The Official Work Pictures Thread

The trunk only gets wider, it doesn't get longer or taller. Tree Physiology 101. You guys should know this. 8)
Same for the twist, they don't.
All is said and done when the material densily packed in the bud elongates in the spring to give the sprout.
The cells generated by the meristem can be set in an helical patern instead of a straight line. The elongation of this patern gives the actual twist of the initial sprout. Usually it's a very very smal angle, like it can take several dozen of feet to make a full turn. When the sprout settles and hardens, that's all, nothing more wil never happen for its length. But the following years it will grow in diameter, keeping the slight helical sheme. For example, say a 3' to makes a 360°, hard twist for a tree but barely noticeable on a thin 1/8" diameter sprout, if at all (=1.2° deviation from axis). After several years of growth, the sprout becomes a 40" trunk. Notice that the external cell's files still have 3' axial to make the turn, but to do so, have to travel all around the 40" trunk. Now that's a 128" trip (instead of a 36" trip) with a 74° deviation from axis !
That's no more a tree but a corkscrew, while nothing moved at all, just by geometry.

Same for the twist, they don't.
All is said and done when the material densily packed in the bud elongates in the spring to give the sprout.
The cells generated by the meristem can be set in an helical patern instead of a straight line. The elongation of this patern gives the actual twist of the initial sprout. Usually it's a very very smal angle, like it can take several dozen of feet to make a full turn. When the sprout settles and hardens, that's all, nothing more wil never happen for its length. But the following years it will grow in diameter, keeping the slight helical sheme. For example, say a 3' to makes a 360°, hard twist for a tree but barely noticeable on a thin 1/8" diameter sprout, if at all (=1.2° deviation from axis). After several years of growth, the sprout becomes a 40" trunk. Notice that the external cell's files still have 3' axial to make the turn, but to do so, have to travel all around the 40" trunk. Now that's a 128" trip (instead of a 36" trip) with a 74° deviation from axis !
That's no more a tree but a corkscrew, while nothing moved at all, just by geometry.
You're easier to understand than Treespyder (another long time member here) and English isn't even your first language. :thumbup:

Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka'
Common Name(s):
  • Hollywood Juniper
  • Torulosa Juniper
  • The artistic appearance of its twisted, rustic form makes this a wonderful landscape accent. An excellent evergreen for use as a topiary specimen in containers and formal gardens. Well-suited for cooler coastal regions.
5A388FED-3F8D-49BF-8DCF-7281BE308A6C.jpeg
7D3D2268-A5DA-48F5-9696-A06CBD0033B3.jpeg

Last edited:
In CT we weren't talking serious cold but it was hella chilly! Any water froze solid so I was very happy I had gone to my trucks the day before and removed rain water from all the potential trouble spots, e.g. the 1 pocket on the chipper drum that was full of rain water, if it turned to ice then the drum would be seriously out of balance and removing the ice would take a torch and 10 minutes.

Cool, thanks Gerry!

15f -9C at dawn. Warmed Up to -2C by afternoon. Nice and calm day, actually pretty comfortable. That's about as cold as it consistently gets here on the coast, and about our Lower end for working in these days.

How cold before you folks in Scandinavia call off jobs?

Cool, thanks Gerry!

15f -9C at dawn. Warmed Up to -2C by afternoon. Nice and calm day, actually pretty comfortable. That's about as cold as it consistently gets here on the coast, and about our Lower end for working in these days.

How cold before you folks in Scandinavia call off jobs?

Thanks,

I don’t tend to mind the cold once I am working. It is the added chill from the wind.

A few years ago a big cold spell came through. We were due to remove some trees for the Technical Museum and it was on a river bank. It was about -14 and then windchill taking it down to -20c or less.

We called that one off as it would have been horrendous. I think that is the only job I recall not working due to cold.

Many days have been cancelled for torrential rain or heavy snow. Job dependent I guess.

Back