The Official Work Pictures Thread

Almost as well John.

Gary, just palm a plastic wedge under the chain, and then ram it super hard with your palm. Works way better that the screw driver. It will render the drivers tight as can be in a bar groove, and a guy can go to town.

It might be a bit quicker to get a sqr/sqr chain that is ground from the factory like STIHL RSLK and then put the “finishing touches” on it by hand with the file. Unfortunately it seems this RSLK is not available here on the East Coast so converting RS it will be if I want to run square grind / filed. I’ve done a few test cuts with the Husqvarna C-83 x cut chain(which is 8-10% quicker off the reel than RS) and it appears that the sqr/sqr is about 10-12% quicker than the C-83. Its too cold to do much outside but when the weather warms I’ve got a nice processing job to do - I’d like to test the durability and length of time between touch-ups of the sqr/sqr. With the round chain I get about a tank or so before the performance warrants a touch-up, it will be interesting to see how long the sqr/sqr lasts

That looks pretty darn good Frankie. Try just leaving the chain on the bar, and ramming a wedge between the bar and chain on the bottom super tight... that renders the drivers on the top side of the bar, in the bar groove very tight and quite stable for square filing. A guy can run through a whole chain in very slightly longer than it takes to file round.
Thanks Jedi ! The reason I’m filing in a vise grip held in a vice is so that I can see the tooth (under bright light) and compare to an already properly ground / filed tooth. It’s easier for me this way until I get the muscle memory / visual down. Once I progress from padawan stage I’ll do it right on the bar like you and others here suggest ... damn it’s colder than a room full of ex-wives this morning

Nice man, that loader is earning its keep for sure. He's about ready to get chewed out for standing there at the base when the tree tips rather than getting out of dodge. Better to be slapped around by you than the trunk. Also I'm jealous of your dramatically better weather lol

No surrounding trees, no dramas.

The loader is getting replaced by a brand new one end of the month, due to a hydraulic leak that they can’t fix.

I’ll enlarge on the whole thing once it’s in my barn, suffice to say it’ll put an end to a difficult year of complaints and negotiations.

Fine vid showing a tight operation.

At risk of asking same question again, what grapple is that? Can all grapples (eg a BMG) grab a log sideways rigidly like yours can? The grapple looks nice. What do you use to clean up stump mulch with? If you say a bucket or grapple bucket, are there any issues carrying both on your trailer, fit-wise?

It’s a Klou fixed grab Cory. You’ll have to google it to see it’s capabilities as describing how it works is hard, although it’s simple really.

I use a bucket for grindings. The bucket is light and easy to carry independently, the grab has to be loaded with the machine as it’s too heavy to load by hand.

Seriously.
Seriously.

Frankie: I think you will find as we do, that square is slightly more durable than round.

BTW: if there happens to be any poor soul on here who has had the misfortune of never running proper square grind, and then has had the further misfortune of running factory (Stihl or Oregon don’t matter) “square grind”, then doubtlessly, you will never bother with”square grind,” again, and I personally wouldn’t fault you... in my opinion, it is even worse than factory round grind, and that’s saying something.

Last edited:
Nice video Mick. I can't believe they couldn't fix a hydraulic leak???? WTF ??? How lame is that for an equipment manufacturer

I’ll explain a bit, the hydraulic tank is welded into the frame, deep in there. The leak is from a microscopic hole in a weld hidden between the tank and other plates.
In other words the whole machine would have to be angle ground apart and rewelded up.
They tried a product to seal it from the inside but that only managed to block up the hydraulic oil filter.
Eventually they’ve decided to take it back to the factory and give me a new one.
I’ll only really believe it when I have it, but it’s a pretty good result.

Yes it is, and i would be thinking of turning round and selling it the moment i took delivery of it. That is completely ignorant to build something that way, and they've already proved that they can't control the welding procedures.

Yes it is, and i would be thinking of turning round and selling it the moment i took delivery of it. That is completely ignorant to build something that way, and they've already proved that they can't control the welding procedures.
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes mistakes happen, it’s a high spec machine from a top end marque (re-badged and sold as Vermeer over there)
The other model I had was faultless, and whilst I’m not thrilled at the service the manufacturer is in northern Italy where C19 shut the factory, then the French supplier couldn’t send anyone because of inter departmental travel bans.
A recipe for procrastination.

I won’t be selling it.

810C5055-E5FC-4CC0-AA54-E073CFF24D50.jpeg B80A4021-1AB9-4D87-8732-813555D76E9A.jpeg 621BC3F8-887E-4972-9F85-39A6A6BF6F44.jpeg ... should be enough grease from this job to get a simington grinder ... A C83 X-Cut chain square ground or filed coupled with a Hotwoods ported saw with the Class .5HRC black market hyperdrive kit installed should make for an almost unbeatable combination at 50%+ faster cutting over stock ! ...

Attachments

• 759DA214-686B-4A3C-86D6-45D508DBC98D.jpeg
    759DA214-686B-4A3C-86D6-45D508DBC98D.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3

Sometimes mistakes happen, it’s a high spec machine from a top end marque (re-badged and sold as Vermeer over there)
The other model I had was faultless, and whilst I’m not thrilled at the service the manufacturer is in northern Italy where C19 shut the factory, then the French supplier couldn’t send anyone because of inter departmental travel bans.
A recipe for procrastination.

I won’t be selling it.
[/QUOTE]
Too bad ya couldn’t get in there with some cardboard and get a general idear where it’s leaking , from there an inspection mirror might be able to pinpoint the exact location and then affect repairs accordingly. Of course if it’s deep in the bowels of the machine with no access it’s all in the garbage

I know exactly (well nearly) where it’s leaking @Frankie
I spent hours testing, running, wiping etc. during lockdown finding it.
It’s in the worst possible situation, requiring a complete de fabrication.

Looks like an excellent machine from what I’ve seen of it. I cannot believe they would fit the hydraulic reservoir such that it could not be replaced/serviced. If you can “see” the leak then it should be possible (even having to drill / cut an access hole) to clean / grind the area and weld a small “patch” over the pin hole. Then again I’m just a tinfoil hatter what do I know 😀

I'm not sure I'd want a new machine hacked up to fix a manufacturing defect. If they kicked some money back to me, I might be interested depending on the number they were thinking of.

1C96027E-F069-46F1-906A-F3E43C23352D.jpeg 163152F1-36D0-449D-AD66-F8F65DDAA278.jpeg
Looks like an excellent machine from what I’ve seen of it. I cannot believe they would fit the hydraulic reservoir such that it could not be replaced/serviced. If you can “see” the leak then it should be possible (even having to drill / cut an access hole) to clean / grind the area and weld a small “patch” over the pin hole. Then again I’m just a tinfoil hatter what do I know 😀

When we discuss this stuff Frankie, it’s fine, just two guys in the saw world.

Anyway the tank is welded up then welded between two large plates that form the frame, I’ve added two pics that I sent to the supplier. The pic from underneath shows how oil seeps from the void up where the arrow points, no way you could reach that.

The other photo is the tank from the top showing how it’s seated and welded between the two side plates. Forget the arrow pointing to the filter housing.

1C96027E-F069-46F1-906A-F3E43C23352D.jpeg

If they are furnishing you with a brand new unit and taking the old one back (after having used it for “x” amount of hours) straight up then it’s a no brainer. Somehow I doubt this is the case. (Pics viewed)Unbelievable that they welded the tank reservoir in like that! Should have welded brackets to the tank and then bolts holding tank to frame to allow for service/replacement - Renault engineering at its finest!

Last edited:
If they are furnishing you with a brand new unit and taking the old one back (after having used it for “x” amount of hours) straight up then it’s a no brainer. Somehow I doubt this is the case

Only 250 hours, and yes this is what is being done, new for old.
Apart from swapping out the tyres I’m getting a brand new machine.

Back