The Official Work Pictures Thread

Well I went out to work this morning and it was -6c at the job site. Misty and could hardly see the fjord. Supposed to be pruning two Horse Chestnut trees. Working solo with a colleague due to arrive to chip up once he was done elsewhere.

I arrived, icy access road on a hill. Two shitty trees that can wait. Two kids at home alone and the missus having to go into Oslo on business.

Quick knock on the door and then a drive home and it has been rebooked for January some time.

Merry Christmas, off snowboarding in a few hours with the oldest kiddo.

This 50+ year old cedar tree was struck by lightning at least 10 years ago, leaving a long vertical split completely through the trunk. The owner wanted to keep the tree but was worried about it coming apart and about the loud creaking noises it made when the wind blew. I took about 20 feet out of the top and reshaped it to look somewhat like a tree again. Also took out a lot of deadwood.

L Johnson 1.jpg
L Johnson 2.jpg
L Johnson 3.jpg
L Johnson 4.jpg

Save the tree, mitigate the hazard. Nice. Hourly it will perk up, over time.

@cory, that's smart thinking. How does water get into that pocket? Do you get corrosion issues from it in warmer weather?

I found out Arbor Trolleys need drain holes in freezing weather after rain.

I don't decide how to cut, prune, cut trees. I'm working on a project. Some of these projects are quite exotic. :) For example, these three trees. Do you think this is the right project. How would you do that? B74C9A24-4D85-408F-89C3-9266BCE8ED5B.jpeg 295091A3-E4D9-4139-92C2-0D2E50B71B81.jpeg A779E4E8-4072-4646-8C29-C5DB328DFA29.jpeg

How does water get into that pocket? Do you get corrosion issues from it in warmer weather?

It just trickles in thru the drum hood over it, and if the pocket happens to be in the right position, it can fill with some water.

No corrosion issues, it's very thick metal and the water doesn't stay there for long

Painting cuts was proven a long time to be a problem for trees, generally speaking.

Storm-damaged limbs that are at risk of infection of a major disease, such as Dutch Elm Disease, which are damaged when the beetles are flying in the warm weather might be an exception. Beetles carry the fungi from tree to tree. Painting wood, or LacBalsam wound sealant, or similar may help in rare cases.

We call cutting trees without regard for their anatomy and growth in response to cutting as "tree trimming". My mom would trim a tree away from a sidewalk. The guy with the pole saw who wants the tree away from his house would "trim" it.

Likely no targeted- pruning cuts or awareness of branch- collars.

Cutting a tree with understanding of tree biology/ anatomy, and with an intention about how the tree will respond with new growth is "pruning" as a part of "tree care".

An arborist would prune the tree and clear the sidewalk. The average homeowner just cuts off what they think they don't want, stopping there.

Does you customer have any good reason to want the trees cut like that?

Did your customer have any goals or objectives for the trees?

627CB785-4340-49AE-9CED-0D4BA4259AC7.jpeg “Set them on the road, the log trick is just down the street”
Twenty minutes later “ Pick them up and set them by the curb. We don’t know where he is now”
Ryan and I broke away to bring this spar down while the bucket guys opened a hole up for the crane to fit at another site. Kinda sucked laying the first log down by myself. I had to get out and unhook my own chokers! I got to do everything for this place😆

Five hours to get all the small limbs off and chipped today. An hour with the crane tomorrow and we're done. The last log I tossed from about 30 feet up cracked the water supply line for the house. Shut the water off at the meter and called a local plumber who came and fixed it quickly. I gave him all the cash I had in my wallet; $234.

Garcia 1.jpg Garcia 2.jpg Garcia 3.jpg Garcia 4.jpg Garcia 5.jpg

Ah, so you do have access to the other side of the fence. Looked like a single residence, but the chainlink location's kinda weird for that.

Back