it in So CAL on my Grandmas place... She had orange trees and it was under one of them.... Painful... Not on the scale you have there though... Hope you brought a needle and bandages....

I love bougainvillea. As long as I only have to look at it from a safe distance.

Leon that looked f'd up! I can't believe you agreed to do that tree, I would have walked....no ran from that tree. Glad it's over by now I'm sure.

Jay beautiful table! That is amazing, how long does it take to build something like that?

A photo from yesterday. Big moreton bay fig,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 53
The lift sure does make life easier, although I'm beginning to fear I'm becoming a buck baby....$hit!

jp:D

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 89
Hella tree!!

How high does your lift go and what make is it?

The wife and I are planning to visit Hawaii next fall for our 40th anniversary. Hope she lets me try climbing a palm so I can say I have. I will have to get in touch with you if possible. Looks like a nice place. I need to warn you that every time I have gone south in the fall or winter for warmth, it has been the only place I wore my winter coat the entire trip. Hope I don't jinx you folks next year!!

Back