The Official Work Pictures Thread

Chain: https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-3-8-...rstClass!37122!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I wouldn't expect Oregon to out last a top quality (as they have different levels of hardness) Stihl bar, but the amount that the 42" would get used should make it last a very long time. I have only ever felled 2 trees with mine in the year and a half I've had it, maybe a buck cut or two. I'd like to have a clamp on handle to put on the end for help aligning cuts.

The idea of a clamp on handle always gives me the heebie jeebies...but if you are wanting to do that a wide jaw visegrip like welders use will do the trick.

Ya, even August's GoPro clamped on the end of the bar was a nice video perspective effect, but it still gave me the heebie jeebies, too.

I'm thinking of skipping from a 460 and 461 past a ms661 and getting a 3120xp for about 50% more, or an Ms880, bit more than that.

Need a big oiler for a big milling bar.

How big will a ms461 pull in softwood, in a pinch for in-tree felling cuts, not bringing it down in rounds?
A bar that's less than $100 is consumable. IMG_20181031_143730280.jpg IMG_20181031_134434850_HDR.jpg IMG_20181031_134438450.jpg IMG_20181031_143722979.jpg

Yea, I kind of consider mine consumable too. If there's a tree big enough to need it, it will pay for the bar easy. I found the chain is so long that you can hit metal 2-3 times without hurting all the teeth.

Don't forget you could just setup a tank on the end of the mill to trickle thin oil into a hole drilled in the bar tip to keep fresh extra oil on the cutting/pressure side. Anyway, as for stock saws I find anything smaller than a 3120 or 880 doesn't oil well on bars longer than 28". Husqvarna recommends I think only up to 28" on their 395. I found a 32" was a tad dry on my 2188 (390, same oiler specs as 395), and a 36" very dry on our 660. I modded the oiler on my 2188, so it keeps even my 42" pretty moist at 1 tank of oil to a half tank of gas. My 2188 with only a minor muffler mod did surprisingly well in my opinion fully burying a 42" bar with square ground skip chain. I bet it would rip super slow though @42", so might as well get a 3120 for ripping.

You could probably get away with a 36" with skip chain on a 461 if only for a felling cut, but I bet it would be really slow. I found a 372 to be pretty slow with a fully buried 28" with full comp chain.

I've been running a modded 460 and 461-32" and 36" some since burning up my 660. Sharp chain and conifers... Pretty good.

I had a 32" ripping chain on for splitting this cedar... pleasantly surprised...given, it's a soft conifer.

Sean, if you want a long bar for climbing work, get one of Stihl's new light bars.

It makes the saw so much more manageable aloft.

Pricey, I know, but good things often are.

It is all we use for logging and climbing today.

460 or 461...going past a 28 inch bar is asking a lot for day in and out use. But for the occasional use, if you are willing to be patient :), 32 inch is absolute maximum, imo. And that's for softwoods. No way for true hardwoods.

And Stig is again right, this time about the lite bars.

Great match there, for true. The old 200T was balanced perfectly with a standard 12 inch bar, worked pretty well with a 14, but go to the 16? Gotta be a lite bar for good ergonomics.

I don't know how things balance with the 201T, or any of these other top handles. Since I'm retired now, my now infrequently used 200T will last forever, I expect :).

16" works quite well on the 020, 200T, and 201T. Especially if you have no other frame of reference -- that's all there is around here! It's what you learn on, what you get used to, it defines what "normal" balance is. Imagine someone born at sea on a boat, grew up on it, then comes ashore & gets landsick...

It may feel normal but balance is a physics thing. This translates to good ergonomics. I run a 14” and a 16” daily but neither are balanced perfect like a 12”. I still opt for the bigger bars for production reasons but I can assure there is a trade off. Certain parts of my body hurt more than they used to and it’s prolly from poor ergonomics. Definately not getting older, that’s for sure. I’m still a pup

I've wondered about the aluminum core bars. Are they lighter than Sugihara? Are Stihl light bars lighter? Can you still get aluminum core bars? I had imagined them, but didn't know they existed until watching Jerry's DVDs.

Quite a few years ago I changed from 14 - 12” bar on my 200t due to wrist pain. The ergonomics of one handing with the larger bar were greatly improved once the smaller was in there.

Do any of you guys run Sugihara bars? I have a 30” on my 660 and run them in 12 and 14 in on my 200t’s. Hard wearing and not too heavy. The saw feels pretty well balanced. It is possible I have just got used to them though.

12" balances way better on a 200t for one-handing. I had wrist pain from bucket work then switched one 200t to 12", one with 16".

I almost exclusively carry a 193t. I have had a 200T for years. Less body strain is worth a minimal amount of more time.

That's what I'm running and I am just a squirt.

'Course, I don't do it all day every day, either. Better ergonomics over time can be important.

But, you're all muscle.

Gary, have you ever thought of going around and speaking at grade school about health and fitness.

I would be a motivated 6th grader if a 65 year old whooped me at fitness contests. When I was a kid, and kids played outside, a lot of boys could barely do 5 pull-ups, some none.

I went to an 'aerial' show. Part of the build-up was audience competition to do pull-ups. Audience participants were doing a couple pull-ups, and the audience was impressed. The performers (mostly ladies) had the 'gun show', out-pull-up-ing dudes in the audience. I wasn't warmed up, and knew I popped out a set of pull-ups, my body would be mad at me.

The all muscle thing can roll around to bite you in the butt. Joints still take more wear and tear with un-ergonomic work positions, over time.

Sure, Gary or Butch or any number of our high strength to weight ratio members could hold an 044 with a 24 inch bar out in front of him, full extension, one-handed. I never could. Gary, Butch, et al likely would still eff up his wrist, elbow, and shoulder sooner than I would, if we both used that saw day in and out.

Back