The Official Work Pictures Thread

@stig
So you have Sitka and Douglas, presumably they’re planted in different blocks, what’s the thought process as to placement? are there soil or light/drainage considerations to consider what goes where?

Behold, I hath done a thing... IMG_20231122_231156.jpg IMG_20231122_230936.jpg

My cousin called me yesterday to help him with a fat Ponderosa in a target rich environment. I was supposed to just supply my big boy rigging and run the rope. Turns out the job was for extended family, my cousin's cousin's uncle's widow. Legit, that's how far out on the family tree we we're limb walking. We all know how it goes on family jobs, what shoulda took two hours, ended In the moon light.

Cousin went until he hit the elevation wall, he was up almost 4000ft from home! Short of breath and visibly struggling with muscle cramps and arm fatigue, I offered to spell him out before anything too "Western" happened.
I rigged out the rest of the brush, save a few limbs, lower down to dampen the sway, then I pussed out.
Dead, decaying lightning strike, with ants, plus major wood pecker activity, and a crack wide and deep enough into 18 inch wood to slide two hands into. I made an executive decision...
Cousin has had an hour or so to recover. This is cousin's job. This is on cousin's insurance. Am I on cousin's insurance? Did he think that far ahead? Drop zone is 20x30 ONTO a leech field. Who's better at running rope? Cousin sucks on the ground...

*Brief Unicender fun*

"Alright cousin, send a fatty, I'll run the rope. Enjoy the ride."

His top was fifteen feet. His cut was 16 inches across. Came down gentle as saw dust. There's still some rust on my spurs, but my ground game is on point! Didn't help us go any faster though. Dusk was nearing darkness when the last rope was freed. IMG_20231122_174913050.jpg

I'll go over in a week or so, with my gear, my saw, and my groundie to chunk the stem down. Cousin lives and works in the big city, by comparison I'm quite close. Once our large, preThanksgiving audience realized who I was, and how we're related, I discovered that I didn't bring enough business cards. Hopefully that pans out lol.

Still, got a pretty awesome pic of Bubba rapping out for the night...

@stig
So you have Sitka and Douglas, presumably they’re planted in different blocks, what’s the thought process as to placement? are there soil or light/drainage considerations to consider what goes where?
Absolutely.
Sitka handles wet soil better and is also planted in low lying areas where there is risk of late frost.
They can handle having the new shoots frozen off better than just about anything else here.
So in a lot of places Sitka is simply what you stuff into the places where nothing else will thrive.
The Doug fir varieties we use like a well drained , rich soil and once they get going, they really take off.

We have lots ( As in 5-6 , small country, you know) private nurseries.
By now the American species have been grown here long enough, that we have selected stands, that show good ability in our climate, from which seeds are harvested.
I've done my bit of seed harvesting over the years.

Excellent stuff, thanks.
Douglas plantations are common here as it’s a fast growing high value timber.
Poplar get put in the wet spots as there’s a big pallet making industry here, very quick turnaround.

Pretty similar here, as to the use of spruce where nothing else will take due to moisture and frost. If it's moisture alone, Western Redcedar. Western white pine takes frost well, but not moist soils.

You have to know your site characteristics to do good reforestation.

I’m trying to get the nerve to a 32.6 mile loop through the lava past 5 amazing beaches then up the cliff to Kau desert at 4000’.
Gonna bring a ton of food and a gallon and a half of water…. Preparing my mind for 8-10 hours…. It would be rad to have a trail buddy but don’t find a lot of other people like me. IMG_0418.jpeg

Based on the angle of the cable, it looks like they were planning to stand it up. Did the cutter just start cutting before the crane guy tightened up?

I’m not qualified to work with a crane but I am aware that the pick should always be pretensioned. No “letting it run” allowed.
This^^^

I've never had the opportunity to work with a crane, and I'm fine with it. I'd like to spend a year working the ground crew for a tree crane, before climbing with one. But that's just me.

Deva, you are a different breed. Great pics btw.

That crane going over has so many things wrong. Looks to me that they were way over loaded. That piece also looked like it would’ve planed out if not flipped had they been able to lift it.

Back