The Official Work Pictures Thread

I just replenished it with two Franklins and two Grants. I like to pay cash for most day to day expenses. It's a Dave Ramsey thing. It keeps me from spending money on frivolous stuff. You can swipe a credit card for virtually any amount without giving it a second thought but when you have to count out the bills, it makes a difference. The physical act of handing over cash money makes you much more aware of what you're doing. ymmv

Alex Shigo is an authoritative guy, but my personal experience shows that it is still better to paint over the slices.And besides, we have such rules here. As we say: ,,,В каждой избушке свои погремушки,,. :)
Are you doing Control and Variable experimental conditions, or just observing your cuts? What is your comparison? What is your time frame?

I don't decide how to cut, prune, cut trees. I'm working on a project. Some of these projects are quite exotic. :) For example, these three trees. Do you think this is the right project. How would you do that? View attachment 116871View attachment 116872View attachment 116873
Are these trees blocking the view of the buildings?

I don't see that they "need" anything.

What is the problem, in the eyes of the customer?

Does the customer have any knowledge of trees?
Doors the customer also go to the doctor/ mechanic/ architect/ carpenter and say what the they should do?

Ok.

I believe he asked for alternative ways to hard topping and reduction. I don't know if they are done at nodes or not.

As well, he asked who has disproven habitual painting of cuts.

Not too far back, he wasn't using functional hinges.

Seems like progress.

Respectfully, what's your impression of that tree care style, cutting and painting? Any room for improvement?

Are these trees blocking the view of the buildings?

I don't see that they "need" anything.

What is the problem, in the eyes of the customer?

Does the customer have any knowledge of trees?
Doors the customer also go to the doctor/ mechanic/ architect/ carpenter and say what the they should do?
If I discuss with each customer about each tree, then I will have absolutely no time to work.

I've said before, "When a customer asks if a tree is a risk I will give them my honest opinion." Based on a thorough evaluation of said tree, and the immediate surrounding area it could reach.

From experience I have learned that when a customer asks that question they are afraid of the tree, and they want me to tell them that it represents a danger . But they can't bring themselves to say they are afraid of the tree, and that they want it gone.

The proof comes about two weeks later when I drive by their place, and that tree will be gone. They found someone to tell them what they wanted to hear.

Damn, lost another one. Customer psychology 101.

Absolutely right, Jerry. Another tell tale sign is when they want you to prune the crap out of a tree, and you talk them into a proper, less radical prune. Then a year later they want you to prune it again. When you finally prune it to death, they will at that point pay you to remove it "because it's in such bad shape".
If you don't kill it by over pruning, they will pay somebody else to do it. Took me a long time to learn that and I lost many jobs and clients because of it.

Last edited:
I feel bad and dumb when I take time to explain thoroughly to a customer why heavy prune is bad practice and armful for the tree, and then have to do it anyway because it isn't my job.

Last edited:
I started in tree work many years ago as an idealist. It only took a few years for me to become a realist. If you know, you know.

Reactions: Jed
Same here. No danger of anything really bad, but it's been dry this fall. Gonna be almost 60° tomorrow, and a 50% chance of rain.

It's hot for this time of year, and definitely hot for treework. Relatively speaking of course. It's still a million times better than August with 95° and as much humidity.

I have large amounts of trees retained after inspection.

I also tell them i have no concern over most individual trees, rather a healthy urban or rural forest ecosystem.

Any tree can go.

I can let any tree stay.

I might tell them I'll get paid much more to take off of their property by the insurance company, and I recommend removal.

Easier for some people to say to remove the individual tree or 10 when they have 300 trees on their property, or 3000, than a single yard tree or 5.

Individual markets and customers are quite variable.

Sure, some trees have gone away for panic/ fear reasons, or personal preference.

Sometimes, a sound and healthy tree crushes a home.

Sometimes, people live around big trees with coastal winds or hurricanes. They are more likely to be scared, for good reasons.

Back