The Official Work Pictures Thread

Maybe I am misinterpreting the scale, but I'm wondering what else you've been doing there for 2 days besides working on the tree. Sorry.

I stopped by yesterday after another job. Limbed some, advanced the line up the tree, checked in with the homeowner about material placement (chips and wood). Today, more of the same. The green limbs are all down. Cedars have lots of small limbs all around and are very tangly. Because I left some of the large limbs for speed lining tomorrow, it isn't as apparent where work was done up to the split top.

I only had a few hours between school drop off, a bid, and school pick-up. Shorty day, readying for manpower tomorrow. The low limbs needed to be pieced out or rigged (unnecessary PITA), as this tree has been pushing over the fence, and the nieghbor's garden is 1' from the temporary fence at the property line, I can't predictably dump them between all the old lattice on the deck and the fence, especially since many swooped up quite a bit, which wouldn't show in pics much (or at least these crappy pics).

The truck is parked out of the dropzone, barely, where an emergency exit is prepped for, facing out, no obstructions, doors closed. No need, clearly.

I only has one climb-line and one saddle, one climb saw and PPE, so I was able to make the uphill slog, after coming downhill at the start.

I burned a full tank. It started to rain a bit. I was spurless. Mostly climbing/ standing on the branches. Didn't want to make get too much down. Tomorrow, they will be able to chip what's down quickly, while I set up for topping.

Spurs weren't going to help me. Done enough of both to know. Three sets in the truck. Way easier to go up the initial 20' or so on rope than spur, and wiggled through a bunch of stuff for another 60', never worrying about stabbing myself. Mostly I was comfortably hanging from my rope, after slithering up to the top. Not a good tree to set a rope high. I spurred up it yesterday. Fat trunks are work to spur up. I climbing the tree with my hands, while on a low TIP.

Brian, two or four outriggers?

Do you just build up as high as the outriggers in the UP position? Have you blocked up under the frame to reset your outriggers on higher cribbing? Almost all of my bucket flying was on pavement/ hardened ground, relatively flat, never more than an outrigger pad.

Keep that sh-t level. I busted a rotation gear on my bucket. Luckily it was the small gear on the drive side and didn't chew up the turret side.

Suburban Logging

Job in Leawood, Kansas (right on the KS/Missouri border) -- driving up to the job in nice, well-to-do suburbia, you would never expect to do a logging-style job. Drop-n-chip 20 slightly declining white pines all around the back fenceline perimeter, leave all wood (19 in back, one in the front). Also fell a mature ash tree (3' DBH) over the back deck & roof. So we dug in for 2 days of fun. Main climber is off to visit some friends in Michigan, so we did it with my Paul Bunyan friend. No pics from the first day, these are from the 2nd day. Several were straight drops, some were pulled by hand, and several had significant back lean so they were pulled over by the winch through a redirect. Lot of felling, limbing & chipping, winching, and stacking logs. 2 loads of chips. Full pockets.
P1380157.jpg
P1380098.jpg
P1380140.jpg
P1380137.jpg
P1380078.jpg
P1380135.jpg
P1380113.jpg
P1380149.jpg

You guys still haven't decided on any kind of chaps or sawpants?
I'm heading for some Clogger Zero Gen2 next time...

Pruned a nice Oak tree yesterday.

We PICUS tested it a couple of weeks ago. One at the base and a couple around the main union to inspect for internal integrity as it had lost a large limb a while back.

We opted for a weight reduction and lift over the propert and a weight reduction on some of the laterals with existing wounds and over power lines.

Nice fridays work but a bit nippy. We have had a few specks of snow today.

Attachments

• 5D56ED21-C3BB-4498-9A97-97D27E1107A4.jpg
    5D56ED21-C3BB-4498-9A97-97D27E1107A4.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 3F2523F6-C086-446B-8518-0641FDB4354B.jpg
    3F2523F6-C086-446B-8518-0641FDB4354B.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 36
Those power lines are looking positively American! I thought it was mostly underground in Europe?

Looking into some saw chaps for extensive ground work sessions like this. I don't think the climbers would like any saw pants that were constrictive -- and no local places to try stuff on ahead of a purchase, so that makes it difficult to try-before-you-buy.

Western White Pine, not Eastern. But both grow here, since we're in the transition zone.

Back