The Official Work Pictures Thread

Didn't know there was a western white pine. Needles look just like eastern but bark is very different

When an employee is involved...
Saw pants are a business write off..
If your employee cuts themselves with a saw....
Where does the buck stop?

Your screwed if you don't make employees use required PPE, chaps or seat belts or eye pro...

I haven't ever seen a climber chainsaw injury stat.

Cutting your hands/ arm is a lot more likely to happen.

Cutting your neck is more lethal.
Rather cut my arm than face.
A woman I know who got a ms460 to the face is still cute. Not as much as before, perhaps. A chainsaw scar wouldn't help my looks either.

That was on the ground, USFS woodland fire fighter.

Can you image a tree salesperson showing up to the bid with a chainsaw scar to the face. Bad for biz, I'd guess.

Climbers only?
Pro climbers only?
Pro's only?

I'm not going to worry about becoming obese because lots of Americans LOVE McDonald's and sitting on their ass.

Personally, my real concern in tree work is not the saw, it's employees, customers, and hidden defects/ obvious major defects/ storm work.

Do cuts count as "struck-by" injuries?

I used to give that graphic more credence, but then realized that it is more than 20 years old, it is US only, and it doesn't break things out by overall (which I assume it is), then calling out professional worker injuries, then percentages of those wearing Kevlar PPE gear. OSHA probably keeps those stats. I would suspect just limiting it to pros would radically limit the results and would also change where on the body the injuries occur. Climbers vs. Ground Crew, etc. Ground crew probably gets more leg & foot injuries, and climbers probably more hand & arm given the working style (reaching while holding wood).

Climbers only?
Pro climbers only?
Pro's only?

I'm not going to worry about becoming obese because lots of Americans LOVE McDonald's and sitting on their ass.

Personally, my real concern in tree work is not the saw, it's employees, customers, and hidden defects/ obvious major defects/ storm work.

Do cuts count as "struck-by" injuries?

Sean, you do see very proactive in promoting good work position, healthy eating, good technique, healthy lifestyle in order to work longer and be more sustainable in the industry.

I would have thought that simple point of wearing cutting pants or chaps would be the single most effective thing to help sustain careers.

A seatbelt is a huge, huge, huge help in a crash.

First line of defense is to be ready to drive before entering the car, including a plan to avoid hazards like known bad intersections, rush hour, drunk hour.

Second line of defense is good driving techniques, like keeping an exit strategy (like swerving into the next lane's open spot if someone with a poorly-secured load is up ahead on the highway loses something...been there), good following distances, separation of risks (like don't pass a huge truck entering a tunnel with a huge sidewind), etc.

Maybe third is smashing your body into the seatbelt in a crash, rather than the interior of the car. My friend slid his car into a big truck one time, and was black and blue across the waist and chest from the impact force. Would have been better to have avoided the icy roads, driven slower, etc.

I use my metabolism/ digestion for supplying energy for me 24/7.
I use my eyes about 16-18 hours a day.
Good work positioning, whether in the tree or picking up my kid protect my joints, etc.

PPE IS ALWAYS THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE.

Of all your protections and PPE, which do you use most and which do you use least? I've seen a bunch of novices cut their chaps on the left thigh from improper holding of the tool (used to work with a conservation program--AmeriCorps programs are modeled after peace corps, but for domestic social good-- lots of rookies being taught by people who weren't very good). How many chainsaw cuts have you had over the years? I actually took out chainsaw cut stitches from a macho Mexican guy who didn't want to go back to the doctor to have them removed (removing basic stitches, with out infection is child's-play, don't ask me to put them in). Dumb macho guy was standing over a hot 'girl' with an ms440, who got a kickback from poor technique, slashing through small stems, getting Antonio in the chest and wrist, barely with the chain. Leg pro wouldn't have helped him.

Closest I've had was a kickback, 13 years ago, cutting a couple pieces of wood for the stove one night. Surprised me. Leg pro woulda been worthless.

About 8 years ago, I popped a huge, heavy doug-fir limb from part way out, drop-cut to drop it straight down without swinging back into the fence. The rebound of the stub coming up so suddenly, from such a sudden release of leverage actually sorta 'launched' the saw up off the stub (equal and opposite reaction) activating the inertia-mechanism of the chain brake, plus I was well out to the side of the kickback zone. Surprised me. Not a close call.

I'm not picking a fight here, as a preface, but to me, with my limited sparring experience from 8 months of training aikido at 18, I'd be much more concerned about injury, particularly with my shoulder issue and history of overuse, from sparring than tree work. Competition, forget it. More power to you.

I competed in a tree comp a couple years ago. DUMB. My shoulder hurt afterward (no surprise). My normal very injury-averse nature (not risk-averse nature) took the backstage. Not so great to be racing when you are changing life-support systems and not being so ergonomic, as it was a sprint comp not a marathon comp (typical 5 minute heats, not 5 hour treework sessions).

When I was an in-tree tech, about 7 years ago at an ISA TCC, my old boss of 3 months from when I first moved to Olympia almost fell from 60' sprinting to change life-support systems. Sketch. Other people have died racing at TCCs, I believe.

My old boss at State Parks was at an ISA TCC weekend. A experience pro was working with one TIP. My old boss was wondering why he would do a demo with only one TIP while cutting. About 0.83 seconds after cutting his one TIP, the presenter was on the ground, and IIRC died right there, possibly at the hospital.

Cutting myself is low on the risk-list. I use leg pro when I feel the other factor are compromised, like working on a muddy, brushy slope prevents good footing, work positioning, and escape plans. I'm very diligent about keeping my hand off the throttle interlock when moving (hold with ring and pinkie fingers at end of handle if not swing the saw to my left side/ left hand only. I don't want to sharpen my chain a lot, so unless I'm using good positioning and judgment, I'll be cutting sloppy and dull. I'll bet there is a high correlation of lacking skill-set with chainsaw cuts to the leg. Shit does happen, still, on a rare occasion to skilled pro's.

I always try to have a 'Ninja plan B', which might be throw the saw/ tool away from me if I slip, or if I'm elevated but not tied-in, like on the dump box with a tying a ladder or a roof or tying something on a tall trailer, I always am aware of my landing zone and tripping hazards. "Work or Walk"...don't do both when you can avoid it.

A pro sawyer will limb and change body position simultaneously, but my guys are instructed not to (if a real pro came to work for me with lots of safe experience, they could make the judgment calls, but for 'groundies' its different). If someone is working on the roof (securing a ladder, cleaning a roof), they (usually me) are directed to take their time and if they are moving position on the roof, don't be blowing at the same time. Move, work, move, work. Watch where you are stepping. One shoulder strap only, to be able to ditch the backpack blower (other hand stabilizes it).

I don't buy a single of those arguments.

Saw pants are so comfy today ( Unless you work in the tropics) I see no reason not to wear them.

Stig, do you climb all day in wet saw pants?

Brian, just responding to Rich, with some strong coffee in me.

Sometimes I wish I couldn't type as fast. I'd be more succinct.

Me neither (not buying any of those arguments) they’re preferable to jeans because of he padding around the knees for climbing.

As Stig says, extreme heat is a different kettle of fish.

Sean, I'm not reading all that. BTW, this is the work PICS thread. ;)

I would like to see more of Florida pics, BTW. I'll likely never get there. If I'm going for a beach, I'll probably aim to Mexico/Central America or if I'm lucky Australia/ Asia.

Back