The Official Work Pictures Thread

Do people truly have a birch specific pollen allergy?

I hear a lot about it here in Norway.

Years ago I worked with a young lad who was on an apprentice placement with the company I was contracting to. Seemed a good kid. Very keen climber.

4 years later I saw him with a clipboard on a ferry going out to an island. I asked him how things were going. He was an arborist employed by the Kommune and was going out to survey trees.

I asked how his climbing was getting on. He said he has summer sickness and couldn’t work in the summer.

I asked what summer sickness was and he said Birch Pollen Allergy - basically hay fever.

I just chuckled and said maybe he should choose a better career path.

A tree surgeon allergic to trees smh! Thing is over here you just can go to the doctors and get a sick note for almost anything.

Once registered sick you get your full salary paid by the gov.

What sort of job is that stig? Is it a woodlot, or a private job? Looks like field recovery wasteland in the back.

I hear a lot about it here in Norway.

Years ago I worked with a young lad who was on an apprentice placement with the company I was contracting to. Seemed a good kid. Very keen climber.

4 years later I saw him with a clipboard on a ferry going out to an island. I asked him how things were going. He was an arborist employed by the Kommune and was going out to survey trees.

I asked how his climbing was getting on. He said he has summer sickness and couldn’t work in the summer.

I asked what summer sickness was and he said Birch Pollen Allergy - basically hay fever.

I just chuckled and said maybe he should choose a better career path.

A tree surgeon allergic to trees smh! Thing is over here you just can go to the doctors and get a sick note for almost anything.

Once registered sick you get your full salary paid by the gov.
i am very allergic to whatever pollen, it‘s annoying but obviuosly there are worse things. while climbing i can just smear it onto the trees ;)

Small private forest behind my property that I manage.
Local mill needed logs badly, prices are up and we couldn't plant.
The forwarder comes friday, the logs are sold and hauled to the mill next week.
Fast little job.

I wouldn't want to do technical treework in the dark, but straightforward stuff would be pretty nice. I don't like working in the sun; treework, or just about any work. A nice overcast day makes it easier to see, without having strong shadows confusing the situation, or lighting up your eye protection like a jul tree.

most of my night work consists of raking and hauling logs, but ive done a few crane picks in the dusk/near dark with no moon

I love working at night, id MUCH rather set up light towers around a job and run all night instead of all day, cooler, less traffic, less pedestrians, and more concentration

I don't like light plants. The experience ranges from "Can't see shit out here" to "Holy shit, I'm blind!". Doing bridges at night, I'd rather work with the ambient light of the traffic, and a flashlight when I need to see something well.

I can dig the cooler temps at night though. Well, except that one I did right after new year. It was 18° actual, but luckily no wind.

I have a car dealer pretty close to me, and nights when it's snowing, I can see well enough to read outside from the reflected light. The light pollution is usually really irritating, but it does make snowy nights pretty.

Point? I have a small ash that I want to remove this season. Going out in the snow after dark to remove it would be amazing. That might be my new plan. If we get another lame snow year, I'll just remove it normally.

I agree, but I wasn't about to pay $600 and wait 3 weeks for the crane to make one last pick, especially since it was an $11000 job, and we had already kept re-scheduling for over a month due to snow
wasn't a job where we could rig stuff, tree was too compromised and too many things to hit down below including a natural gas line, deck, roof, fence, A/C unit, irrigation, and a few other trees

Back