The Official Work Pictures Thread

I'm not sure I'd want a new machine hacked up to fix a manufacturing defect. If they kicked some money back to me, I might be interested depending on the number they were thinking of.

Not a manufacturing defect, a hole (albeit microscopic) in a weld that only leaks when the tank is under 1bar of pressure, perhaps @Tree09 could tell us how that happens.

Then the hell with doiturself then. 250hrs of free use , I’d hope the new one develops the same issue - you’ll come out light years ahead ... mark my words 😂

Last edited:
Bad welds, specifically either lack of fusion or porosity. It happens, but the failure rate should be almost miniscule, but since it's leaking with no pressure is likely fairly common (1 bar is atmospheric pressure, aka none). I'm sorry but that's the truth. What scares me is the fact that any fuel, hydraulic, or other tank will develop water in the product, which will eventually corrode, find weak spots in the welds, and leak. So later in the machines life this will be an issue (no matter how good the welds are), and it's an issue by design. This is one way that companies utilize planned obsolescence. I'm sorry, and i understand that it's a highly engineered machine that is integral to your business, but that is a terrible design. It happens in cars too, with 100 times the engineering. It could honestly be bypassed fairly easily by adding a different tank somewhere and the rerouting the hydraulic lines to it, but that is unacceptable on a new machine. But when the warranty runs out on it that's likely the only option.

Seriously.

Frankie: I think you will find as we do, that square is slightly more durable than round.

BTW: if there happens to be any poor soul on here who has had the misfortune of never running proper square grind, and then has had the further misfortune of running factory (Stihl or Oregon don’t matter) “square grind”, then doubtlessly, you will never bother with”square grind,” again, and I personally wouldn’t fault you... in my opinion, it is even worse than factory round grind, and that’s saying something.
I’ve seen videos showing as much. The off the roll STIHL RSLK (STIHLS square ground chain) performed horribly. When trued up with file / grinder it whooped up on the round file. Now if I could just find a guy that could ship me a 25’ or 100’ reel of RSLK to WNY for a small fee on top and maybe 2 more double bevel files hmmm 🤔 ...

Last edited:
So later in the machines life this will be an issue (no matter how good the welds are), and it's an issue by design. This is one way that companies utilize planned obsolescence.

#scathing

That wasn't my intention, but that is a horrible idea. Back in the day things were designed to be able to work on them, that's no longer a design criteria today, in fact they usually go the other way with it. The problems often lie in the fact that the engineers think they have better control over certain things than they actually do. At cat they spent millions on trying to automate welding on the parts i made, and they didn't have a damn clue. I'm sure they eventually got the machines they needed, but they wasted millions before getting there. They used to say the average cat dozer goes on average 8 hours before it needs it's first repair. So it's not just this

Remember the ford 6.0? The pinto that would catch on fire if rear ended? The Firestone tire thing flipping cars over? Vw cheating emissions? John deere lawsuit over who is allowed diagnostic software? Apple slowly bricking their older devices? This is a very common problem with machines, and it's getting worse. Either a bad design or a design that will work for awhile then not.

Don’t shake yer head dude! Bad manners! Dude!! I gotta look up yer abbreviations on the stinkin interwebs! Again: (Why do I do it to myself?) I will endeavor into shaming you into rendering unto us the pictures which you so egregiously owe, since you are (from the shots that you have privately sent to me) one big sender, and no mistake!!!

it’s getting somewhat weird around here, in that these residential lot clearance jobs seem to be becoming increasingly more common. All of our elderly wealthy people seem to be getting tired of trees hitting their houses. I guess I can’t really say that I blame them.

C8EC8B43-A14E-41CB-B736-C6A21124021C.jpeg 748FEFDB-8BD8-44EC-9BCA-7D050E7F28BB.jpeg FD33A75D-B3F0-498A-8E08-83F8E77E2578.jpeg AB66C53C-B71B-4AEA-9C30-0BE7CA69B21A.jpeg
View attachment IMG_1552.MOV

I like the spot you chose on your spurs for the buckle

@Frankie Can't you order the chain from your dealer? Mine will get me anything in the NA catalog. I had to order a reel of pm cause he said he doesn't have enough local demand to carry it.

You can ... and pay around $500 for a 100’ reel of RSLK. STIHL east coast prices. The same reel is cheaper on the west coast but they WILL NOT ship to you. I think I’m just going to convert the C83 x-cut into sqr/sqr. It’s a fast cutting chain in sqr/rnd configuration - here’s a video of a guy that has already done this : his file skills are Jedi caliber .... ...
Hotwoods ported saws will simply annihilate the competition sporting the chain seen in this video ( he’s using c85 3/8 .058, I have c83 3/8 .05) ... This combination will dominate

Last edited:
Stihl stuff isn't supposed to be shipped anywhere. Not a problem for indies, but a dealer could probably get their license yanked if corporate found out about it.

Yeah Frankie, Stihl Fan Suisse is the man. If a guy were deaf, I suppose he would have about the coolest videos in the world. What’s up with Euros and their electronica/techno??? That dude uses some crazy side-plate angles. I’ve tried that and wasn’t super stoked.

Sean: Too snotty out for denim? What material do you wear other than rain gear? 914ACF85-8FB0-4C4C-ADB3-8F337B1EC396.jpeg BF72C11D-077A-46BA-A666-99C43FB7FA38.jpeg

He uses the 75deg +or- on the x cut only. STIHL RS 85deg ... Is that a BBR wood bullet axe ? 😁

Jed,

Arborwear tech pants. Soft shell jacket.
Almost every day, work week and working around the house.

They last and last and last. Dry quickly. Gusseted crotch. Teflon-coated... helps rain shed. Cargo pockets accessible while saddled up.

I don't wear rain pants in the tree, except when really needing to...very, very rarely.

Once the top is off a conifer, and the umbrella is gone, I'm quick to chunk a stem down.

Taking a torn out top off this one. It had just missed the garage and nicked the roof edge on the house. I had to rig it down and a lot of cut and toss limbs. Service line and house below.
Im being hired to go back and wind firm the remaining top. Tried to talk them into removal. But I guess they are feeling lucky. Quite literally fell between the buildings there threading a needle. Ah, mother nature.
FullSizeR(1).jpg IMG_5728.jpg FullSizeR(2).jpg

Back