The Official Work Pictures Thread

I wanna say that house is approx 32 y o based on the rings.

@Jed

Last edited:
Was busy parenting last week, and rainy yesterday. We finished up phase 2, today, with a couple hours working together, on our 1 year anniversary as a couple.

The drainage basin refilled.

The homeowners changed their mind on keeping the main trunk.
That's phase 3, after the initial storm damage that broke the leader into their deck ( and a leader that broke and was lodged, but I didn't realize it until starting phase 2).

The main trunk is 40" or so. Bigger butt.

20210223_163535.jpg

20210223_163549.jpg

20210223_163606.jpg

Your muffs look like mine Sean, minus the Senas. Kinda sorry I got them. I bought based on price and sound attenuation without considering bulk and weight. I've almost pulled the trigger on some Husqvarna muffs, but don't want to be frivolous with my money. I really like the ones on my ground helmet, and wish I had them on my climbing helmet.

Cory, what's your thought process behind the house date? Those trees are a good bit older than 32, but your date looks like it might be close based on what I can see of the house. Looks newer than the 70s at least.

John, if I can live with the audacity of speaking for him (and that is no small matter) he is just basing his estimate off of the space in the rings where the early-wood (whitish) and the late-wood (dark brownish) assume a more even and spacious regularity. In this case Cory happens to have drilled the nail on the head (as far as I am aware) with regard to the exact age of that neighborhood. One can just see the exact ring when the treesā€™ competitors are cut down, allowing that light-pig (Douglas Fir, in this case, but any tree for that matter) to pig out in FORCE.

Yeah... That Cory, man... I tell ya what... ainā€™t too much slippin by him.

Sean: Man, what a snott-show were into with the weather, eh?

Last edited:
Yes, Jed hit it exactly.

One can just see the exact ring when the treesā€™ competitors are cut down, allowing that light-pig (Douglas Fir, in this case, but any tree for that matter) to pig out in FORCE.

I found it most visible and easy to count the rings in the final pic of the stump cut, the rings rear of that sweet hinge, in the foreground

And hey, how about those same growth rings (behind the hinge at bottom of picture), I'm guessing they are on the south side of the stump as they are a bit fatter than the others

Are those ginormous rings typical? What I'm getting around to, is that's pretty valuable wood, at least for an amateur sawyer. Does those big rings reduce the value?

Lowland Washington sodden hog type. In my opinion as a former timber framer and logsmith the wood from fertile poor drainage wet temperate low Washington is of some of the lowest grade. Only to be bested for being worse by whatever China sends in pallets. Burns nicely once it's dry!

So check out the rings on old Sempervirens Redpig today Corey. I had my buddy put his hand in the shot for perspective. This five and a half foot triceratops pig made 15 yards of chips. Theyā€™re retaining the stump.View attachment 108403View attachment 108404View attachment 108405
Sweet pics Jedi šŸ’Ŗ I looked up the genus , sequoia. Iā€™d buck that timber all day - a gent could do Alotta testing of saws and chains in that size wood. Seldom do we see that girth-y-ness here in WNY. Thanks for the pics bro, always nice to see the product! Imho one of the most underrated guitarists of all time Uli J Roth ... this came out in the 70ā€™s ... Excellent cutting music šŸ˜€ ...

Your muffs look like mine Sean, minus the Senas. Kinda sorry I got them. I bought based on price and sound attenuation without considering bulk and weight. I've almost pulled the trigger on some Husqvarna muffs, but don't want to be frivolous with my money. I really like the ones on my ground helmet, and wish I had them on my climbing helmet.

Cory, what's your thought process behind the house date? Those trees are a good bit older than 32, but your date looks like it might be close based on what I can see of the house. Looks newer than the 70s at least.
I use Husqy muffs on my Petzl Vettex vents. Partstree.com

Lowland Washington sodden hog type. In my opinion as a former timber framer and logsmith the wood from fertile poor drainage wet temperate low Washington is of some of the lowest grade. Only to be bested for being worse by whatever China sends in pallets. Burns nicely once it's dry!
This. Nobody wants that fluff. That pig was forty years old gentlemen. Brashiest holding wood a guy ever had to deal with. Lignin matters. When those guys halfta grow in very low-light and drier situations, Iā€™ve got a feeling weā€™d be looking at an entirely different animal. Which brings me to my second point, Frankie. Namely that I really do believe that the fir that grows over in your neck of the woods really is rather Balsa-ish. Just know thatā€”with Firā€”darkness matters.... Man, I know what you meanā€¦ I donā€™t know how many times I have encountered what we call, ā€œAdolescent Town Fluff,ā€ meaning, Fir about 35 years old that has had no competitors... Man, I would never even take that stuff home as firewood. BUT!!... then get out into a really dark, wind-hammered wood, and try to make a Humboldt with a Madsenā€™s ported Stihl 500i sporting 105 drivers of square-ground semi-skip with rakers at EXACTLY 30 thousandths, and Iā€™m here ta tell ya right now that it ainā€™t happenin,... ā€œbrrrrnnnttt... brrrrnnnntt... brrrrnntttt.ā€ (I am now trying to imitate the noise that the engine makes, when it cannot pull a chain.). Dude, that stuff is TOUGH on the stump, and no mistake. Lignin matters... burns HOT all night long with the damper still partly open.

Taking out some stone dead pitch pine in town today. Sven high stumping to get one to fit. Gorgeous day, easy , and killer access, and a slice of pizza on the way home- what more could a guy want.

Jed- good eye for the weather in my last picture, was getting hammered by a snow squall.

20210226_091846.jpg

The only fir native to NY is balsam fir (Abies balsamea) Jedi although there are imported firs grown on farms for Xmas trees. The only Franken500i Iā€™ve seen (and canā€™t speak to what Madsens does to their saws but have a good idear ) is the one featured in the latest video R/D adventures of one JB and she doesnā€™t make my big toe shoot up in my boot at all. A righteous-built 500i with ā€œhot-sauceā€ should pull a 32ā€ with authority in our wny hardwood and I venture to guess at least 36ā€ out in your neck o the woods.

Back